Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

URGENT- Advice/Tips needed ASAP.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
URGENT- Advice/Tips needed ASAP.

My cruise control is not working at all, stopped & switched off engine. Restarted & all was well for about 6 secs. then nothing at all.
The urgency is that first thing tomorrow I'm off to the dealer to get the latest downloads & infotaintment patch.
I'm not able to spent more than a few minutes on the pc tonight, please can I ask if anyone has any ideas as to the cause of this problem, so that I might be able to "know what I'm talking about" at the dealers in the morning.
Very many thanks.

Post #6976511th Jul 2006 8:40 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Could be many things, but a broken steering wheel slip ring might be a good place to start.

Post #6976611th Jul 2006 8:44 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Isn't this a common problem? I've seen many mentions to this on the two forums.
The cruise control buttons were intermitant on my RRS. The dealer should know about the problem.
 Matt  
Post #6976711th Jul 2006 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Agree with Winger, the slip rings are known as 'clock spring' in LR speak Wink If you have time, disconnect the battery for 20 mins to 'hard reset' the system, ensure you wait a minimum of 2 minutes after taking the key out first though
don't agree it's 'common' though, only heard of two instances...

Post #6977211th Jul 2006 9:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

See

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic2173.h...se+control

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic1256.h...se+control

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2803.ht...se+control

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic2304.ht...se+control

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic1880.ht...se+control
 Matt  
Post #6978111th Jul 2006 9:10 pm
d3matt

A quick read through some of these previous posts, seem to indicate that the problem has occured with many more RRS than D3s (my RRS too).
However, the likely cause is reported by the D3 experts (TFC for one) and little is getting posted to the other side.
 Matt  
Post #6978711th Jul 2006 9:14 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe they should get the butlers to visit this side now & again? Wink
my opinion on the commonality is entirely based upon disco3 and issues raised as TSB's, so yes, there appears to be more issues with RRS's - either that or Disco3 drivers dont use cruise control as much so never notice a problem Confused
Strangely, no issues are reported about the audio controls, which use the same clock spring, the buttons are a basic resistance ladder, the voltage returned (in analogue values) against the reference voltage determine the actions completed, it's strange that cruise is affected and not audio... I wonder if there's a problem with the terrain response (which disables cruise control) that isn't serious enough to ping up an error, there may well be a DTC recorded that only the dealers can see?

Post #6979211th Jul 2006 9:27 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thank you all so much, no time to conduct a thorough search, so that was very helpful. What a brilliant forum Very Happy
Looks as if slip rings/clock springs is the favourite explanation. Just hope it can be fixed tomorrow as I'm really busy at the moment & don't have time to travel to & from the dealers.

Post #6979511th Jul 2006 9:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I get this occasionally but only after using the phone, have always put it down to a glitch between the phone kit software (dealer fit version) and t'other systems. Has always been cleared by a 'full system shutdown' ie switch off, lock up and wait for park brake light to go out before restarting.

It happens so rarely I haven't worried about it but I'll mention it to the dealer next time I'm in there
 The End  
Post #6981311th Jul 2006 10:10 pm
d3matt

10forcash wrote:
Strangely, no issues are reported about the audio controls, which use the same clock spring......

When the cruise control buttons failed on my RRS, the audio buttons still worked fined.
 Matt  
Post #6982411th Jul 2006 11:25 pm
SN

I've had cruise die on me - but only after an engine die and a full key reset. Stopped for 20 minutes came back and it was ok
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6983112th Jul 2006 12:01 am
Gazavich

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Weve had both of ours done, loose connection behind the steering wheel no parts fitted Wink
 HSE TDV6 Silver : "Avin it large"

www.lift-trucksolutions.co.uk 

Post #6984512th Jul 2006 8:40 am
LT

Thanks again everyone, needless to say, after a good nights rest the C/C worked fine today. As is always the case with these things. The car is at T.H.White, due for collection late this afternoon. I'll report back later.

Post #6989612th Jul 2006 1:40 pm
Lesleym

Scotland 

Is it under warranty?????????????/

Take it back to the dealer.
 Just Bought one  
Post #7064915th Jul 2006 1:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >