DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre replacement (damaged) 1 2 or four?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tyre replacement (damaged) 1 2 or four?

Hi,

I found a nasty cut/tear in a sidewall today so need to replace that tyre. I have a set of P zeros that I had fitted a few years back and they are around 50% worn (maybe a bit less)

Being a former Freelander 1 driver im a bit paranoid about different tyre size issues due to wear etc (Viscus diff issues can arise).

Assuming I can get new P Zeros that match, should I

Buy a single (probably not)
Buy a Pair (and put the good art worn on the spare as thats probably aincient)
Man up and buy a set ?

Whats the thinking on this one. Thanks.
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2  
Post #219342612th Dec 2020 3:46 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Buy a set.
 PAGODA  
Post #219342812th Dec 2020 3:48 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Buy a single. I used to happily run around with all sorts of weird tread depth combos and it never caused any problems. Obviously try and match across “axles” if poss. Then when the 3 that are on there are due for replacement you can get 4 and have a reasonable spare.

Post #219343212th Dec 2020 4:01 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
I am with DSL, although if the current spare is no good I may go for a new pair and worse of the other 3 goes as the spare, as it tis winter time Smile

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #219345212th Dec 2020 5:11 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve never had a puncture with tires that I wasn’t already planning on replacing or that weren’t brand new.

On our Volvo, a few summers ago, SWMBO had driven ~500 km with brand new continentals when the tire met a bolt somewhere on some road. Also made me understand that “puncture repair sets” are snake oil. The hole was big enough that the latex-glue-whatever-thing just spewed out and everywhere during the “hardening phase” of the road side repair. I was scraping and washing that tenderly away from the side of the vehicle with tar remover and other stuff for weeks afterwards. Won’t ever buy a car without a real spare wheel after that fiasco. Mr. Green anyway, the first tire shop wanted to sell a pair of tires and wouldn’t budge.... because tires should “always always always be replaced in pairs”........... Bought from another shop one tire and it’s been 500 km less driven ever since and no issues.

Another time one tire out of a set with roughly 3 mm left got a puncture, easiest just to buy a whole new set. Thumbs Up

Post #219345812th Dec 2020 5:32 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Tyre replacement (damaged) 1 2 or four?

carbore wrote:
Hi,

I found a nasty cut/tear in a sidewall today so need to replace that tyre. I have a set of P zeros that I had fitted a few years back and they are around 50% worn (maybe a bit less)

Have you been rotating all 5 tyres?

What do you mean by a few years back? What is the actual tread depth of all 5 tyres.

My advice would be to look at the DOT code on all the tyres this will give the week and year of manufacture.

The rubber in the tyres 'ages' due to many factors including age, UV, salt, temperature, oxidisation etc. Basically you get chain scission and the rubber is harder, less flexible and more prone to punctures.

Different tyre manufacturers give slightly different recommendations on service life but it is generally about 7 years. Tyre suppliers are recommended not to sell 'new' tyres over 2 years old from date of manufacture so they need good stock rotation.

Just remember those black round things are what keeps your heavy vehicle in touch with the road. How much do you value your life, your family life and strangers lives.

You will have to decide if you have had reasonable use out of those tyres, just remember they are a disposable safety item.

Once I got sidewall damage on a brand new tyre which had done about a 100 miles and had cost me about a £100. Yes it was a hard hit but no way was I about to patch that tyre/stick an inner tube in it. My safety is worth more than the cost of a new tyre.

Personally I get new tyres at about 7-8 years. This includes the caravan as well, that is decided by the caravan mechanic on its annual service. How many caravans do you hear overturn on the motorway each year, many due to bad/old tyres

Brendan

Post #219360213th Dec 2020 11:43 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Buy a set. I change all mine as a set at 4mm. For the cost of a set of tyres, I put my family and others safety first. Its the only bit attaching a 3 tonne brick to the road in all weathers. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #219360413th Dec 2020 11:52 am
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

This isnt a question about replacing a bad tyre, thats a certain. its really about differential ware and 4WD systems.

Tyres are 4 years old or less as I had the car coming up to 5 years in March and I replaced them as a set about 1 year into ownership. Wear is trivial as I only do about 6k miles per year and <600 this year.

Ill measure the tread, probably replace a pair.
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2  
Post #219361513th Dec 2020 12:24 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The Disco doesn't use a VC, it uses a multiplate clutch and spends most of its time as an open diff. So having different tread depth front to rear won't cause the issues that the FL used to suffer from.

In extremis, you could get a noticeable speed differential between a brand new tyre and heavily worn one, but it's unlikely to cause a problem if they''re the same brand / make of tyre. Different brands might do as they're not all exactly the same size, irrespective of the sidewall markings.

Having said that, I generally replace as an axle set as a minimum. Just done that on my RRS which had worn the fronts much more than the rears (because I forgot to swap front to rear midway through their life).
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #219362413th Dec 2020 12:51 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I am not familiar with the P zero tyre as normally drive Defenders on BFGs. So I wanted to find the original tyre tread on P zero and found this on the Pirelli site

Quote:

WHEN SHOULD YOU CHANGE YOUR TYRES?
Ideally, you should replace them when the thickness drops to 3 mm for summer tyres or 4 mm for the winter ones. In any case, you should never risk reaching the legal limit for your own safety and for that of your passengers. Wear is natural for the only component with which your vehicle has contact with the road surface. Tyres are made using an increasingly sophisticated blend of chemical ingredients, which provide apparently contradictory functions like road holding and rolling resistance on asphalt that may not always be in the best state of repair. This difficult balance between the elements is naturally disrupted over time. Exposure to sunlight - in the case of summer tyres - accelerates ageing, whilst rain and snow do not make the life of winter tyres any better. Over time, tyres tend to harden, especially in the tread area. With this loss of elasticity, the compound becomes less reactive to changes of temperature and to wet conditions. Remember also that incorrect wheel geometries and failure to swap the tyres can make the situation worse.

So Pirelli recommend a minimum tread depth about double the legal minimum of 1.6mm

Brendan

Post #219362713th Dec 2020 1:36 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
I think thats 10 post and 6 options Laughing

RRSTdV8's first paragraph is probably what your wanting to know, then its your decision

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #219363913th Dec 2020 3:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

riverblanche wrote:
Hi,
I think thats 10 post and 6 options Laughing

Just getting warmed up then! Laughing Laughing

Post #219364313th Dec 2020 4:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1