two GPS devices on one antena?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
This is the one I've got, works well

I had one of those and after installing it, the Discovery sat nav kept loosing signal. Can you remember me asking over the radio on the way to and from Morocco has anyone else lost GPS signal? I unplugged it and everything worked fine.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #20529219th Sep 2007 9:37 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DarrenG wrote:
Re-radiating antennas were banned a while back in the UK, that's why they suddenly disappeared off the shelves.

Thanks for that Darren, I didn't have a clue they'd been banned. Was there a reason given?
I mean I can see that one with a 3 mile range could be used for terrorism, but I can't quite work out how the same could happen at three feet.

Nice to know the latest chipsets are so sensitive though - I have a holux with the sirf 3 and it's wierd being able to (albeit inaccurately) track yourself walking through a building. Wooded areas are certainly no longer an issue when out hiking Smile
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #20539219th Sep 2007 1:29 pm
DarrenG

United Kingdom 

stapldm wrote:
Thanks for that Darren, I didn't have a clue they'd been banned. Was there a reason given?
I mean I can see that one with a 3 mile range could be used for terrorism, but I can't quite work out how the same could happen at three feet.

In much the same way as the FM MP3 Transmitter devices were illegal, they're unlicensed transmitters. Although the low power FM Tx have been specifically legalised now, the GPS Re-Rads have not and hence were pulled. TBH there are few situations where they are necessary nowadays.
Quote:
Nice to know the latest chipsets are so sensitive though - I have a holux with the sirf 3 and it's wierd being able to (albeit inaccurately) track yourself walking through a building. Wooded areas are certainly no longer an issue when out hiking Smile

We're testing some very accurate new designs at the moment which will accurately locate you deep inside a shopping mall. Not commercially available yet.
 Darren Griffin
Editor
PocketGPSWorld.Com 

Post #20540119th Sep 2007 1:46 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

DarrenG wrote:
captain_sugar wrote:
the problem is I bought this stupid scenic for the company and ordered the athermic glass, not knowing it is blinding GPS signals. So each antenna must find some other place, probably the roof, and for two antenna, there will be drilling...

The scenic's glass won't be affected by a GPS that uses the later chipsets such as SiRFStarIII, HammerHead, MTK. All these will function behind athermic coatings perfectly well. And then you won't need an external antenna at all!

I tried my personal tomtom one with sirfstarIII and had a poor signal that dropped from time to time...
I will try again.

Post #20541519th Sep 2007 2:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >