Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Uneven Tyre wear
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nickski2005

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Uneven Tyre wear

My D3 HSE has done 30,000kms and I have just had to replace 4 tyres because they were completly scrubbed out on the inside edges. What can I do to fix this problem so it dosent happen on my new tyres and should they have done more than 30,000kms. Any feedback would be appreciated. Sad

Post #19582828th Aug 2007 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If the dealer has not already done a wheel alignment under warranty get them to do one now. They are now saying to need to pay to have it done every six months.
Give it a go and see if the dealer will do one for free.
They need to do a geometry reset before they send it to be aligned.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #19586328th Aug 2007 11:49 am
cartm58

if you go to the american forums you will see lots of complaints about tyre wear from the D3 owners including class action law suit against Land Rover.

Some owners have had wear problems after 15,000 miles on several sets of tyres

Post #19632329th Aug 2007 5:20 am
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

nickski2005, I have just been down that road a few days ago. After 29,000 kms my right rear tyre was worn right down to the steel and the other three were almost cactus (showing more wear on the insides as well but not as badly as the right rear one). Beaurepairs said there were only 4 tyres available in the state and I paid kings ransom for them ($439.00 each!). Since found out that Kumho make the same size tyres for a lot less.

Took it to the LR dealer after fitting the new tyres for a wheel alignment and mentioned the TSB (technical service bulletin) #LA204-008 that I obtained from this site. Unfortunately they wouldn't come to the party re a free alignment under warranty.

Their excuse was that if there was an issue as mentioned in the TSB, the uneven wear would have been evident much earlier than 29,000kms. Basically they said that it was normal in this car for these tyres to wear out after this distance. Mad And that I was used to getting much more distance from my tyres as I used to own a D2.
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #19632429th Aug 2007 7:01 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had the wheel alignments carried out under warranty three times to keep the tyre wear even. I still only got 32,000km out of the Censored Wranglers.
BTW Cooper HT+ fit the 18 inch wheel as well (very slightly o/s)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #19635529th Aug 2007 8:58 am
nickski2005

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for your feedback. seems like a universal problem. It will be interesting to see if anyone in a later year model has the same problem with tyres wearig out in 30,,000kms.

Post #1979251st Sep 2007 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >