Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

trip to spain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
diverdave

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Manual Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
trip to spain

hi all just a question how long will it take to get to malaga we would need to know how long towing with the van i was thinking of going from portsmouth to santandaer than though spain thanks Thumbs Up
 david race  
Post #92069914th Apr 2012 4:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You mean rather than drive through France I think?

I have driven my series 2a down to the south of Spain on the way to Morocco. We did the Portsmouth to Bilbao route. The 2a cruised at 55mph, so its a good guide to compare with a car towing a caravan.

We drove all day, and covered 470 miles, and we got as far as Jaen before we had to stop for an overnight. Next day we continued and were in Malaga area within a few hours.

Post #92070214th Apr 2012 4:20 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

we are driving down to Murcia,Spain again this year with the Sankey Trailer.

you can do the journey through France in just over 26 hours non-stop, but assuming you do 300 miles a day (start at 0900 finish at 1500-1600) then 4-5 nights stops is a decent time to take as it lets you enjoy the journey rather than just sit on mway all the time.

We decided against the ferry again this time as the cost with a trailer was more than the fuel and tolls to drive through France.

watch out for the speed limits. we had the misfortune to get MrsDiscoDuncs handbag stolent on the way through Spain and the Police were very good but advised us to watch our speed as we carried on beacuse they were checking up on Trailers. I think the D3/4 with a trailer is about max 90Kmh on motorways cos of the MTM of over 3500 Kgs
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #92071014th Apr 2012 5:01 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

hi there I have just done the santander crossing and wont be doing it again didnt get much sleep as to noisy so as I caravan all over europe will be doing the dover calias run cost of fuel to the cost of the long crossing not much in it as we only went one way and we only went to caspe so i could fish the edbro before we went to the south of france and back up to calais, but hope you have a great holliday and as we are not all the same each to there own Thumbs Up

Post #92071414th Apr 2012 5:09 pm
DiscoEddie

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Diverdave
We went from south wales to near Malagar in Nov. used Dover - Calais. Lots of time to do it so it took us 3 weeks, but only 10 days of driving about 250 mile per day. Great no pressure we enjoyed it inc the long week-end at San Sebastian and a week near Madrid. We did plan to do similar on return trip.
However due to a family crises we had to come home early.
Left our campsite midday on the Wednesday stopping only for power-naps (only one driver) we arrived at Calais about 9.00 on the Friday morning. Found a campsite and vet for our dog and arranged for ferry Sat evening. Arrived back at home early hours of Sunday.
That should give you an idea of what can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. Only when needs must.
Must say that I can't imaging doing that in any other tug than the Disco for comfort and ease of driving.
Enjoy you trip whatever you decide to do, remember the trip is part of your holiday.
 2009 Disco-3 HSE
2011 Elddis Crusader Cyclone 

Post #92277220th Apr 2012 9:25 am
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Santander crossing is great but not if you are prone to sea sickness... it is a long crossing and Biscay can get very rough, even in summer.

Driving to Spain is very easy via Dover Calais or Eurotunnel, either way is good but obviously you may be glad of the break on the ferry by the time you have endured the ballache to get to Dover! A good alternative is the hop to Le Havre - usually an overnight crossing so you can get a bit of kip. Equally, consider the ferry to Dunkirk - often much cheaper and only 15mins up the coast from Calais.

We make Barcelona in 26 hours from Stoke without pushing it. Midnight crossing then stopping for a 4 hour powernap at a good services near to Abbeville, Orleans for breakfast, Labastide Murat (on the A20 south of Brive La Gaillarde) for late lunch, Carcassonne for a final stop and leg stretch then arriving Barcelona for tea.

Great to see the Med as you drop down the hill towards Narbonne and the drive up the pass through La Jonquera at the border is quite pretty.

Not bad for a single driver (but allow more time for longer stops) easy for 2 drivers.

Have also done the route from Santander to the Algarve, via Salamanca - really nice drive, but riding the very expensive vomit comet for 24 hours wasn't so much fun.

Post #92293320th Apr 2012 6:20 pm
Fabio

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi

We did from Yeovil to the border of Portugal crossing on the train from Dover to Calais in 26hrs.
I did most of thr driving. And we had snow,sleet and rain most of the way.
On the way back left the north of Portugal on a friday about 6.00pm and was home on saturday 11.15pm.
That should also give you an idea.
Ive crossed on the ferry to dunkirk,ferry to ST Malo and train Dover to Calais and for me the best is
the train.

Fabio

Post #92297120th Apr 2012 7:39 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My advice is to take as long as you want and enjoy the drive. Its ok trying to get as many miles under the belt but just enjoy it. Long drives can be stressful and not good for your health. My own fit brother tried to cover too many miles got stressed and ended up having a stroke at the age of 46. The ferry is a great way to relax.

Post #92299420th Apr 2012 8:37 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up after all, you are on holiday, right??

Post #92299720th Apr 2012 8:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >