Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

UPGRADE SOUND SYSTEM?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
UPGRADE SOUND SYSTEM?

i ordered tdv6se in june with standard sound.enquired re delivery early august (dealer gave me worst case and best case of 6weeks or 3 months)nice guy did search and got back to me with september build and december delivery Shocked .figured a 6 month wait was worth a reward so asked dealer if order coud be upgraded to hi ice Very Happy .contacted dealer again to check on delivery/build date /order change ? end september to find not sure if car built yet but to late to add ice Sad this was a long winded prequel to asking if anyone has advice re sound system upgrades,brands,and or dealers that have been helpfull to disco3 members. advice re existing sound quality compared to hi ice welcome .i,m sure sound will be better than my d2 with 4 speakers but would like cd stacker as minimum.i have no experience of i pods but understand from posts that my truck will not have an input for one Embarassed

Post #8784424th Sep 2006 10:09 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I don't know of anyone successfully upgrading the stereo unit. it's integrated into the cars electronics in some fashion. it's possible perhaps that you could upgrade with a higher end factory unit, but even that is a raw guess.

Best bet for an upgrade with the factory base model head unit is to buy an 8" sub that fits in the rear lift gate housing, and some external amplifiers.

Post #8792124th Sep 2006 3:32 pm
nikademus

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I had the same problem - I especially wanted an mp3 player and despite the manual and the salesman assuring me that it would, it didn't. So after a few months of sanctimoniouus anger, I did the AUX input mod (see elsewhere) and added a tomtom go 910 with integrated 20gig hard drive and mp3 player - see my gallery for details.

I spoke to a couple of people and they reccomended upgrading the existing speakers (remove and replace) and maybe install a bass driver say under the rear floor.

You can actually buy the upgraded head unit out of the US for $700 or so, but hardly seems worth it.
 Disco 2 TD5 "Good"
Disco 3 TDV6 "Better"
Disco 4 HSE SDV6 "Best"
The older I get, the better I was. 

Post #8944029th Sep 2006 8:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've been looking into replacement speakers for the doors and it looks like 6" speakers will fit. Components at front and 2 way at rear. It must be an improvement on the standard speakers even without a sub woofer. Has anyone actually replaced the speakers? How much fiddling does it take? Any recommendations for particular brands?
I have looked at some pioneer yellow cones, but they are v. pricey.
Jaycar kevlar may be poss but don't know the fequency responce.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9423916th Oct 2006 12:09 am
Q8_LR3

Kuwait 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueLR3

caverD3 wrote:
I've been looking into replacement speakers for the doors and it looks like 6" speakers will fit. Components at front and 2 way at rear. It must be an improvement on the standard speakers even without a sub woofer. Has anyone actually replaced the speakers? How much fiddling does it take? Any recommendations for particular brands?
I have looked at some pioneer yellow cones, but they are v. pricey.
Jaycar kevlar may be poss but don't know the fequency responce.

Try the alpine's speakers.. they are the best that money can buy.
 '05 LR3 HSE V8 - Adriatic Blue - Larini Exhaust System - Lamp Guards - Dual battery system - Hidden 12k winch - Rasta Sump Guard  
Post #9425816th Oct 2006 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Eero

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Q8_LR3 wrote:
Try the alpine's speakers.. they are the best that money can buy.

LOL Rolling Eyes Admittedly, Alpine have nice cd-players and a couple of great speakers (F1 etc) but c'mon...

Since we're dealing with British cars here, try looking under the name Genesis. Yes, they sell speakers, too, not just amps. Other reasonably priced HIGH QUALITY brands worth looking at might include Diamond Audio, CDT, MB Quatz, Focal, Brax etc. Not Sony, JVC, Clarion, Kenwood and the rest of the mass market manufacturers.

Sorry, didn't introduce myself. I'm from Finland, a car audio distributor and, starting today, a happy owner of a Disco 3 TDV6 SE. My previous car was a D2 Td5 - I just couldn't resist upgrading Smile

I will definitely be improving the original sound system of my car, so, if you guys (gals also?) can bear with me, I'll be happy to show you how it's done (ie. how I do it) without ruining anything. A quick look around tells me that even though we're talking about a somewhat large vehicle, there's not much space for amp & sub installation, especially in the 7-seat version.

Stay tuned! Whistle

Post #21469512th Oct 2007 7:38 pm
jonesy63

Location: Didn't we have a lovely time, the day we went to ...

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Eero,
I am interested in your suggestions on upgrading the stereo in the SE

I have been toying with the idea of putting an Audison amp under the middle row centre seat. I have been told by others it will fit there.

I am also interested in putting speakers in the rear - where the high-ICE version has them in the rear pillars. The kids complain there is not enough volume back there. To keep the original appearance, I want to get new trim for these which includes the grills and then put two-ways in there.

Anyhow - please let us know how you are progressing!

Thanks,
Rob

Post #21933929th Oct 2007 11:36 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Rob I would check before you try it. I wanted to put my powered sub there but then the seat would not go flat when folded. under the fromt seats or behind the trim at the back are the only possabilities. Behind the trim; you may need to provide ventilation (fan?).
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #21934630th Oct 2007 1:01 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

nikademus wrote:
You can actually buy the upgraded head unit out of the US for $700 or so, but hardly seems worth it.

Just picking up on this thread. The affordability has definitely changed. Anyone seen the AUD-USD. 1=.9278.

Very Happy
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #21935430th Oct 2007 3:32 am
Eero

Hi Rob,

Some Audisons get really hot, so additional cooling might be necessary when fitting under a seat. But they are good amps, so it's worth the extra effort.

I haven't been able to really look at the installation options yet. but it seems that there could be a very nice stealth subwoofer location in the 3rd row storage boxes. The lids are about the size of a 6x9" speaker, so Genesis P69 would be a high end choice. They are not some screaming 3- or 4-way speakers, but true subwoofers (originally desigend to fit the stock loactions of the new Mini). They are in fact free air speakers, but can be mounted to a closed box of 15 liters minumum.

In the front, it seems that the obvious choice of a 6.5" 2-way is the easy way out. HOWEVER, the round air vents are veeery tempting - a pair of 3.5" full ranges would be perfetcly positioned there.. Not surprisingly, such speakers are availble from Genesis Wink

Post #21937130th Oct 2007 7:58 am
Hollywood619

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Stereo upgrade solutions

Here is what I see as the best solution to integrate the OEM stereo and get high quality, clean sound. First click the link below and look at 3 products, the LC6, LC8 and DQL-8. http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/dept.asp...p;l1=17612
These convertors take their input from the speaker out leads. They will "sum" the signal, which is that they will mix all the frequencies normally split to 2 or 3 different speakers and combine it into 1 full-range signal. These units also have separate gain controls for front, rear and subwoofer, they "flatten" the signal so certain frequencies aren't spiked, and they give you an 8 volt output to an amplifier. For the power they provide I would always go with JL Audio "Slash" series amps. (One of their amps rated at 250 watts typically produces 300-400 watts). Speaker replacements run the full spectrum, but for true audiophiles I would recommend Morel, Seas Lotus or Focal components. (The JL Audio ZR series of components are very well priced and sound very good too) I have personally heard Focals play solid mid-bass at 50hz. As for a sub, a custom box would be a must to keep all your utility. Subwoofers run the entire spectrum. I like the JL W3 series. You could run 2 8's in the interest of space and it would sound like a 12.
I lurk around here every day if you want to chat me up. I have installed for 10 years and I like to keep it simple.

Nate

Post #21943030th Oct 2007 11:22 am
Eero

Re: Stereo upgrade solutions

Audiocontrols are nice, but not absolutely necessary, as many amps (good ones, too) have speaker level inputs. Genesis (am I repeating myself here? Rolling Eyes ) Profile amps, for example, turn on automatically when they sense that the cd/tuner is on. Signal summing, gain controls and crossover setting can all be done with the amp, so I really do not see any reason for a separate signal processor. Time delays, however, are a different story.

EQ's are absolute waste of money for most people. It's better to save that money and buy better speakers - ones that do not need equalisation. Very Happy

Post #21949630th Oct 2007 2:28 pm
Hollywood619

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

You are totally right Eero. The JL amps will also take balanced or unbalanced signals. I just like the way the audio control stuff cleans up the signal and gives you a little more control. Amps that "do it all" tend to be failure prone and leave very little room for upgrades in my opinion. They also tend to run a lot hotter necessitating fans or open-air installation. I like stealth systems.

Post #21950330th Oct 2007 3:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >