Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tyre life
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jumblemo

Tyre life

A few questions:

Whats typical tyre life mileage for the D3 folks are getting?

Are you needing to replace front and back at same rate?

Ignoring off-roading requirements, should one replace with same tyre as original?

How much are D3 tires costing on average?
 D3 Bonatti Grey TDV6
1942 Crusader Mk III with 6lbr 

Post #594930th Jun 2005 10:03 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I' ve done 16300 miles and the tyres are hardly worn. So I doubt anyone can give a good indication yet.

I had a Disco 2 before, and I was getting 50k out of front tyres, and nearly 90k out of rears.

Post #595130th Jun 2005 10:24 pm
BN

England 

Simple rule of thumb for tyre life:

Heavy acceleration, harsh braking, fierce attacks at roundabouts, junctions and bends - lucky to get 60,000 miles.

Steady accelleration and braking with gently roundabout and junction driving upto 100,000 miles (could be even better with some people).

This is all dependent on accurate tyre and wheel alignment, no kerb bumping and turning the steering wheel when stationary, correct tyre pressures and balancing and of course no off roading or towing use.

Details are what tyre manufacturers base their workings on. That is why defensive driving is also based on some of these details also.

Automatics can reduce tyre wear a little because they promote harsher cornering by default.

Post #60181st Jul 2005 6:01 am
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,

I have just checked the tyre tread depth last week and found the following.

When I got the car all tyres had 7.8mm on them but now after 3500 miles the fronts have 6.8mm and the rears have 7.3mm.

This seems a bit odd to me as I do not turn the wheels (in the steering sense Wink ) when stationary and I don't really brake, accelerate or corner hard although I do tow a caravan quite frequently .

Working on the above wear, the front will be lucky to see 25000 miles Surprised

I can only hope that the top layer of tyre is softer than the rest so that now they have been scrubbed they will last a bit longer.

Anyone else checked theirs?

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #60471st Jul 2005 7:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

marc wrote:
Hi,

I have just checked the tyre tread depth last week and found the following.

When I got the car all tyres had 7.8mm on them but now after 3500 miles the fronts have 6.8mm and the rears have 7.3mm.

This seems a bit odd to me as I do not turn the wheels (in the steering sense Wink ) when stationary and I don't really brake, accelerate or corner hard although I do tow a caravan quite frequently .

Working on the above wear, the front will be lucky to see 25000 miles Surprised

I can only hope that the top layer of tyre is softer than the rest so that now they have been scrubbed they will last a bit longer.

Anyone else checked theirs?

Cheers

Marc

Marc, do you do city driving, because that can wear front tyres, especially roundabouts. Caravans if not balanced correctly (60kg on the hitch for instance) can cause the front tyres to wear as it causes a pendulem effect on the front. Milton keynes has the highest amount of front tyre wear in the UK, because it is the town of roundabouts and fast ones at that. No 30 MPH in MK, 60mph then bang into a roundabout and about 1001 of them too.

Post #60501st Jul 2005 9:21 am
marc

BN wrote:

Marc, do you do city driving, because that can wear front tyres, especially roundabouts. Caravans if not balanced correctly (60kg on the hitch for instance) can cause the front tyres to wear as it causes a pendulem effect on the front. Milton keynes has the highest amount of front tyre wear in the UK, because it is the town of roundabouts and fast ones at that. No 30 MPH in MK, 60mph then bang into a roundabout and about 1001 of them too.

BN,

Yes I do, do a lot of city driving with some quite fast roundabouts.

I did not think about the pendulem effect of the caravan but now you mention it I suppose it makes sense, although I suppose the effect would be less on the Disco 3 (rather than a normal car say) due to its air suspension and heavy weight.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #60531st Jul 2005 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

Not necessarily, towing is towing and a large weight stuck on the rear is the old story of tail wagging dog if not correctly balanced. My 110's do serious mileage with 2.5 tonne trailers and if they are not balanced perfectly, not only is the ride aweful, but the wear on everything is bad, including steering. I have air suspension of 2 of the 110's as well.

When towing, don't forget that the trailer brakes when they come on pull the towing vehicle back and if not balanced press down on the hitch, this in turn lifts the front wheels, this causes light steering and when is this most often the case, on a roundabout or corner, front tyre wear.

Post #60581st Jul 2005 10:21 am
marc

BN,

Thanks for the info.

I must admit that on occasion the caravan has been badly balanced and has caused quite an awful ride so I think in the future I will stop and get it right rather than just carrying on and in turn hopefully save my tyres.

Thanks again

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Post #60671st Jul 2005 12:02 pm
BN

England 

Marc, if you need any help with towing and balance, please let me know and I will be pleased to help. Correct balance could save your life as well, don't forget.

Post #60681st Jul 2005 12:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >