DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre age plus RLD protector questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
just stick with Rolling Eyes

had a tyre change issue with nieces car after a service, took a few calls followed then by emails
(including one from a very helpful Continental tyres) but they backed down and replaced her tyres FOC

the best way to spot the DOT code showing the age of the tyre is its more of a Branded in number rather than a manufactured in detail
so as an example this tyre would be 18th week of 2014
Thumbs Up

https://www.loveyourrv.com/wp-content/uplo...T-code.jpg

Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #218839220th Nov 2020 5:35 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Talk of max age of 10yrs for tyres now, its sort of law for hgvs and I am sure it will filter down to lighter stuff.
Iirc many places are saying max age of 7 yrs before fitting them, ie use them or lose them.

Post #218839320th Nov 2020 5:42 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Hardware wrote:
nope. mate organised it all. tyres/fitting/4-wheel alignment for cost of the tyres alone ... but for cash Big Cry

I've been in touch with Uniroyal who have confirmed they are NOT the same (which I knew, otherwise I wouldn't be bothered). They also conformed their "DOT" code doesn't actually have "DOT" as part of the code. So I'm now fairly sure I'm being fobbed off with old stock ... May 2018.

Really can't afford to waste this kind of money so I'm feeling very p1$$ed off at the mo.

Get an email from Uniroyal saying they're not the same. Send it to the tyre supplier. Tell the tyre supplier you're going to take them to the small claims court for the replacement cost and that you're contacting trading standards to report a fraudulent sale. Remind them that you have evidence in the form of confirmation from Uniroyal.

Or, if they have a social media presence such as a facebook page, go on there and publicly ask them when they are going to swap the tyres for the correct ones.

I reckon they won't want the hassle and will just change the tyres to make you go away.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #218839620th Nov 2020 5:49 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Talk of max age of 10yrs for tyres now, its sort of law for hgvs and I am sure it will filter down to lighter stuff.
Iirc many places are saying max age of 7 yrs before fitting them, ie use them or lose them.

I think Uniroyal are saying replace at max 6 years.

My mate didn't actually order the tyres as they have a "tyre man" who sorts the best deals (it's a big outfit) but unfortunately he's on his hols until a week on Monday. However they have called him and he says he will be able to sort it.

I can wait a week ... which probably means 2 weeks as all the labour is being done at weekends when they ( are allowed to ) use the facilities for friends and family.

Post #218839920th Nov 2020 5:56 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

bit of an update.

The tyre supplier tried to say they had provided the Rainsport3s as the 5s don't have "SUV" stamped on them so aren't suitable for a D4. They also said that in any case they can't get hold of the 5s until at least mid/end January.

Rang Uniroyal technical support and they told me the "SUV" marking WAS used on some of their tyres but not all and as the tyres are rated 111V XL they are absolutely a good tyre for the D4.

However, they did confirm that Covid has wrecked their supply chain and 5s, as far as they can see, are not in stock anywhere in the UK and it may be many weeks until they are available.

As I'm probably headed for France in a couple of weeks, I don't think doing it on 3 slicks is a good plan so I'm accepting the tyres and they will be fitted tomorrow morning.

I also get a free 4-wheel alignment as part of this arrangement, so it's still a good deal.

regarding age of the tyres. I'd misread Uniroyal site. It says tyres should not be used if over 10 years old, so perhaps these being May 2018 is not an issue. Plus the technical team told me they come with a 5 year warranty from date when fitted. Just need to keep some sort of proof of that.

Post #21914604th Dec 2020 4:45 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

With tyre age, different tyre companies and associations recommend different age limits. AFAIK there is not a legal requirement on age of tyres on cars whereas there are relatively clear legal requirements on physical condition of tyres.

Most tyre manufacturers recommend replacing tyres when they are about 7 +/- 1 year old. The tyre association recommends tyres should not be sold more than 2 years old so that the end user will have a reasonable service life out of the tyres. Good match of supply v demand from manufacturers and good stock rotation by distributors required.

Personally I prefer to change tyres at about 7-8 year mark irrespective of tread depth remaining as I have found that older tyres tend to suffer punctures (slow or fast) more frequently.

Brendan

Post #21918386th Dec 2020 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >