Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Twin axle Caravan mover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Twin axle Caravan mover

I am making my first move towards getting a caravan....why not when you have a D3 Smile
Have seen a lovely Stirling Elite Searcher 2008 with wet central heating, awning etc....but no motor mover Rolling Eyes
As a tin-tent newbie, would I be mad to have a twin axle caravan without one.....or should I listen to the $tealer who says most sites are easy enough to negotiate without one?
I know I could add one, but this lovely van is max on my price bracket and doesn't leave me the £1K to have it fitted.
Appreciate any feedback

Post #8671865th Dec 2011 12:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you are good at reversing a caravan, then you would probably be ok. A large caravan is a lot easier to reverse than a smaller trailer, as they take longer to react to driver inputs. With low range it is possible to reverse very slowly without too much clutch slipping. Its even easier with an auto.

The big problem comes when you do not have the space to manoeuvre. Then a motor mover system is invaluable. This summer just gone,we took our twin axle Elddis to Spain, The pitches were very tight, and it would have been impossible to get the van onto the pitch without one. The alternative would have been a lot of heavy man-handling.

A twin axle can be difficult to turn on the spot because the wheels drag. A 4 wheel drive mover would be needed. I have a powr touch 4x4 system on mine and I could not get it alongside my house without it.

Post #8671885th Dec 2011 12:14 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had my Sterling Elite TA for 5 years, used both here and abroad and never fitted a mover. Just use low ratio and take your time. It's not as difficult as you may think.

Thumbs Up

Post #8671935th Dec 2011 12:23 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi eyeball, as Gareth says above, I had a single axle Elldis with a motor mover and bought a new Swift in November there 8) Moving the Swift after having the mover was stressful Confused so I swapped it on to the Swift and its great! Wink Its not just parking it in tight spaces at home, on site etc its the hitching and general calm with no 'other half' fall outs! If you have a look around you can pick up second hand units and they are relatively easy to attach, I wouldn't be without one especially as the twin axles are a lot harder to manoeuvre 8)

Post #8671965th Dec 2011 12:27 pm
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I'd go along with what Gareth says. I've got a twin axle Sterling Eccles Elite Wayfarer and when I bought it a year ago I looked into a motor mover but didn't really want to pay the £1K+. Having used it 5 or 6 times this year I haven't had a problem with getting onto pitches and the D3 makes it pretty easy (mine's an auto). Getting on and off my drive is the tightest manouvre so I just get someone to watch the blind nearside to make sure I don't take my neighbours porch out! Whilst getting onto pitches hasn't been a problem, a motor mover would make the fine adjustments onto hardstanding a lot easier, at 1700Kg moving it by hand isn't an option.

Post #8671985th Dec 2011 12:30 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I really only use the mover on mine to get it into its storage space. Down a slope beside the garage HITCH FIRST. Then I couple and lock it to the 101 that's ahead of it, with a bike chain through both chassis. That means there are a lot of other vans that will be easier to steal.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #8672255th Dec 2011 1:44 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Eldiss super scirooco twin axle +D3 and low range =no mover required Thumbs Up

in 3 years ive maybe had 1 time when it would have been easier with a mover so at £1500 for the four wheel job it dosent stack up for me.

I was told by a friend not to get a twin axle cos their hard to manouvre .turned out to be complete rubbish
as said above the longer vans are easier to reverse and only trying to spin it round on the spot is trickier.

A good calm SWMBO ie esssential tho Whistle
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #8672425th Dec 2011 2:59 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Twin axle trailers/caravans are easier to move by hand if you jack up the jockey wheel so that the front wheels comes off the ground, basically converting it to a single axle.

Likewise do not put a wheel clamp on front axle. Lift front up high enough, put all weight on rear axle, drive off with clamp on.

Movers are useful if space to manouvre is tight

Brendan

Post #8672505th Dec 2011 3:20 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I have a twin axle Coachman, and have a motor mover on it. If your van has ALKO wheel locks on it, you will struggle to line the lock up to the receiver on the hub, as you may need to move the van a few millimeters at a time. I recently stayed at a site where the pitch faced across a valley, and the only way to make the best of the view was to face the front out from the back of the pitch (if that makes sense). I opted for a single motor Truma mover on one of the axles, so I have only one mover each side. Some twin owners have two movers per side. The advantage of twin movers is the van can turn in its own length, but I have never had a problem with just having the single mover per side. The D3 will get your van to almost anywhere you want to put your van. I also changed the jockey wheel from the solid plastic one to a pneumatic one, and that greatly improves how the van can be moved on soft ground or a loose surface. This is a regular problem with having a twin axle van due to their heavier weight.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #8672555th Dec 2011 3:28 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I had a remote controlled Riech motor mover fitted earlier this year. Therefore I have an 8 year old Carver/Truma manually operated mover for sale. If you are intersted PM me and I will give the appropriate details. Should add that it moved 1700kg single axle very easily. It will not cost you £1K, but you will need to get it fitted.

Post #8672665th Dec 2011 3:57 pm
Pelyma

England 

I have a Reich, we only use it in the storage but I wouldn't be without it. I did see an advert for a new Alko one that is built into the chassis, this cures the ground clearance issue that movers create.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #8672905th Dec 2011 4:45 pm
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you all for such invaluable advice Bow down Bow down

I am far less worried about not having one now after reading the comments. My D3 is an Auto and its storage will be easy to access. I look at this as a 'man-challenge'.....after all, if you have a D3, surely you are supposed to be able to do these things Laughing

I particularly appreciate the comments regarding security....although common sene, not sure I would have initially thought of them!! Shocked

Post #8676806th Dec 2011 1:06 pm
Somerset Jem

Good luck with it Eyeball, I have to say my towing with the D3 has been really easy and enjoyable.......just don't forget that you have 2 tonne of tin shed on the back!.....easily done! Laughing Laughing

Post #8678106th Dec 2011 8:37 pm
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

Would a Front [Push] TowBar work? [Suitable bracket, and off set to the near side, even.]
If so, must the ball be removable for normal road use?
AAA Very Happy

Post #8678356th Dec 2011 9:16 pm
Somerset Jem

I wouldn't bother with the push tow bar personally, too much hassle unhitching and re-hitching plus the extra expense. Just a bit of practise will do the trick.

Post #8678506th Dec 2011 9:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >