Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission whine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
oldnickers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Transmission whine

I am getting a slight whine (almost a low key whistle) when under load in Drive. Seems most noticeable about 40-50 mph. Have taken out dealer technician - he couldn't hear it and they couldn't hear anything with "chassis ears" but that was on a ramp, so no load. It's definitely there...

When I hold the car at constant speed and nudge car into Neutral on a constant throttle, the noise disappears (even though the engine revs rise).

Any ideas much appreciated!

Nick

Post #67135213th Jul 2010 11:54 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

With permanent four wheel drive, I think it's normal to have a small amount of transmission whine going on.

I certainly notice it, but have always thought it normal and not worth worrying about (and I'm a little obsessive with D3 noises, whines, clunks and rattles Laughing ).

If you stick it in low-range, you'll find that it becomes even more apparent....it's the same noise as in high-range, but in low range you don't generally have the high speed tyre noise to mask it out, so it appears more noticeable.

Obviously if you find it very obtrusive and annoying, then it points to something being wrong. Saying this, the dealer (especially if they hooked up chassis ears) should have been able to pick it up.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #67139413th Jul 2010 1:30 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Slight whine when driving - is your wife in the car? Laughing

I live in TW too! Will have a look out for you Thumbs Up

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #67139513th Jul 2010 1:30 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

how many miles has the car done.

I know the noise you are talking about. mine started doing it at around 90K. ive now done 120K miles and it hasnt got any worse. Its just like the transmission whine is used to get from my old defender, but a lot quieter.

change the oils (gear box, tfer box and diffs) it may help. and if it doesnt it will do it good to have a good oil change.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #67145113th Jul 2010 3:36 pm
wslr

Duncan's got a good point there. When was the last transmission oil and filter change, transfer box and diff oil change? And just because you've got an invoice saying something has been changed, it may not have been. Evil or Very Mad

Post #67158313th Jul 2010 8:18 pm
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Im with dunc. I have 98k now on mine and I have the same whine. I also have a shunt type thing which feels just like prop slap. I have been to dealers a few times and they keep saying its unadjustable slap in the drive train. I know thats not what you have but the whine is normal Thumbs Up
 Current: D3 commercial

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.
Pajero SWB 2.8 for off road playdays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYBx3SCl8vs check this for laughs 

Post #67161213th Jul 2010 9:43 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Rich, I reckon you could do with AutoBox oil change Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67161313th Jul 2010 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dickydisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

had 4 tech round and had a flush done Big Cry
still the same shunt. Very p Censored d off.
Has anyone ever changed the rear prop for this fault, what about the bearing thing half way down the car? I was under the car the other day and grabbed the prop byt the transfer box and then by the rear diff. There was a little play when I twisted opposite ways. there is a lot of movement in the prop up and down, as if the support half way down is not holding anything at all Sad

Past: but not forgotten D3 HSE x2, 5 TD5 disco2's, 1 200tdi disco1, 2 300tdi disco1 one of which was a commercial, Off roader with a rather large spec, ARB's and big travel suspension to name a few.

Post #67162313th Jul 2010 10:00 pm
ODP38

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Dickydisco is that propshft play not covered under warranty, mine may be the same but just 50k

Post #67164913th Jul 2010 10:32 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

having had a few D3s and a RRS sport i found a whine with 3 of them.

The whine was the Diffs not the box nor shafts. If you knock it into neutral does the whine go?

Problem with diffs having download the bulletins from the global site was some cars were supplied with contaminated oil and if not caught killed the diffs. i managed to get both diffs changed at 26k on the sport but they refused to do the D3 under warranty and i bought a diff.

another car had a whine at the front and this was found to be due to an oil seal leak and i guess the oil was low or dirty or both as when they fixed it it went quiet.

so my guess is check the diffs, try changing the oil in them (due at 70k from memory) and see if there is any metal filing. i know jeeps have noisy diffs and the dealer sells a special addative that makes them go quiet - could we worth finding out more about it if it turns out to be the diffs

one last thing to check - early D3s to 2007 all used to wear tyres badly and this causes a humming noise - dealer thought it was a wheel bearing at first. There is a TSB for this also
R
ian

Post #67167513th Jul 2010 11:30 pm
Dickydisco

ODP
I aint been able to find out whats wrong to get anything changed under warranty. Im going to take it to another garage to see if I can get it sorted. Will post if I sort it so to help anyone else Thumbs Up

Post #67168214th Jul 2010 12:10 am
jum649

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Spend a week in a Defender, then when you get back into the Disco, it will seem whisper quiet again!

Post #67175114th Jul 2010 9:42 am
oldnickers

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry for delay in replying to your posts...been away. Thanks all for your advice. The car's done just under 30k and the whine goes silent when knocked into neutral at speed. In low ratio, the noise remains, even if put it in neutral. Anyway it's driving me mad...chassis ears couldn't detect anything but the car needs to be under load.

It's going back in a week today for window regulators and a new whistling/squeaking/rattling noise which doesn't seem to be transmission related. Warranty up on 1 Sep!!

Nick

Post #67639526th Jul 2010 8:42 am
tippa

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Nick
I have the same problem I have posted it on here too let me know if you get any where cos I have been to four garages and had the ears also but still with no joy.....
 2009 D3 HSE 2 yrs without one...Great to be back!!  
Post #68407619th Aug 2010 2:31 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

oldnickers wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying to your posts...been away. Thanks all for your advice. The car's done just under 30k and the whine goes silent when knocked into neutral at speed. In low ratio, the noise remains, even if put it in neutral. Anyway it's driving me mad...chassis ears couldn't detect anything but the car needs to be under load.

It's going back in a week today for window regulators and a new whistling/squeaking/rattling noise which doesn't seem to be transmission related. Warranty up on 1 Sep!!

Nick

Which dealer are you taking it to?

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #68408219th Aug 2010 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: