Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tyre Ware
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Richc

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Tyre Ware

Slight problem front tyres badly worn on inside so had them changed at Kwikfit also had tracking done they said it was off the scale Strange Big Cry is this normal or could there be some underlying problem. Am booked in for a suspension recalibration to see if this could be at fault has anybody had this problem Sad

Post #62107615th Mar 2010 10:56 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

One of my front tyres was doing that it was worn steering arm i ended up having 4 wheel allignment done at dealers becuase as far as i'm aware the like's of quick fit can't do all the adjustments needed on D3. kwick fit can only chek the normal toe in/out. Also it's pointless doing the tracking if the underlying cause isn't sorted out. quite a few different parts of the suspension if worn can cause tyres to wear in such a way. Their are some independant places that have the correct machine. Go and get your suspension parts checked/replaced before your new tyres start wearing then have allignment done asap EDIT= It's my understanding the reason why the likes of quickfit can't do it correctley is that the D3 needs to be put into"tight tollerance mode" by dealer before allignment

Post #62109915th Mar 2010 11:42 am
Richc

Thaks for that will do. Thumbs Up

Post #62115015th Mar 2010 1:06 pm
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

Just *borrowed" Whistle this article off internet. Am starting to read more about it becuse i'm not getting ripped off by stealer again and hope to find a place that can do it for me in future.I'm lucky i have coil springs so mine dosn't have to be put into tight tollerance mode Very Happy

Various methods are described to encourage you to resolve tyre wear or handling issues, read carefully and stay ahead of 'alignment the big con'

Tracking/Alignment
Is linear, this measurement shows no concern for any other angle. This form of measurement is the most common in the World and the most damaging.
Angles measured 1

Four wheel Alignment
Uses the rear wheels as a scale to centre the steering rack.... then the front toe..... this is better but is assuming the rear is centred.
Angles measured 2

Four wheel Laser Alignment
Same as above.... be wise!

Geometry/Primary
Will image the exact rear centre line to permit a centred steering wheel.. additionally the front and rear camber positions will be measured. This is the most common form of Geometry and i consider this as 'basic'
Angles measured 8

Full Geometry/primary and Secondary
Is absolute but harder to understand. Few places even with the equipment measure the Secondary angles, these include...
Castor
KPI/SJI/SAI
Scrub radius
included angle
TOOT/Ackerman
Delta curve
and so on.......

As a final test for the centre of your choice ask them what they will be Aligning the wheels to?

Post #62115715th Mar 2010 1:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You may need to get a dealer to put it in geometry set mode before an alignment is done.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #62160815th Mar 2010 11:15 pm
washley

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I just had tyre wear problems on the front of my D3 reported at 36000km service. The wear was on the outside edge, mainly the left. I was told this was normal for the car, but at the same service they replaced the front lower ball joint in the control arm because it had excessive movement. I thought it may have something to do with the tyre wear - they didn't agree.

Post #62167116th Mar 2010 7:41 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

washley wrote:
I just had tyre wear problems on the front of my D3 reported at 36000km service. The wear was on the outside edge, mainly the left. I was told this was normal for the car, but at the same service they replaced the front lower ball joint in the control arm because it had excessive movement. I thought it may have something to do with the tyre wear - they didn't agree.

I presume the ball joint was on same side as tyre which was wearing so yes that would have caused trye to wear. They should also have carried out the 4 wheel allignment. If their saying ball joint was not to blame then what are they blaming it on Confused EDIT= just read your other thread about ball joint. No wonder their saying it wasn't the ball joint and tyre wear such as yours is normal. Their trying to get out of replacing tyre under waranty. Their not called stealers for nothing. My stealers should start to wear striped t shirts and black zorro type masks Whistle

Post #62173016th Mar 2010 10:18 am
Chicken Duck

Vatican 

this thread is interesting http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1407.html?highlight=rod+end

EDIT= these people can carry out correct 4 wheel allignment http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Post #62271617th Mar 2010 11:35 pm
Richc

Thanks for all the help have booked it in for suspension calibration and alignment check Big Cry
Looks like i will get robbed again Big Cry Big Cry

Post #62285318th Mar 2010 10:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >