Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

TRYING TO GET DICK OUT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Well there is an interesting interview with the Chief Constable of country's second largest force today (Greater Manchester). It seems they are still not performing and may not be doing so in 2 yrs time-if not he has promised to resign.
He has already stated "criminals free ride is coming to an end" and blames a failure in senior leadership.

The previous occupant was pushed into resigning by Andy Burnham. Hardly inspires confidence in the police does it?

Post #225063510th Sep 2021 9:32 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:

Clearly there are strong questions over the behaviour of a certain DS working on the Catford division at the time. So much so that a number of investigations took place subsequently including the incredibly rare scenario whereby a number of covert bugs were placed in offices in an endeavour to capture those responsible….
Despite numerous investigations by numerous senior managers and new squads no evidence was forthcoming that could actually prove who murdered Morgan. Unfortunately when the rotten apple knows police policy and investigation interview techniques you are never going to get nothing other than the equivalent of a no comment interview.
Short of fitting someone up with verbal admissions which we would all agree is wrong there would never be enough evidence to successfully prosecute. I can assure you that when that ex officer successfully sued the Met for damages that hurt more than anything…
If the evidence is not there it’s not there… you can’t magic it up…

The problem with that is that it means that the bad apples are basically untouchable.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #225072111th Sep 2021 3:36 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

icestationzebra wrote:
Well there is an interesting interview with the Chief Constable of country's second largest force today (Greater Manchester). It seems they are still not performing and may not be doing so in 2 yrs time-if not he has promised to resign.
He has already stated "criminals free ride is coming to an end" and blames a failure in senior leadership.

The previous occupant was pushed into resigning by Andy Burnham. Hardly inspires confidence in the police does it?

He is saying all the right things and if ( a big if) he can back up his words with actions then Greater Manchester will be in for a better ride.

In terms of Politics and Policing the sooner the two are separated (again) the better. I too am a fan of it's about time we had a National Police Service. I joined the Police straight from the Royal Marines. I simply could not get my head around the fact that whilst in the Corps if you ordered a pair of boots it didn't matter if you were in Plymouth, Taunton or Arbroath (or anywhere else the Marines were) you got the same pair of (ill fitting) boots...

In the Police there were 52 different forces all providing their own versions of kit and styles of Policing. We didn't even speak the same coded language on the Radios and use the same Radios. It was to me at that time utter madness... 6 months in and I just accepted it...

Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #225073111th Sep 2021 4:25 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Good point about the type of things dealt with by the Met that wouldn't be seen elsewhere. But there is a question about whether the top plod should be dealing with that sort of thing anyway. The Chief Exec of a multinational doesn't deal with "coal face" issues and perhaps the head of a police service shouldn't either. That should be dealt with at least on the layer below, with the top plod running the organisation itself, not the projects they're dealing with - if that makes sense.

And there certainly shouldn't be a situation where the Met can hamper investigations in to its conduct such as alleged against Dick in the Morgan report. There should be a straight forward "you will provide everything to the investigation or you can leave the police force without your pension". In situations such as that, the top plod should be ensuring the rank and file are shown to be behaving correctly, not protecting those who might not have been doing so. That's where the possibility that having a long-time Met officer as the top plod starts to look wrong. Someone without those "ties of blood" would be more likely to want to get to the bottom of things. And anyone that stands in the way of such investigations should be kicked in to the long grass with nothing.

The police service is too important an institution to let the bad apples hold sway. We need everyone of them to be good apples and we need the public to be able to trust them. The few bad 'uns make the lives of the rest so much more difficult. They deserve better.

Sadly the defensive nature of Police Forces and especially Chief Police Officers (ACC and above) is staggering. Keep quiet, blame everyone else and row for the shore asap...

Unlikely to change, even in a National Service if Police Scotland is anything to go by.

UK Policing is amazing. Unarmed in the main and with the most fantastic front line Officers. Yes, some bad apples but where isn't there in any vocation.

Best Police Service in the world and we should be proud of it when it functions as it should...
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #225073411th Sep 2021 4:32 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Well they have tried prosecuting him several times…. This was before dna technologies … if there is no evidence there is no evidence…thus how can Cressida be responsible for that.

Unfortunately the whole PI world was a murky old business in those days and totally unregulated… i am sure there were a number of people who held a grudge against Morgan.

Post #225073511th Sep 2021 4:32 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

If Cressida Dick tried to sell you garden awnings and electric garage doors in the adverts during Countdown, would you feel inclined to buy any?

No.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #225075211th Sep 2021 5:28 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

dont need an awning or garage door and dont watch countdown....but hey ho,....,looks like the pressure is on again...i appreciate the buck stops with her but theres clearly been a lot going on ..whether she knew about it is a different matter...she has senior folk also in the loop.watch this space

Post #225454830th Sep 2021 11:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HWN

And she's gone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-60340525

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #227828410th Feb 2022 7:43 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

funny old world innit

Post #227831811th Feb 2022 12:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Yep, just an example of another person promoted way beyond her abilities but her profile fitted. I am sure she will be missed.

Post #227832711th Feb 2022 5:53 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

^^^^
I remember well there being a push to get females into higher echelon jobs in the Army. (in my particular Corps anyway, which is where this occurred) I have no objections to this so long as the person is capable and qualified.

I knew this particular female as a Sergeant years earlier, and when i next met her a few short years later she was the RSM of the phase 2 training establishment I was permanent staff at.
Now an RSM, particularly of a training unit, needs to be a respected and to some degree feared figurehead and unfortunately she was neither. Very petite and and softly spoken and i encountered more than 1 occasion where she was verbally abused by trainees and failed to respond.
Next time i saw her name she was a Captain. Her promotion ladder had been mapped out and fast tracked to get the females into the top jobs.
However the story I read about her being Captain, was about her taking the Army to court due to the stresses caused by her fast track promotion.... which she was happy to accept throughout the process.

I feel this is the same scenario as has been applied to Cressida Dick, perfectly capable up to a certain level in the Force but way out of her depth when moved up the ladder.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #227834311th Feb 2022 9:07 am
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Malapropism anyone?

As this is Off Topic section I think I can introduce this thread here.
I do feel for the woman and feel she has been given a difficult job but I cannot help but recall the contestant on “Pointless” who referred in his answer (malapropism) to Caress a Dick Embarassed very unfortunate
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #227835211th Feb 2022 9:55 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Farmer Chalk wrote:
It was a tragic incident… but not one that should blight her for the right decision made at the time.

I respectfully disagree and that is said as someone involved in that community for a good while and knows the pressures of leading an ops room as well as knowing some of those involved.

In no way or circumstances were the guys on the ground at fault and I was aghast but not surprised that the light fell on them.

When the primary asset, with all their skills, knowledge, training, put in place for that specific task on a deliberate op, fails to make a positive ID at normal contact then the presumption for everything else evaporates there and then.

In no way should any potential ID made at speed, by others, under pressure, ever be used to overcome the original doubt of the primary asset. She made a very bad and lethal call that went against SOPs. Somehow that was not fully understood by those legally reviewing her actions.

When you lead an ops room there is no confusion, only leadership - a lack of positive ID by the in-place asset = no direct action. It is just the way it is. Being caught-up in the moment and the confusion was her culpable mistake - it should have never have become the excuse. Somehow the criticality of the initial lack of positive ID fell out of her head.

As a result, an entirely innocent man was executed here in the UK under her orders alone. 'Doubt' is an actionable state and not something to overcome at speed by those who are unprepared.

A personal opinion no doubt but one from someone who appreciates what has to be in place before exercising lethal force, even if it puts your own people at risk. 'Courageous restraint' is a terrible phrase but the meaning underneath it underpins the UK use of lethal force both at home and on operations abroad.

Arrow
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #227836211th Feb 2022 11:53 am
HWN

JordsDisco wrote:
Yep, just an example of another person promoted way beyond her abilities but her profile fitted. I am sure she will be missed.

She fitted the desirable profile that existed at the time. I think this has evolved further and it will be interesting to see who gets the role. That said, a non-nonsense non-PC (not Police Constable!) time-served cop is probably what London needs. There are some jobs for which fast-track graduates are not always the best candidates: police and nurses are just two that come to mind.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #227836311th Feb 2022 12:02 pm
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Anybody seen Priti Patel recently?

Amazing that the Mayor of London seems to have more influence than The Home Secretary.
Well it's not actually is it?

Post #227836711th Feb 2022 12:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >