Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Turbo fault P132B
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Turbo fault P132B

OK Guys, I have just bought a D3 2009 with faults. The previous owner has lived with them for months now so need to get down and dirty to fix them.

I am very familiar with D3 as I had two in South Africa and have just bought this one in the UK as the love hate relationship with my mistress must continue!

So I have the usual suspension compressor faults "gallery not venting" and and "pressure increase too slow", loaded software is 6H22-14D394-AC which is Hitachi..Question I have is the aftermarket unbranded Hitachi compressors on ebay for circa £160 any good as at this point I am not going to pay £500 for OE replacement so thoughts appreciated?

Second problem is P132B (turbo boost control) comes up as permanent even after clearing the fault and re-initialising the ignition. I can hear the stepper motor working (or trying to!), but not sure at this stage if the actuator is stuck. Question I have is there a feedback loop back to the ecu to show the actuator position, my thought is there must be to throw up a fault before the engine is even started? Just trying to diagnose as much upfront to save time and money. Cheers in advance..
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #209640931st Oct 2019 10:46 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Buy cheap, buy twice Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #209646731st Oct 2019 2:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

With regards to the compressor. I would buy from a Landrover dealer or Indy so if you have an issue you have somewhere to go back to. The unbranded ones on Ebay may be fine but if there is an issue whos sorting it?

Post #209648131st Oct 2019 3:05 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think you need to get into the wheel arch and see if the actuator is moving.
You maybe hearing the EGRs

Yes there is a feedback loop

Post #209649831st Oct 2019 4:39 pm
longclose

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Buy cheap, buy twice Whistle

I am sure you are right Mikey, however the last AMK I bought to replace a good Hitachi just in case failed after 3 weeks! Have ordered cheap and will re-furbish the Hitachi as a back up.. will take the risk and wait and see..
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #209651531st Oct 2019 6:26 pm
longclose

Pete K wrote:
I think you need to get into the wheel arch and see if the actuator is moving.
You maybe hearing the EGRs

Yes there is a feedback loop

Can the actuator be monitored from the Nanocom as I have not found the option? Pretty sure its the turbo actuator as I can only hear it on the left hand side. Will check the actuator but need to get the compressor fixed to elevate the old girl to get into the wheel arch!

Just to confirm the actuator moves the VVT ring not the wastegate correct? The turbo has been like this for over a year from the previous owner so worried that the VVT ring will be coked up.. has anyone tried Mr Muscle to free it..its common practice on VW.. just worried about the rose hip joint coming off.

Feedback and thoughts greatly appreciated..
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #209653631st Oct 2019 7:52 pm
Pete K

Can’t be monitored

Yes drives vvt ring

I put Wynn’s vvt cleaner in the fuel tank.

Post #209655131st Oct 2019 9:02 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When you investigate the linkage, it should move very freely, i.e. it should offer almost no resistance when moved.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #209655231st Oct 2019 9:11 pm
longclose

Hi Guys thanks for the feedback to date, OK got the compressor sorted suspension now free of bing bongs after re-doing the silica gel and filters in the drier housing so got me off road height to look at the turbo. Will fit aftermarket compressor next week when it arrives..

OK so the turbo actuator arm was stuck solid, plenty of WD40 freed it up, I worked it free until it operated with the ignition on (actuator moved 5 in and out cycles), however no cycles when the ignition was switched off Sad

So when I start the engine the dreaded ESF comes back again immediately with code P132B (having cleared the code first) anything more I can do or is it a lost cause? Any thoughts greatly appreciated..
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20971312nd Nov 2019 5:26 pm
Pete K

I'd move the linkage into the middle position. and they try and use the car for a bit.

either premium diesel or wynns vvt cleaner.

Are 2 weeks driving see if things are better

Post #20971362nd Nov 2019 6:08 pm
longclose

Hi Pete, Thanks for your reply. I think you are right, I can hear it hitting the stop when it moves out (towards the wheel where it was stuck originally) but not hitting the stop when moving back towards the engine. I am worried about over working the actuator but am pretty certain a coked up vane is stopping it moving back. What it really needs is an Italian service to get the EGT >600 centigrade to burn off the carbon, but I live in deepest Dorset so that's difficult. I might remove the cat and use some compression stabiliser on the vane if I cannot get it to release with additive or Italian service..
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20972062nd Nov 2019 9:53 pm
longclose

Morning, I am posting this for anyone in the future who may come across the problem I have as a lot of members never seem to update a successful outcome on difficult faults, maybe they just sell their vehicles! Anyway I will post until I find the resolution. It may be the case as Pete K says turbo cleaner will solve the problem, however my instinct is the problem is more deep rooted so will work through to a resolution.

Firstly, it is strange that P132B always comes up when starting the engine and does not appear on ignition on (which I guess it would if it was an electrical out of range issue). I have been searching the web to find out what the algorithm is behind this fault code, it appears not just to be turbo related (I think this has been mentioned).

I found this link from Ford on the 6 litre diesel which gives an insight only:-http://www.flatratetech.com/downloads/diesel_8.pdf

So looking at my live values today BARO pressure is 97, however MAP value is 95 so the MAP value is 200 millibars lower at idle (which is strange anyone can confirm if this is correct), MAF value is running @ around 13 G/S, 36 @ 2000 and 80 @3000 the MAP value hardly moves and only goes up to around 1.15 @ 300RPM (.45 BAR).

Would be really interested if a member could give me comparative readings so I can eliminate sensors in the first place....
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #20972943rd Nov 2019 1:11 pm
Pete K

I thought you got the error message straight after start up when the linkage is stuck at one end. In the dangerous too much boost condition. I think this is when the linkage is inwards from memory

Post #20973243rd Nov 2019 3:33 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Just quickly have u removed and cleaned ur MAP sensor

Ur turbo actuator should self motor when the ign goes on and when it’s turned off Thumbs Up

Post #20973253rd Nov 2019 3:35 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
I thought you got the error message straight after start up when the linkage is stuck at one end. In the dangerous too much boost condition. I think this is when the linkage is inwards from memory

Hi Pete

Know u helped me when I had issues and found there was no software to motor the actuator arm when the ign was turned on and then off

Know there was also something about if there had been a remap , I got pat to add a software patch and added it via the iid but can’t remember about the remap issue , ie, if it could overwrite a remap if this patch was added, ??

I also found apart from the stuck actuator , a broken jubilee intercooler hose clip that went onto the turbo that was causing turbo issues

Post #20973263rd Nov 2019 3:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >