Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Upgrading Head-Light Bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Upgrading Head-Light Bulbs

As the title suggest's i was considering upgrading the dipped and main beam head-light bulbs to xenon bulbs.
I only have the standard hologen bulbs at the moment. What is the wattage of the current bulbs i have?
Been looking at these on Flea-Bay but they say they can supply in a 55w or 100w spec in xenons!

Discount Car Products supplied by 44nmj on e-bay.

Whats the story regarding legal end of things as they say 100w is for off road use only! any comments or feed back appreciated! Thumbs Up
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #40668721st Jan 2009 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

From reading other threads on here I don't think an upgrade from halogen to xenon bulbs is a viable proposition. You can replace the entire halogen headlamp units for Xenon ones - I think Slimer had some for sale recently.

I changed my standard halogen bulbs for Phillips Xtreme versions - still only 55 watts but there is a considerable improvement.
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #40669221st Jan 2009 4:53 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There are the 'Xenon' bulbs, the brighter/whiter lamps that Philips do (VisionPlus) and Hell-frauds sell. The VisionPlus are excellent, and make a huge difference to beam length (used them on my D2). They call them xenon in the shops....?

The really white hi-spec lights are HID (high intensity discharge) - the ones that take the higher voltage to prime.

I'm always confused by the names and the chemistry behind the name, as it all seems to be called xenon whether it's the cheap £10-20 lamps, or the £1K HID upgrade (swap full units). Perhaps they both use xenon as an inert gas in their technology? GCSE chemistry was a long time ago!

John
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #40674921st Jan 2009 6:26 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ahha... more geeking-up can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp#HID_...ht_sources
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #40675621st Jan 2009 6:28 pm
BLACK BETTY

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is three ways to go

1. Get a second hand or new set of proper HID (xenon) headlight units, they are really simple to fit and require no modification to your D3, literally 10mins work to do the job, and no skill required. The odd second hand sets pop up on flea bay from time to time. This is what I did and they are the mutts nuts. Word of warning, your D3 is not kitted out for adaptive units ie. headlights that follow through the corners with the steering or the bi-xenon units- these have a xenon hi beam and then a shutter closes off half the beam for lo-beam. HID headlights work on the same technology as the yellow street lighting, a family of lighting called Hight Pressure Discharge lighting, which gives out much higher Lumens ( units that light intensity is measured in per watt) than standard filament lamps, hence the major difference in light output, also dont be fooled by the rating of the bulbs them selves, the are rated in Kelvin's which is basically the temp the individual bulbs operated at and can be a personal choice, the higher Kelvin numbers, typically up around 18000 ( 18k) are usually highly coloured ( purple hue) and for brilliant white light around 4.5 - 6K

2. Fit the already mentioned Phillips upgrade bulbs, or for that matter any good lamp manufacturer will supply similar goods, while these lamp do offer improved light the are nowhere near the real thing, all the do is add some xenon gas to a standard tungsten lamp basically, which offers small improvements in Lumen output, but realistically its a cosmetic improvement

3. Buy a HID conversion kit, where you will recieve a high voltage balast kit and a lamp holder, and a drop in replacement for your standard lamp in a standard headlight unit, alll wiring kit is usually supplied and its relatively simple to install, but some degree of competence is required with tools , good conections, wire routing etc
I did this on my last motor a nissan navara, and there was no issues

Hope this didnt confuse matters even more

If you fit new HID headlight units, the may flicker slightly on inital startup, this is to do with the D3 software setup and the FET switching used to control the lighting system ( IMO), being setup for tungsten filament and now controling HID , but it is not harmful in any way

Of course i probaly be corrected by all the superior experience on the forum, but this is what i understand the gig to be, I've learned years ago

No mater how much you kno on a topic there is always somebody who knows more! Whistle

BB
 Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise in time.

Also appears 9/10 of stopping is stopping in time

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DiscoReaper&view=videos 

Post #40683621st Jan 2009 8:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I would be wary of HID conversions ....they aren't legal in the UK ..something to do with levelling and lens issues. The UK follows EU ECE regs which I guess is sort of applicable in Eire Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #40685021st Jan 2009 8:33 pm
BLACK BETTY

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Regs, Rules

Where can i buy some of that, need to pad out the glove box to stop the bits rattling Whistle

Sure are'nt we all outlaws over here anyway, just awaitin to be transported to van diemens land, begorragh Series 3

BB Java Black
 Nine-tenths of wisdom is being wise in time.

Also appears 9/10 of stopping is stopping in time

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DiscoReaper&view=videos 

Post #40686121st Jan 2009 8:42 pm
irishrover

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks to all who replied! Im looking for a fast and easy upgrade so think in my case its to go with the afore mentioned philips bulbs. Ill try them out and post my results at later stage, provided the Halfords near me has them. any particular sped or detail i should go to them with regarding the "Bulbs" im after. Thumbs Up
 07 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial (Java Black) with:

Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #40700521st Jan 2009 11:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have tried both Phillips extreme and Osram Nightbreakers and whilst both give a better light level, they do not last as long as LR OEM bulbs as available at stealership parts desk.

I still use them, but accept that comes at increased cost!

Post #40703321st Jan 2009 11:34 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I've fitted upgraded Philips Extremes to out D3 and it does make a difference. If you are considering going down this route, hang off a few days as Martin may be setting up an affiliate link from here which will see some income back to the site.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #40752822nd Jan 2009 10:00 pm
Alan G

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Anyone ever tried the PIAA bulbs that are available, though they are not cheap?

http://www.piaa.co.uk/bulbs/bulbapplicshow...covery+III
 ATB

Alan

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bonzo676767#p/u 

Post #40762522nd Jan 2009 11:44 pm
BADASS

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've tried the Philips Extremes and Ring Xenons +90% extra light. Waste of money though because they didn't last very long, maybe a couple of months.
 RESISTANCE IS FUTILE  
Post #40766723rd Jan 2009 12:24 am
BrewMonkey

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I can confirm that swapping the standard headlight unit for the LR Xenon unit is an utterly trivial task. Stalk eBay for a cheap set. I just picked up a pair for $900. They arrived today, are mint and took less than 15 mins to install from stepping foot in the garage to having them secured and ready to drive off. Put it this way - the instructions for removal and installation are in the handbook. Nuff said.

Now, onto the problem...well, not too much of a problem, but there is a 'disco' effect on ignition on. The lights flicker at a fairly low frequency (think hazard light speed) for 2-3 seconds before they become constant. If I key-though start, then they become constant when the engine starts.

I'll be taking a pointer from Black Betty and talking nicely to my dealer about having the settings changed to specify Xenons in the appropriate ECU.
 '08 LR3 V8 SE in Stornoway Gray, Alpaca interior. Xenons, Cold Weather Pack, Bluetooth & Sirius. General Grabber AT2s. EBC Sport Rotors & Green Stuff Pads, Traxide SC80 kit half fitted...
'11 Mini Cooper S Countryman, True Blue. 

Post #42469819th Feb 2009 5:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >