Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission/HDC faults, error code readout
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
danrjm

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Transmission/HDC faults, error code readout

For a while now, my Discovery 3 will randomly flash up 'transmission fault' followed a few seconds later by 'HDC fault system failure', 'lowering suspension', lots of lights on the dash, etc. After a restart, it's all fine. However, I have had to put it into neutral, all off and restart whilst driving, then back to drive a couple of times as no safe space to pull over!

I've read a few things about batteries and rear lights causing issues, so it had a new battery last week and new rear light switch under the dash. A rear brake bulb had blown and I've replaced it with a Halfords one for now, but have two LR ones on order. It has done the same error messages/light a couple of times since but seemingly less frequent.

I've just bought an Autel AP200 code reader, and have found a load of error codes! I did a hard reset when I installed the battery, but not sure if that also clears all the codes? There are 'historical' codes which I've ignored. There's a lot of 'intermittent' codes with most relating to a loss of communication, and a couple of 'permanent' codes. Maybe some of the lost communication errors are because I restarted the car whilst driving? They are all listed below.

Not sure if I should clear the codes, or do another hard reset and wait for the problem to happen again then read the codes to get a better idea of what is happening. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to look at or what to replace to try and narrow down the issue?

Oh, the suspension pump needs replacing/refurbishing and the parking sensors are not working. I know about these already! It had a full service, including gearbox flush, new battery earth cable and water pump, last November. It had belts, etc, done three years ago. It's a 57 plate but the reader says its a 2008 model. It runs really smoothly, no unusual noises, no gear change issues, averages about 30 to 32 mpg.

The 'intermittent' codes are:

P0087-00 Fuel rail/system pressure - too low
P00E-22 Fuel volume regulator control exceeding learning limit
U2023-86 Fault received from external node
U0132-87 Lost communication with ride level control module
U0122-87 Lost communication with parking assist module
B1A87-68 Battery disconnected/electronic control unit reset
U0100-87 Lost communication with engine control module/powertrain control module 'A'
B1B70-81 Local interconnection network bus circuit 2
B1B85-49 Memory control unit
B1B86-93 Seat height motor relay
B1B88-93 Seat slide motor relay
B1C62-12 Battery saver relay output circuit
U0155-87 Lost communication with instrument cluster
U0122-87 Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module
B1D29-93 No start, even after attempt
B1D33-92 Flame interruption during normal operation
U1A44-6C Fuel level
U1A01-31 Communication link

The 'permanent' codes are:
B1B89-3A Seat slide motor hall sensor - I've no idea what this is, but the electric seats work fine!
C1A20-64 Pressure increases too slow when filling reservoir - Compressor is on it's way out!
U0132-87 Lost communication with ride height level control module - Presume compressor again.
B1D34-68 Header in lock out mode - Don't know what this is, something to do with the heater maybe?
B1B57-11 Front sensor power circuit - Parking sensors not working
B1B58-11 Rear sensor power circuit - Presume because sensor not working
B1B44-96 Rear right outer sensor - Presume because sensor not working

Post #217359013th Sep 2020 7:25 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Good catch in that you’ve changed the non-working brake bulb(s) in the rear.

Try replacing the brake light switch (BLS). The symptoms are very similar. The piece costs 10 eur and causes unimaginable pain when it breaks or starts to flake.

Usually the U codes are not interesting. You can safely clear the codes. The ones that are “interesting” will come back.... Mr. Green

Post #217359313th Sep 2020 7:50 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Your symptoms and some of the codes from the top of the list look as if it might be fuel related - either the fuel filter is restricting fuel flow or there may be an issue with the fuel pump?
Others on here are far more knowledgeable than me, but that may give you an idea where to start searching on the forum to see if it is consistent with what you are experiencing.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #217359413th Sep 2020 7:52 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Refurbish the compressor with new desiccant and filters once you have established whether its a Hitachi or AMK. (you need to take the bottom cover off)

The other permanent codes are mostly park sensors or seat electrics. The ones you don't want to see again are P0087-00 and P000E-22. Since you have a record of what codes were present, you can go and clear the lot now and do another read in a few days or a week. I'll bet the compressor codes will pop up again so you should deal with that without delay. Easy stuff if you can drive a screwdriver and a couple of spanners. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217359613th Sep 2020 7:56 pm
danrjm

I'll clear all the codes and check back in a few days and see what it says. But maybe fuel filter could be something to look at as I don't think it's been done in the last few years - If at all!

I did do the rear light switch under the dash, but didn't seem to resolve it. It is suspicious though that the rear brake light had also blown when the fault was happening more frequently.

I was planning to do the parking sensor and compressor myself. I did take the cover off to look at the compressor but didn't realise there were two types so will need to check again which it is. I couldn't really figure out how to get to the top bracket bolt with a spanner so left it for a day when I had more time. The compressor motor sounds fine so I'm guessing the dessicant has absorbed too much water and is blocking airflow.

Post #217360013th Sep 2020 8:18 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You can probably leave the bracket in place, the bolts may well be rusted anyway. Undo the pipework, elec cons, and vibration pads on which the compressor sits and slide it out of the bracket. The desiccant eventually loses it's ability to absorb moisture and breaks down into a fine powder which the filters are unable to arrest adequately.
If the powder gets into the system it will play havoc with the corner valves.
Clean the compressor thoroughly and blow it out with compressed air. The exh valve should be examined carefully and cleaned. If it's an AMK leave the cylinder and piston assy as is, unless you suspect the head seal is leaking. (white powder present around the joint) A new seal is available but be careful removing the powder build up not to damage the mating surfaces.

If the fuel filter has not been changed then replace this too for a genuine LR or Mahle filter as it can and will cause problems, even though P0087 and P000E have not reappeared.... Yet!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #217360313th Sep 2020 8:39 pm
danrjm

So 'P0087-00 Fuel rail/system pressure too low' is back on the readout so I'm going to change the fuel filter. I'm not sure when it was last changed, but not in the last two or three years, and the one on there looks like a cheap replacement so I've ordered a genuine LR one for delivery. Fortunately, it's the more modern type which just rotates off and not the older one with all the pipes to line up!

Post #217393015th Sep 2020 2:01 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Measure the fuel pressure first at the schrader valve. Probably liftpump and blocked suction filter in the tank. A long heatwave is perfect for bacteria growth in your tank. My problems started at the top of the heat wave here in Holland.... Had 0,2 bar pressure and a output of 1 liter in 15 minutes after changing the filter.

Post #217393215th Sep 2020 2:15 pm
danrjm

The fuel pressure at the valve seems fine - don't have anything to measure it but it spurts out with the engine on.

So I fitted a new fuel filter and now, after a couple of miles, now have a new code: P2290 low pressure to injector valves. The fuel filter was easy to fit, but was wondering whether there's meant to be an o-ring or seal between the top of the filter and the unit it's fitted too? Neither old nor new filter had one, it just seems a bit odd. It's a new filter and fairly easy to fit so I guess the new code isn't because I fitted to wrong or a good deal wasn't made? So the only thing that it could be is the fuel pump?

Post #217413916th Sep 2020 3:18 pm
danrjm

Ok, so went over the fuel filter and no o-ring needed at the top (there are two o-rings at the bottom, which I did fit). Not tried the car again yet as have to drive quite a few miles before the messages pop up. However, I did notice that the filter had not clicked all the way to the right, so the top arrow and 'lock' arrow were not properly aligned. Maybe this will fix it? There's also no manifold in front of the filter on my car, presumably not put back by someone else a long time ago, but I guess this doesn't really matter?

Post #217415916th Sep 2020 4:48 pm
SomersetTaz

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi did you get to the bottom of this problem - I've got similar issues. Thanks

Post #224116910th Jul 2021 1:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >