Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Tyre workshop jacks the D3 at rear differential. Is that OK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thesettler

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tyre workshop jacks the D3 at rear differential. Is that OK?

Hi All,

I would like an honest opinion. I just came back from a tyre change done by Tyrepower in St. Agnes Adelaide.

when I had a quick look to see what the guys were up to, I saw my car jacked up the back. The trolley jack was mounted at the rear differential. I asked the guy whether that was the right way to jack up a Discovery 3 and he said yes and that this would be the strongest point for the car.

They also had to jack the front to fix a puncture on one of the tyres, but I didn't see at what exact point they placed the jack and lift the car.

Is that common that the vehicle is jacked up at the front or back and is it safe? My car is a TDV6 S with spring suspension.

Any comment of feedback would be very much appreciated. I was even thinking of contacting LandRover Australia to double check with them.

Thanks for your help.
 ----------------
TDV6 S White 

Post #3568268th Oct 2008 12:26 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I wouldn't jack on the diff and first time I've heard of it being done, wouldn't want to put all that weight on the diff unnecessarily
I always use the jacking points on the chassis rails, I know others use the wishbones
 The End  
Post #3568298th Oct 2008 12:30 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The manual shows the jacking points and it certainly doesn't suggest the diff or any suspension members. As to damage done? Question I don't know....

On a recent tyre change, I watched the service tech think about where he was going to jack the car from until he decided that it would be safer to use the jack points located near the under side of each rear door. It did take longer because he had to do each side but he was confident of no damage...

I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm if the diff is OK or not...

Cheers
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #3568308th Oct 2008 12:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
thesettler

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

In that case, I will be contacting Landrover tomorrow and see whether Solitaire can have a look to make sure they haven't damaged anything.

In the meantime, steer clear of Tyrepower in St Agnes, Adelaide, just to be on the safe side. Their so called customer service rep Gary is the most uncooperative guy I have met and certainly has communication issues. At no time did he make me feel comfortable when I said I had concerns that they jack the D3 from the diff. The owner Wayne Burbidge also confirmed that it would be ok to jack the D3 at the diff.

Please keep your comments coming. More ammunition for later.

Thanks guys.
 ----------------
TDV6 S White 

Post #3568328th Oct 2008 12:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >