Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Urgent help on key pairing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

I think I know where this is going now but I maybe need to clear what appears to be assumptions. I only have a refurbished key fob which does not work. I will try my best to be succinct

1. Original key fob which came with car was in poor condition but worked on the turn everytime
2. I think Valeter damaged the Original key fob. The vinyl cover was broken and insides exposed
3. Original key fob which was no longer working was sent to refurbisher (locksmith)
4. Refurbished KF returned with printed instructions to 'pair'
5. Refurbished KF worked once and car started, only Original KF 'blade' returned
6. Refurbished KF taken back to refurbisher (locksmith) tested as OK and 315 /433hz reviewed, consider refurbished KF is OK, return to car still no go
7. AA called interrogated the car (plug in) advised Refurbished KF not recognised, C/L fault and immobiliser fault noted.
8. Tried to 'pair' the refurbished KF again still no go
9. Locking car to leave for the night I decide to smudge LHD door lock with Vaseline in /out a few times C/L actuated try ignition and car starts
10. Warm car up drive to garage and remove Refurbished KF and try to restart but no go

To be absolutely clear the Refurbished KF is the only KF I now have and I have to conclude that as it has started the car on two occasions it must have the Original KF components incorporated......this is the bit I don't understand. It is said a couple of times now that I can only pair with Original KF. I don't have one anymore.

Q. What am I missing here as I would assume that as the Original KF components are now 'IN' the Refurbished KF surely the IID or GAP can reset the whole system?

Paul

Gosh I really hope I have been clear
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774785th Jul 2016 6:59 pm
maxbasscat

Nappy - thanks but I have no original key now, I think my note explains that now
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774795th Jul 2016 7:01 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think whats happened here is that your key worked ok, until you tried to re-program it again and that has now killed it, because you can only do it once.
I think you need a new key and go from there.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #16774825th Jul 2016 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If your refurbished key contains the internal PCB of the original key, then the car will consider this to be the original. It doesn't know or care that the case/battery/blade has been changed.

Maybe a dry joint connecting the battery to your fob PCB? Or a duff/flat battery. They can be charged on electric toothbrush "docks" if you have or can borrow one. I'm can't recall off the top of my head if the immobiliser is active (requires key power) or passive (doesn't).
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #16774835th Jul 2016 7:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maxbasscat

Flack - Thanks that is more or less what I was thinking, my terminology of reset is perhaps not right it is the requirment to have an Original KF that was really confusing me as I just don't have one anymore.

Now here is another query the local garage man who has reached his limit of experience too has suggested that the local auto locksmith can cut a new key and reset / reprogrammed the car. Is that likely?
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774875th Jul 2016 7:15 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
Now here is another query the local garage man who has reached his limit of experience too has suggested that the local auto locksmith can cut a new key and reset / reprogrammed the car. Is that likely?

No only a new key is going to work.. once you try reprogram a key it wipes it first ready to reprogram it, I think this is what you have got now..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #16774885th Jul 2016 7:18 pm
maxbasscat

Martin- can't type quick enough, hopefully as BLF said last night the Oral B was a way forward so hoping those at home have done so......assume worst as wifey not call
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774895th Jul 2016 7:19 pm
maxbasscat

Flack- now favouring trailering on Sat morning when I get home to Indy who has indicated that he needs my V5 logbook which makes procurement of key from LR main dealer easier. Sounds like a man who knows a bit.

Yep I could take to Marshalls Cambridge who service my TDV8 but I think this outfit Rolls at Bourn offer the light at end of tunnel. I hope at a reasonable price.
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774985th Jul 2016 7:29 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

If you order a key from Land lover with your VIN I presume it works out of the tin?

Post #19330533rd Apr 2018 6:30 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Doubt it.

If it was a mechanical key it would be cut but unprogrammed.

Post #19331353rd Apr 2018 9:36 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

maxbasscat wrote:
I think I know where this is going now but I maybe need to clear what appears to be assumptions. I only have a refurbished key fob which does not work. I will try my best to be succinct

1. Original key fob which came with car was in poor condition but worked on the turn everytime
2. I think Valeter damaged the Original key fob. The vinyl cover was broken and insides exposed
3. Original key fob which was no longer working was sent to refurbisher (locksmith)
4. Refurbished KF returned with printed instructions to 'pair'
5. Refurbished KF worked once and car started, only Original KF 'blade' returned
6. Refurbished KF taken back to refurbisher (locksmith) tested as OK and 315 /433hz reviewed, consider refurbished KF is OK, return to car still no go
7. AA called interrogated the car (plug in) advised Refurbished KF not recognised, C/L fault and immobiliser fault noted.
8. Tried to 'pair' the refurbished KF again still no go
9. Locking car to leave for the night I decide to smudge LHD door lock with Vaseline in /out a few times C/L actuated try ignition and car starts
10. Warm car up drive to garage and remove Refurbished KF and try to restart but no go

To be absolutely clear the Refurbished KF is the only KF I now have and I have to conclude that as it has started the car on two occasions it must have the Original KF components incorporated......this is the bit I don't understand. It is said a couple of times now that I can only pair with Original KF. I don't have one anymore.

Q. What am I missing here as I would assume that as the Original KF components are now 'IN' the Refurbished KF surely the IID or GAP can reset the whole system?

Paul

Gosh I really hope I have been clear

Talk to Locksmith and establish what they actual changed so you have a startining point.
Did they just change the outer case for new leaving the original inner printed circuit board and blade or did they change the inner c/board and outter case just leaving the original blade.
You need to establish this before you start so people can have an accurate point to start from.

Also how old is your D3?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #19331904th Apr 2018 7:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >