Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Underbody protection - needed for desert driving?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
hernan1304

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR3
Underbody protection - needed for desert driving?

I know there's been a lot of discussion on these pages about different types of underbody protection. Mine is just a quick question - is it important to install underbody protection for desert driving? (ie sand dunes)

Also, how important is it for rock crawling?

I would like to think that LR have given the D3 decent protection and that I shouldn't have to worry about hitting the bottom when cresting dunes etc, but never hurts to ask! Any input welcome.

Post #27390517th Mar 2008 2:07 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Don't think anything would be needed for sand dunes, but over rocks I guess so Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #27390917th Mar 2008 2:15 pm
Ken

IMHO there's no debate get it for a little more peace of mind , Yes you can go without and probably don't need it its your choice

Post #27391017th Mar 2008 2:16 pm
catweasel

I believe Chris Tyler hit an unseen rock in the sand and would be walking home if it wasn't for some underbody protection. is your D3 insured. bet it is but you hope not to use it, same for underbody protection. if you can afford it Crying or Very sad , get it.

Post #27391217th Mar 2008 2:26 pm
hernan1304

Thanks for the replies - I think it will be a while before I can get it since being in Dubai aftermarket parts are a bit harder to come by (unless you drive a Land Cruiser) AND much more expensive than they should be, but I'll keep it in mind especially as I get more experienced and start getting myself into more trouble.

It's a slippery slope though to start thinking about things to add / change!! Was looking at the brand new Wrangler HT's on my brand new D3 today and imagining them gone... Whistle

Post #27396017th Mar 2008 4:00 pm
ianv

Australia 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lots of sand and rock under mine so far without issue. I have completely hung it up and "wrinkled" the fuel tank guard. All is strong enough as long as you don't expect to attack obstacles at speed like a tank.
 TDV6  
Post #27436318th Mar 2008 8:49 am
hernan1304

No definitely not in the habit of attacking obstacles at speed in my very very expensive car Shocked That's great info Ian, confirms my suspicion that for this kind of terrain and careful offroading it's probably not a necessity. If I do have the bad luck of encountering something unexpected (like a buried boulder), I have offroad recovery and offroad insurance, so should be Thumbs Up. Thanks again!

Post #27437118th Mar 2008 9:09 am
catweasel

hernan1304 wrote:
I have offroad recovery and offroad insurance, so should be Thumbs Up. Thanks again!
f Censored k that, Id rather not need to rely on them. kinda of like saying "yes but I have a drivers airbag". if I could afford to I would. more reliable insurance IMO than your offroad insurance.  
Post #27437418th Mar 2008 9:13 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

hernan1304 wrote:
Thanks for the replies - I think it will be a while before I can get it since being in Dubai aftermarket parts are a bit harder to come by (unless you drive a Land Cruiser) AND much more expensive than they should be

No idea if Israel and Dubai talk to each other at a trade level, but ASFIR kit is made in Israel if you can find an importer.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #27438918th Mar 2008 10:04 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The one thing I would recommend is the Mantec front plate. I notice from your pictures that you removed the plastic cover to recover your vehicle.

The Mantec exposes the recovery point, whilst protecting the front underside. The plastic cover has plastic fasteners which are a pain to refit. A little WD40 will help them, push too hard and the clips will disappear into the depths of the front bumper!

Post #27440918th Mar 2008 10:36 am
hernan1304

NoDo$, nope definitely no trade between UAE and Israel so ASFIR is out of the question.

Gareth - I was looking at the Mantec plates with interest. Maybe will look into participating in a group buy if there is a future one? Not sure whether they'd ship to Dubai...

No hassles from the stealer in terms of voiding warranty with the Mantec plate right?

Post #27441718th Mar 2008 10:50 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No warranty issues here. I have had mine fitted for ages, and no problems at all. It has saved the front underside from a few scratches too.

Post #27442018th Mar 2008 10:55 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

My plastic oem sump guard broke when I hit a sand dune, I bought an aftermarket aluminium sump guard from british pacific, No problem so far.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #27495519th Mar 2008 7:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

There's plenty of hidden rock in the desert sands, as off-road bikers out here will tell you (nursing a busted wrist at present!!). Am having my D3 kitted up with protection plates for diff, gearbox, air tank/compressor, fuel tank etc all fabricated/fitted by local LR dealership. Have the Mantec sump protection plate which has already served me well when rock crawling in a wadi - but even at group buy prices its price was doubled by shipping and import duties. Cheaper to find a relaible fabricator locally to match up with photos you can obtain of existing plates.
Roll cage is being fabricated/fitted in the next month too along with Long Ranger auxilairy fuel tank.

Keep on truckin'!!

Post #3057933rd Jun 2008 9:38 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Ooooh, we want pics of this lot when it's all done Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #3058003rd Jun 2008 9:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >