Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Turbochip, Any long term feedback?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Matt.y

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Turbochip, Any long term feedback?

While the issues @ Turbochip are being resolved Censored , are there any members that have had this upgrade done specifically by the company advertising on this site and who are willing to advise those of us who are still perhaps sitting on the fence but wanting to be brave enough to improve on our fuel economy?

I am not interested in any debate about which product is best etc, only honest good Very Happy and bad Evil or Very Mad points about this one product by those living with the result. Question

Post #617583rd Jun 2006 2:53 pm
Ken

Matt

Yes just do it its worth it every penny I miss my chip the damm dealer re-flashed it, Chris is going to sort it next week. Performance great improvement. Low down grunt is phenomenal ; it does puff a bit of black smoke out under hard acceleration. (But its diesel).

I honestly cant report on MPG for two reasons one I don’t really care about it and if I wanted economy I would not of bought a 4x4 that weighs 3 tons plus. two My D3 is fully equipped with winch MTRs expo rack etc so comparing with a standard D3 is a little flawed.

Post #617593rd Jun 2006 3:41 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks Ken

Just to make forum members aware....98% of TC upgrades carried out over the last 18 months have had my knowledge and involvement....right from the purchasing a Disco3 in Nov 2004....to the rolling road work....and the development of our 'flash tool'
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #617613rd Jun 2006 3:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Top man Chris... and you even let us test your D3 at Rockingham Smile

Others have not done this as far as I am aware.

-s

Post #617633rd Jun 2006 4:38 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi,

I dont have my D3 yet but have Pm'd Chris and emailed from the website, but still have had no response. All I want is a quote and an answer to a few simple questions.

I had a "piggy back" chip from a company call www.speed-buster.co.uk fitted to my 04 320cdi merc and it was excellant.

has anyone had this fitted to a D3. I am currently considering this option unless Turbochip can respond

Duncan

Post #621726th Jun 2006 9:19 am
LRtuning

Duncan,

Please PM your phone number and I'll ring you today Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #622016th Jun 2006 11:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks for the call. Hope to get it chipped in the next week or so

Post #623416th Jun 2006 7:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
I'm Confused

Right, I don't understand, please explain.... Confused

Not putting Chris's (or any other tuners for that matter) product down in any way at all but why would you get your car modded almost the same day you buy it?
A brand new engine needs to get a fair few miles down before it loosens up and starts to give it's full potential, you might find your pefectly happy with the standard set-up and decide not to get the mod. If you have the ECU remapped straight away how can you compare it to the standard settings, surely it's good to feel the difference rather than just assume it's better?

Again (before wrong end of stick is got) I'm not questioning tuning ('tis a good thing if done right) but why would anyone get a brand new car done without experiencing it in standard form first? Question
 The End  
Post #623556th Jun 2006 7:23 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: I'm Confused

Good question .

The only real answer i can give as a tuner is MOST people who decide to get there car tuned already have feedback from people who have drove the car standard and tuned,
so this is why they get there NEW cars done.
(Why wait when they already know the answers).

Regarding the new engines loosening up yes this is correct to a certian extent , but most manafactures make engines so that they dont need "running in" so there no need to wait if tuning is what you want, tuning can be done from new , and if the engine is going to loosen up it will do so even if tuned. so the gains can only get better!!

Post #623656th Jun 2006 7:52 pm
madDisco0wn3r

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

had a nearly instant reply when emailed (info@tubochips.co.uk), hoping to get it done this friday!

Post #624647th Jun 2006 9:33 am
Matt.y

Thank you Ken for posting a reply re the original question. Only one recomendation from a customer?

Post #6311712th Jun 2006 9:21 am
LRtuning

Matt,

I am more than happy to put you in touch with forum members who have had the TC 'treatment' Smile
Post #6311812th Jun 2006 9:26 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

A few interesting questions posed here.

1) Why get it done before the machine is run in?

Well, in my case because of expediencey however the main reason that I wanted the upgrade was for driveability. Interestingly and despite anything offered so far for mine the driveability has improved enourmously and the weak link in my vehicle are the settings on the Autobox. The ZF is a great box and great combination with the TDV6 however it holds gears too long - way past the peak torque points - and wants to change down too early.

Anyone heard the old joke about Harvard Trainers ? Used as fighter trainers before WW11. Most efficient way to turn petrol into noise. Now if Turbochip could also stop the VF box doing its thing the TDV6 would be the best thing since sliced bread ........................... period.

Overall, the driveability however is much improved which makes for more relaxed motoring and in Australia you want to drag the BMW's and you will lose your licence lickety split so that is not too clever. However I dont (and didnt) want to wait 6 months until the machine and a few thousand clicks to get the benefit.

2) Performance

If you want straight performance you are not going to buy a 2.7 Tonne TD vehicle anyway. However, compared to my next door neighbours 4.2 L Nissen Patrol I will have the performance and the economy for the cost any time. For me, current Town and Country economy is running about 10 l per 100 km compared to his 14 and a 0 - 100 km per hour ~ 10.4 seconds compared to 14. Guess which vehicle feels better to drive ?

Is it worth the money ? Well, I think so, others might well not but since being chipped it is much more relaxing to drive - especially on longer journeys. Around town it never really gets much above idle.

3) Economy

Well this is an interesting question. I don't want economy for the consumption figures so much as for range. Chipping it has improved the economy and hence the range = a big bonus as far as I am concerned because service stations here in Australia are sometimes a minimum of 100 km apart - and that is in the populated parts of the country. 400 km apart in the less populated areas and dont ask for the bits I dont go to.

Just a few thoughts on this thread.

Last edited by Vo Rogue on 13th Jun 2006 12:44 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #6312712th Jun 2006 10:26 am
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi matt

i have a 55 plate tdv6 auto and was like you, do i or don't i get it chipped. i ran the vehicle for 800 miles including towing my caravan in this time as a standard vehicle.

i then decided to have it chipped by turbochip, now then when i went up the road to try it afterwards i was amazed, the difference in the performance was tremendous and when towing my caravan which is 1900kg it was great. the vehicle was pulling like a train and i returned 19mpg towing to devon from the midlands.

i then had some problems with my car and the dealer wiped the chip Twisted Evil well to say i was peed off was an under statement the car seemed so lifeless and was no where near as much fun to drive and to be fair to chris they re-chipped my car within a week free of charge and i was a happy bunny again.

regards fuel economy mine has increased about 1.5 - 2mpg bearing in mind i do nearly ALL town milage.

i am sure if you speak to chris he will put you in touch with someone near you who may let you try theirs to see the difference.

my own personal opinion is i could not do without my chip after doing over 8000 miles with it chipped, hope this helps

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #6322512th Jun 2006 5:59 pm
Matt.y

Hi Vo Rogue and shawn, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. Chris are your problems sorted yet?

Post #6327012th Jun 2006 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >