Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Travel through Europe in winter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
epninety

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A couple of years back, we drove two Defender based kit-cars down to the south of Bulgaria for Xmas.

Beware of filling up with fuel somewhere where it's relatively mild, and then stopping overnight 500miles colder Smile Not everywhere has the same level of winter protection in the fuel, especially if there's a sudden cold snap, so fill up before stopping overnight.

I'd make sure I had a spare fuel filter on board, and a can of diesel antifreeze / winter treatment. I've used
Liqui Moly Diesel fließ-fit, but there are plenty on the market.

Petrol stations around Germany/Austria sell sensible long handled windscreen scrapers that seem rare in the UK.

Post #11828105th Nov 2013 8:12 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Well I'm seeing snow down to 1200m already in Switzerland, just above the Gotthard tunnel.....so the weather has changed and we may be on for a stunning early start to the skiing season again....!

If you want to avoid the risk of being caught without winter tyres, I'd go via Switzerland and get the ferry at Venice. The roads are usually well-kept, it's only been once or thrice that I had to drive in 20cm of snow on the highway!!

I would not use snow chains on the highway as you're going to be limited to under 50kph. You will be a danger to yourself and others so don't be on there in chains unless everyone else is...!
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #11830946th Nov 2013 9:49 am
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks guys!

Well I never thought of diesel antifreeze for the fuel. Shocked At what temperatures would I have to use this?
Wouldn't just the FBH do the job?

Post #11832386th Nov 2013 2:57 pm
epninety

Without the right protection, diesel can start to have problems from not much below 0C. I bought diesel in France, and again in Germany (Ibex has only a 9.5Gal tank) but had problems around Munich the following morning at around -10C. I wasn't the only one, due to the surprise cold snap there were several cars and trucks with problems in the same car park.

Crystal formation turns the diesel to gel and blocks the fuel filters. I could run the engine at idle, but it had no power and died on the motorway slip road. A change of fuel filter didn't help (so it wasn't excess water content), it froze again almost instantly. FBH can't help you here, unless you fit a heated fuel filter - which I've never seen on a D3, though the Ibex will have one if I ever do another cold weather trip.

Fortunately the 300tdi is a forgiving beast, a couple of litres of unleaded into a nearly full diesel tank sorted it out straight away. I wouldn't do that to a D3 though!

Both my Webasto engine heater and Eberspacher air heater (only fitted for extreme weather trips) ran perfectly throughout.

I've done colder trips without ever having a problem, including a run to the Norwegian arctic in winter, so it was purely due to unexpected cold snap catching out the fuel distributors.

Click image to enlarge

Buy a can of antifreeze or diesel- dryer, and sods law states you'll never ever need it Very Happy

Post #11832546th Nov 2013 3:28 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Diesel antifreeze....well nobody here uses that but if you needed it, you could buy it I guess.

It may already be added to winter supplies of local fuel where it might start to gel in winter months. So as you'll be fuelling up along the way, the risk should be low.

And unless you're going really high, daytime temperatures will not be -10.
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #11832556th Nov 2013 3:31 pm
epninety

You don't use it because it's in your fuel already. If you only buy fuel locally, then no problem. If you flush the tank through with several loads of fuel with a low protection level, then fill up locally with fuel with a higher protection, you'll still dilute that protection with the lower grade fuel.

I had problems in Munich, a couple of days before Xmas, so more or less exactly on the OPs likely route, more or less at the time he's intending to travel.

It's not a rare problem, even somewhere as mild as the UK, if you have a vehicle that's rarely used it can easily end up with a 50/50 mix of summer and winter fuel blends, and not enough protection for very cold weather.

Post #11832656th Nov 2013 3:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >