Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

two questions please re fuel economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pjw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
two questions please re fuel economy

My first post here.....but have been a memeber since the new Disco 2.7 auto SE in Sept 06, delighted with the Disco plus great site, lots of info etc, i have two questions pls if anyone can help ?

1) several posts have mentioned the fuel economy improved as new engines loosened up, i have a 2.7 auto thats done almost 8000 miles and on mixed driving i average around 25 - 27 mpg, my question is at what mileage can one expect some improvement ?

2) my second question is if the new MY07 has better performance and slightly better economy, is their a software update out yet to improve a late (sept build) MY06 car, or can i expect one to be out later this year (in time for my first 15K service in April or May ?)

thanks in anticipation, pjw

Post #11881011th Jan 2007 4:44 pm
Disco Dog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

PJW

I've driven diesels for years, both Disco's and cars.

I always found that about 20k miles was the point where you were reaching maximum fuel economy.
 2006 G4 Challenge Support Vehicle  
Post #11882011th Jan 2007 4:56 pm
pjw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
the elusive 500 mile tankfull...

Thanks DD, i am still looking for the first 500 miles between fill ups, i can only seem to manage 430 - 450, i have just tried BP ultimate diesel and managed 460 with 25 left to go on the trip !, i am sure i would manage it on one long motorway journey but on mixed journeys even with a very gentle right foot i am unable to get to that elusive 500, so my best hope seems to be, further benefits as the engine loosens up or if any 07 software updates become available. Still very happy with the car though and even 450 miles is not bad for 2.8 tonnes of not very aerodynamic metal !

Post #11883211th Jan 2007 5:24 pm
oliver77

Wales 

My 06 model did loosen up over time and the MPG improved but the 07 Model is better on fuel and the performance is much better. Hopefully they'll be able to upgrade everyone to the same soon.

Post #11883611th Jan 2007 5:33 pm
stuart27

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

i have a march 06 model which has just had it's 15k service. Fuel economy started at around 23-24 mpg, mainly on mixed (but mostly const 56mph) type driving. Now I get about 25mpg...sometimes a little more. I consider myself a very easy going driver....never rev all that much and try to keep below 2000 rpm.

I think some of the posts on the forum suffer from slight (!) exaggeration (as with all things), about claims of 30mpg plus.

That said...you can't really complain for a car of this weight.....just don't expect too much more than you're getting.

About software updates....I think this may be a load of tosh! Maybe it depends on dealership, but when I mention software enhancement to my dealer....he looks at me blankly and mutters something about..."oh yes it's all included"!!!

Needless to say, i've not noticed any difference in performance or economy...so I am not convinced. My software update at 15k miles consisted of them frying my transmission ecu and me being without my D3 for almost a week!!!

it's still a great vehicle though!
 2006 TDV6 SE Auto :- Buckingham Blue with Alpaca  
Post #11889111th Jan 2007 7:54 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

stuart27 wrote:
I think some of the posts on the forum suffer from slight (!) exaggeration (as with all things), about claims of 30mpg plus.

All my fuel is logged, litres & mileage then put into an excel sheet (anorackish or what!!!) so accuracy is only as good as th epumps readout. I have returned 33.5 on a long run at 60 mph, but mpg at the moment is dire. My wife's Auto is struggling (and failing) to get above 24 mpg for a long run at 75mph, on an identical journey my HSE returned 27.6mpg at the same speed. Is it the dreaded fbh???

Post #11889811th Jan 2007 8:26 pm
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

After the 15K service, the acceleration is clearly sharper, no turbo lag from a standing start, really quite a big difference; overall feels like more horesepower than before.

As for fuel economy, we just came back from France (about 950 miles overall) and averaged a shade over 30 mpg for the entire trip - mixed driving, motorways not much over 70 mph anywhere and a light right foot!. This seems to be similar to what we got before the service/enhancement and added roof bars , which is very pleasing.

Guy Salmon in Thames Ditton, thumbs up! Very Happy

We tried different fuels, avoided supermarket stuff in France, but couldn't see much difference.
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #11891711th Jan 2007 8:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >