Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So was mine. I had it corrected, then it went the other way after about 5000 miles.

Now it has been corrected again and it is centred at 54000. I still have a slight pull left and I think I still have inner edge wear on the rear right tyre. I am watching carefully.

Next service is 60k miles and I expect that to occur in November. If the tyre is showing definite wear on the inside edge by then I am going to push for the TSB to be carried out and may ask for contribution to tyres, as i first reported this to my dealer at 25k miles and they told me that I would have to pay for a check on the alignment.

Since then the TSB appeared!

Post #832796th Sep 2006 10:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

dylansdad wrote:
whats to stop a cowboy dealer like this one seems to be just making the adjustment and telling you there was no fault ? Confused
the standard kit will provide a printout of the before-and-after geometry, so they are unable to hide anything (unless they have a geometrically perfect Disco3 hidden round the back for just such occasions Wink )  
Post #832806th Sep 2006 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just made a note of the wear on my tyres:

Offside front - outside edge
Offside rear - inside edge

Nearsde front - outside edge (the worst one)
Nearside rear- inner edge

Does this tally with anyone else?

I will be taking a copy of the TSB with me but with regard to the tyres how bad have they got to be before they will consider replacement?

All info would be appreciated will also read through and print out any relevant bits.

Cheers
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Last edited by Cliff H on 11th Sep 2006 9:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8439311th Sep 2006 8:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

I'm extremely nervy about this issue (having been got similarly with both of my last two new vehicles) - pleased to say that, at the moment, after just ticking over 6000 miles that mine seem OK (fingers crossed Rolling Eyes )
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #8439411th Sep 2006 8:12 am
Cliff H

Mine is about the same mileage Steve and seams to have gone in the last few weeks Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad sure they were OK before as I was keepng a watch as well.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #8439611th Sep 2006 8:17 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

Hi all,
My LR3 at about 65k km and no problem at all, tires seems to be worn normally and there is 4-5mm depth. I'm using Michline synchrones.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #8440011th Sep 2006 8:34 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
too soft

Pirelli scorpion tyres are too soft. After only one half summer season (car deliverd in june winter tyres fitted somewhere November) and only 17000km, I decided not to keep the tyres for the next year since the profile was gone too much. Safety first.
I read similar comments on Pirelli scorpion on the net.
Since then, I don't even look at Pirelli, although they got excellent test results. Now I have Goodyear/Wrangler and the wear is much better.

Shame that the choice of rubber boots is so limited for our dearest car...

Post #8440211th Sep 2006 8:47 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

On my tyres it isthe inside edge that has worn fastest. It goes into dealer this week for them to take a look, I will tell them about the TSB. For me, the facts are:
- New tyres have 8mm tread
- Outside edge on the rears have 5mm (used 3mm)
- Inside edge have 3mm (used 5mm)
- The car has done 23k miles
- If the wear was even at outside level, I could expect another 23k miles (say) from these tyres. In other words, if they wore evenly I could get 46k miles from the rear pair
- Based upon uneven wear, I will have to change them at 28k (ie another 1mm of wear)
- That means the life of the tyres has been cut short by 40%
- 40% of a pair of tyres costing £350 is £140
- The fronts have also worn unevenly and I have replaced these, but I accept that these wear faster with town driving and towing. Lets say the cost of early wear is £100.
- Therefore, the uneven wear has cost me £240 (100+140), assuming they halt the problem now with a geometry change
- I will press the dealer to seek recompense from LR at this level, I would happily take two new tyres when the rears reach 2mm on the inside edge. That would cost LR a lot less that £240 - a win/win for both parties

I will post a reply on Thursday once the dealer has looked and listened to the argument.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #8441211th Sep 2006 9:32 am
Cliff H

Mine is in on Thursday too so we will have to compare notes Wink
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #8459111th Sep 2006 6:38 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Barn1e wrote:
- I will press the dealer to seek recompense from LR at this level, I would happily take two new tyres when the rears reach 2mm on the inside edge. That would cost LR a lot less that £240 - a win/win for both parties

I will post a reply on Thursday once the dealer has looked and listened to the argument.

Barn1e, dont accept partial compensation. your perfectly good tyres have been ruined by virtue of the fact that LR have a design issue causing them to wear incorrectly.

This is their fault and coupled with the incinvenience they are causing you having to have this problem looked at push for a new set.

Mine were in similar condition to yours after 27K miles and I got a full new set at no cost.

your rights as a consumer are that the vehicle should work, they have issues the TSB because there is a known fault, they are required to put the problem and any subsequent damadge right.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8463811th Sep 2006 10:37 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Thanks Dylansdad. Perhaps I am a bit too soft, I will press for the complete replacement. 24 hours from now I will post the response!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #8539013th Sep 2006 8:49 pm
&#x222B

Estonia 
Discovery 3/LR3 - Dynamic Suspension Geometry Setting Mode

No.LA204-009
11 September 2006
New functionality has been added to the integrated diagnostic system (IDS) that allows the vehicle dynamic suspension (air suspension) to be temporarily set in a geometry setting mode. This mode changes the suspension ride height tolerances to a lower/tighter range (±5mm) to allow for accurate geometry adjustment. The mode is set using IDS, but the IDS unit does not need to remain connected while the geometry is being adjusted. Activating the geometry setting mode will cause the air suspension warning lamp to be illuminated and the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) C1A00-54 to be logged. However, when the mode is de-activated using IDS, the warning lamp is extinguished and the DTC cleared automatically.
Cause: Variations in geometry setting results have led to the introduction of the above suspension mode to improve setting consistency.
Action: When adjusting geometry settings, follow the adjustment procedure in the workshop manual and use service information below to select/de-select the above mode.
Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) with DVD 103 or later and the latest patch file installed (available on GTR).
IDS

Post #8539713th Sep 2006 9:53 pm
Cliff H

MMMM wonder if all dealers are up to speed on this yet? Mine is in today for the new wheels and to look at the 'tracking'.
Mentioned that I would be looking for replacement tyres because of the problem and they said that LR would make a decision on that but that it could take weeks!
So today they will put the old tyres on the new wheels and then probably will have to book it in again for the tyres to be swapped 'hopefully'

Courtesy car is a 54 plate Primera YUCK Evil or Very Mad
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #8554314th Sep 2006 12:27 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

Waiting for the call from my dealer. Popped into the letter to the dealer, the extra detail from &#x222B regarding the No.LA204-009. I just hope they don't see me as an interfering Sad old....trying to tell them there job. I have resisted the temptation to call them. Trying to stay 8) .Letter covered tyres, knocking lower steering, creaking steering-wheel (which could also relate to cause of knocking IMHO) , TSB and LA info on all, what more could they want?
Post #8556914th Sep 2006 2:58 pm
Cliff H

Hi Barnie

So we are both waiting for the same call at the same time by the looks of things!
BTW was it you at Yarwell last Saturday?
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Post #8557114th Sep 2006 3:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >