Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

underbody/enginebay cleaning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoDC

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
underbody/enginebay cleaning

has anyone got advice with regards to cleaning the disco particularly after a run in the sand or mud. i have given it a good clean of the underbody but plan on getting under there again and checking out any areas that sand may have remained.

i read up on lanlin spray. it is meant to be sprayed pretty much everywhere underneath. is there anywhere that would cause negative effects if i sprayed it?

Post #62954430th Mar 2010 2:27 pm
Ecosse

Not answering your question Shocked , but just been on Landrover Experience course and the instructors were adament that I should not use the handbrake Rolling Eyes Without admitting I knew of the D3 EPB problems, I questioned the issue and they confirmed that with dirt from the offroad course the handbrake would stick & cause problems! Bit concerning as LR have known of the problem since the D3 and it's fairly obvious that an owner expects to be able to use their handbrake, and if it is an offroader to be able to use it without special treatment!
They were relying on leaving the car in "Park", which I'm not prepared to do... imagine having to admit to your insurers that you left the car without the brake on Shocked - if the EPB fails to function properly & LR claim it is not covered by warranty terms then a "not fit for purpose" issue will arise for the supplying dealer who can sort it out with LR Rolling Eyes Would help though if there was some underboady cleaning or protection treatment that could be used to minimise the problem.

Post #62970430th Mar 2010 8:45 pm
DiscoDC

that is amusing. so go for a great trip off road in the disco, but be prepared for the park break not to function correctly afterwards. did they show where in the EPB is located. I can only guess that by locating it and using some kind of prtectant such as lanolin to stop anything from getting in to it may assist in prevention.

Post #62982031st Mar 2010 12:36 am
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi DiscoDC,
As long as you keep it away from any friction surfaces, you should be fine.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #62983031st Mar 2010 4:47 am
Ecosse

DiscoDC wrote:
did they show where in the EPB is located.

They just said that the dirt/mud from off-roading got into it & caused it to jam on, so their solution was never to use the parking brake Shocked
Perhaps someone else on the forum can confirm the location of the offending components so they can be pressure washed down on a regular basis?

Post #62984431st Mar 2010 7:41 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The mud and dirt gets into the handbrake drums, which are inside the rear brake discs. It then gets between the brake shoes and the drum and grinds away the friction material.

This means that that brake quickly goes out of adjustment, and the cable pull needed by the actuator (up in front of the spare wheel, big black box with a bowden cable each side) will eventually reach the limit of the actuators travel, and the protection clutch will slip. This is to prevent the motor burning out, and it makes a hell of a screaming/grating noise. Repeated use in this situation could damage the actuator.

The only way to properly sort it out is to remove the rear brake calipers, remove the rear disc's, dismantle the shoes, clean, lubricate, reasssemble, adjust. Many just do the final adjustment to stop the screaming.

Failure to clean and lubricate can cause the brake to stick and bind. This can cause allsorts of problems. It again will wear the shoes out, and make the brake go out of adjustment. It can cause squeeking from the rear brakes at low speed. It can also be dangerous at speed if the binding causes a heat build, which can cause the the friction material to detach from the shoe, and jam. The symptom for this is a sudden vibration, that may come and go when you drive at speed, a hot rear wheel, excess brake dust on one or both rear wheels.

You can't jet wash the parking brake, it is inside the rear discs.

End of lesson Thumbs Up

Post #62985331st Mar 2010 8:22 am
Ecosse

Thanks Gareth Very Happy Sounds like a blatent case of a design fault Shocked

Post #63017031st Mar 2010 8:16 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

If I understand this right, a "fix" for the EPB problem with mud is to:

1. Install a low-pressure air compressor somewhere in the engine,
2. Install a air drier on the outlet of said air compressor,
3. Run lines from said air drier to both EPBs and somehow connect air to the inside of the brake drums, and
4. Put up with bubbling from brakes when in mud and laughter from drivers of other brands at the bubbling Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

At least it might keep the mud out of the brakes Evil or Very Mad . Any other suggestions are welcome - can't be any more rediculous that having EPBs that have a bad failure mode if exposed to mud or dust!

No doubt BBS SPY would come up with a means of getting the onboard computer to monitor this new system.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #6303931st Apr 2010 3:22 am
DiscoDC

so much for just giving the car a once over with the hose after a beach run. or then again, more attention has to be given to the rear brake disks to clear out all the crap.

Post #6310042nd Apr 2010 8:29 am
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Learned my lesson with my D3.....I just never use the park brake Whistle
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6310412nd Apr 2010 9:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Calis

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Resurrecting this old post as I'd also like to know if "anyone got advice with regards to cleaning the disco particularly after a run in the sand or mud", particularly for the engine bay.

Seems this turned into a EPB post which was all that bad really..lol..some good info.

Is there anything to be aware of when cleaning/degreasing in the engine bay other then watching out for electrics etc.

Cheers guys.

Post #97894319th Sep 2012 3:42 am
kp

United Kingdom 

The easiest option would be for lr to move to a normal car setup, ie braking mechanism on the caliper as drums are a stupid technology.

If someone comes up with a kit to replace the epb with a manual system they will be set for life on disco, ss, and ff landrover products IMO Smile
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #97896619th Sep 2012 7:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >