Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

turbo question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don't think you will be able to see any carbon build up.
It's all inside.

Nightmare changing the turbo.

Front prop off.
Exhaust off.
And even then difficult. Sad

Post #193648214th Apr 2018 6:44 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ah , being honest , i wasn’t sure how much i would be able to see once that small turbo hose was removed

alas looks an absolute Censored to replace the turbo , but will just take it step by step as i check everything else and hopefully won’t have to cross that bridge , will have everything crossed for luck Whistle

was wondering though when i take that small turbo hose off if it’s worth spraying some turbo cleaner directly inside , leaving it for a while and then using the air compressor to blast some air through it, or would i be asking for trouble doing that plse

or better to just put some forbes turbo cleaner into the tank and let it run through the turbo like that

thks again Thumbs Up

Post #193650314th Apr 2018 8:33 pm
Redline

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Had a similar but maybe not an identical problem on an Audi a few years ago.
The way it was explained was the vanes would open as commanded,but, when the vacuum actuator closed, the vanes stuck, boost continued and then dumped the overboost through the waste-gate, the electronics didn’t like it and backed off on controlling the vanes resulting in a complete loss of power. I don’t think the electronics were as advanced and didn’t shut anything down. After a 5-10 seconds the vanes closed themselves and back to normal. Only happened on aggressive acceleration or calls for lots of power, but made changing up a lottery.
Ended up with a new turbo.
 Current : Discovery 4 HSE (2012 spec)
Current : BMW Z4 20i MSport
Current : BWM Z4 3.0SI Sport Auto
Previous : Freelander 2 HSE 

Post #193651214th Apr 2018 8:57 pm
Pete K

you need to know that the silicon hoses are on the inlet chamber.

where as the vvt is in the exhuast chamber AFAIK.

And to get into the exhaust chamber requires turbo removal.

So in the fuel tank is the only option

Post #193652614th Apr 2018 9:46 pm
gstuart

Redline wrote:
Had a similar but maybe not an identical problem on an Audi a few years ago.
The way it was explained was the vanes would open as commanded,but, when the vacuum actuator closed, the vanes stuck, boost continued and then dumped the overboost through the waste-gate, the electronics didn’t like it and backed off on controlling the vanes resulting in a complete loss of power. I don’t think the electronics were as advanced and didn’t shut anything down. After a 5-10 seconds the vanes closed themselves and back to normal. Only happened on aggressive acceleration or calls for lots of power, but made changing up a lottery.
Ended up with a new turbo.

many thks Thumbs Up

fingers crossed the weather will continue to get warmer and can then start on it again

Post #193653714th Apr 2018 11:11 pm
gstuart

Pete K wrote:
you need to know that the silicon hoses are on the inlet chamber.

where as the vvt is in the exhuast chamber AFAIK.

And to get into the exhaust chamber requires turbo removal.

So in the fuel tank is the only option

ah, there was me thinking it would be easy , Whistle

as it won’t hurt , will run a few bottles of the turbo cleaner through it prior to starting work on it Thumbs Up

Post #193653914th Apr 2018 11:15 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I’m reading this thread with interest... within the next few weeks I’m taking the body off my lemon. I’ve got so many things to do... last going off before I started to strip the brick down I was having an air rushing noise under load. No smoke and no eml light but a lack of power. Initially I thought it was a split intercooler, not so. Maybe a split hose ? . Nope. I diagnosed a split crossover pipe. Followed a how to on here for removal with body on. Turns out some idiot has done quite a lot of bodge work to my car in the past. Bizarrre of a car with 83000 miles and full history you say. Until after the warranty ran out and I looked into the history with the main dealer to find out it’s fake. The mileage is real though according to my iid. No amount of special tools or skills allowed me to get the pipe off. Body off is the only option. Searched Ebay and found a ramp. Collected and sat in the workshop all winter. Finally time to put it up and get the body off. If you search my threads you’ll see what I’ve gone through. I’ve used an inspection camera and now believe the cross over pipe is fine. It’s getting replaced with an upgrade anyway. I believe the turbo is very noisy. I intend to remove it and have it tested. One of the hundreds of jobs I have to address. It would probably be more economical to scrap the car but I just can’t. There’s a lot of sentimental value involved. I’ve rebuilt turbo’s in the past with cartridges etc and find them very economical if you know what your doing. Pardon me if I’m rambling. First time I’ve had a few beers this year after a major family tragedy. Mods feel free to remove this of its completely irrelevant. Shocked

Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #193654715th Apr 2018 12:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

gstuart wrote:
hi pete

thks as that makes a lot of sense , reason i say that because , as i was coming back over the QE2. bridge i was doing around 50 mph , i could hear the gearbox was just about to drop a gear

i lifted off the acc pedal and then gently back on again to prevent the gearbox dropping a gear and raising the revs which in turn i was worried of it going into limp mode

done a 100 x mile round trip today and didn’t throw up the limp mode fault once by just lifting off and back on again

Although that is a "get you home" method of of driving it is doing nothing to help cure the problem, probably making it worse, IMHO the only way to possibly cure it without a new turbo is the wire coat hanger to free it off, plenty of good graphite based penetrating oil and then driving exactly opposite to what you've discribed, force the actuator to operate, get the engine hot, find a safe stretch of road in case you loose power with a long hill and use command/sports mode in a lower gear to get the revs up. If you have a door or window sticking it will only get worse and never get better if you don't oil and use it, same with the actuator.
If after doing that several times it still does it it's new turbo time Big Cry
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193658215th Apr 2018 10:44 am
gstuart

hi

indeed ur spot on and was a way of getting back and off that dreaded M25 , along with it being my aunts funeral was a crap day , but can’t allow it to continue into limp mode and resolve it once and for all

whilst safely parked on the driveway i will start replacing the front passenger side strut as planned, already done the drivers side , then progress onto this turbo issue

got all new hoses etc and also bought some ceramic grease , then if need be onto a new turbo if req if it still misbehaves as i certainally can’t go through such a dangerous condition whilst sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for that dreaded limp mode

been looking at some exchange units but think i’m just getting ahead of myself , will do the planned work first and then go from there

always appreciate the great help and within a few days learnt a lot

thks again Thumbs Up

Post #193662415th Apr 2018 1:58 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If you've bought the grease for the actuator don't use it untill you've freed it off as it will not penetrate and will stop penetrating oil from .......penetrating! - you need penetrating oil containing graphite, not even WD40, you can use that along with grease last, the actuator needs to be as free as a feather. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193663015th Apr 2018 2:21 pm
Brucey

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

What’s this turbo software that moves the actuator on every start up? Something custom from GAP?

Post #193674015th Apr 2018 8:12 pm
Pete K

It was only the very early model 2004 ? that didn't do this from the factory

Post #193675115th Apr 2018 8:35 pm
gstuart

M3DPO wrote:
If you've bought the grease for the actuator don't use it untill you've freed it off as it will not penetrate and will stop penetrating oil from .......penetrating! - you need penetrating oil containing graphite, not even WD40, you can use that along with grease last, the actuator needs to be as free as a feather. Thumbs Up

thks, makes sense , ordered some small wire brushes to clean it all up first and was going to use some plus gas i’ve got

however , have also just looked online and found the graphite penetrating spray

see its in spray or oil form is there any advantage of either please , 1st one looks the best but would rather ask first , thks again Thumbs Up

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Graphited-P...SwaZdXH16z

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penetrating-Oil...SwdzVXl1Ic

Post #193679015th Apr 2018 11:41 pm
gstuart

Pete K wrote:
It was only the very early model 2004 ? that didn't do this from the factory

didn’t realise that at first and was Pat that kindly told me after i sent over the iid report of all the software versions of the ecus

reminds me must also get the update for when i do the gearbox / transfer box oils , ie for the california stop

Post #193679115th Apr 2018 11:43 pm
Pete K

what's the california stop update?

Post #193690616th Apr 2018 12:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >