Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Transmission Range Change Not Available
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
k1w1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Transmission Range Change Not Available

I've just started seeing this message (very briefly) on start-up, before the standard suspension setting message.

I tried the Low Range setting a short while later and it was fine.

Is this message something to be concerned about, or is it just a warning to the screen because the appropriate system hasn't yet booted up?

I assume the latter, but in my 1st brief week of ownership, I haven't seen it before.

PS. I always wait for the glow-plug lamp to go out, and for the 'bong' before heading off.

Post #3982929th Jan 2006 6:34 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

low battery voltage can cause this, particularly after several short journeys and an overnight stand with lots of wind chill. Take it for a good blast (you know you want to!) on a fast road for 30 - 40 mins or so, this should top your battery up well enough to cure it. It takes approximately 7 miles driving (not sitting in traffic) to replace the charge taken out by starting a car, more if the revs are low and 'heated everything' is on

Post #3983729th Jan 2006 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had this too, one of many faults took a few weeks with the dealer to sort. Eventually many software changes, every connection and earth point stripped and clened and a new alternator and alls well again. All my faults weren't actually faults just being generated by low power and erratic alternator.

Post #3984329th Jan 2006 7:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

K1W1, Do not worry, mine did this today Shocked It has been standing on the drive for 3 days in the cold, and did a few short journeys before it was parked up. It turned over slower than normal when I started it. A very brief flash of "Transmission Range Change Not Available" then all was fine.

I have seen this before when I accidentaly flattened the battery playing with the pre-heater.

I think tfc's diagnosis is spot on.

Post #3984629th Jan 2006 7:08 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have had this error and also TR unavailable message upon start up but the two functions did work.

After 3 visits to the dealer the problem was diagnosed as a loose battery connection on the +ve battery terminal.

The D3 is very sensative to battery voltage upon system testing and at start up my loose terminal would just be enough to cause the message.

So as everyone else has said it is voltage related and the problem could be a loose connection or a faulty battery.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #4020031st Jan 2006 2:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >