Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Urgent help on key pairing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
maxbasscat

Ukraine 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

A. As per written instruction from key refurbisher.

Started once, then no response red flashing alarm light on dash continues then again with fully charged battery, tried reboot. Then tried printed procedure again.
Closing vehicle up to go home fluked the C/L and car started.

I have lifted the story and repeat here:

'Read through this thread as closest to my issue. Story so far LHD Gulf / Saudi spec. with one very tatty fob supplied at purchase.

Car needed complete brake overhaul so left with local garage. Car always started on the turn every time but had a C/L issue and even locked mechanic out one day. Short term answer: removal 30A fuse. Keys and C/L were on list of jobs to do. Needed a full deep clean so left car with valeter. Alarm kept going off so valeter pressed the fob and broke plastic covering to expose innards. OK not helpful but not a problem needed a new one so sent only fob I have to get refurbished.

I am working away. Key returned so asked son to test (30A C/L fuse still removed) went through process to pair he noted pairing 'not' successful but car started anyway but only the once!

Valeter cannot start car, to move it. The tale begins. 30A fuse put back not a sausage from fob and won't start after my attempt to pair the fob.

I have checked the key fob with the refurbisher, it appears good. Thought the AA might help with diagnostic. AA says flat battery anyway and key not recognised. Later I checked fuses just in case, disconnected battery 30 mins for a re-boot still nothing!

Just about to re-install fully charged battery and go through processes again and will look for Three Green wires.........is there anything obvious that I am missing?'

NEXT BIT
' .........Tearing my hair out now.

Fully charged battery on, full lights on for no reason but still no pairing and just about to give up. So smear door lock with Vaseline just to give it lube for next time, C/L activates....press fob but no response, cannot understand how all that happened! Out of intrigue try the ignition and it starts on the button! Move the car after warm up to garage there is the possibility it might not start again. Park up and in my heart I want it to start but it doesn't back to start. Anyone got an idea?'
 D3 2.7 Zermatt silver (not another one)
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
D3 2.7 (gone) Tonga Green
D3 4.4 V8 LHD Tonga Green
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16770904th Jul 2016 8:48 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm still not sure how you 'paired the key'

Post #16770934th Jul 2016 8:52 pm
maxbasscat

OK from memory on pairing, sat in Gibraltar remotely viewing input here so this is what I remember. Working on basis if I try all obvious stuff before I get a mechanic charging by the minute to replace kit til he finds answer.
Here goes>>>>>
1. Enter vehicle close door
2. on dash lock /unlock twice
3. Insert key in ignition do not start then take key out
4. Advised that key removal should trigger locking and unlocking C/L reaction ( IT DID NOT)
5. press unlocking button on fob followed by three depressions of locking (NOTHING)

There were some other pointers but did not get past 4. above. I pay enough so I got AA man who plugged in and suggested
A. key not paired
B. C/L fault
C. Immobiliser issue

I have lifted the text above from 'Key fob not working' thread as it was nearest I could associate with my issue but local garage is now suggesting get to local LR Indy so I have to get home, hire a trailer or get uplifted. Indy who suggested reboot will get from LR main dealer new key + resetting of the full immobiliser looks ££££

Hence request for anything obvious I might have missed?
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16771104th Jul 2016 9:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Can anyone help maxbasscat ? ?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16771184th Jul 2016 9:30 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Is there anybody near you that has a diagnostic tool capable of pairing?

Post #16771294th Jul 2016 9:45 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Nothing you have done will pair a key, only a diagnostic tool will do it - hence the comment above.

Good luck.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #16771404th Jul 2016 9:56 pm
maxbasscat

OK back on subject

Whilst I am in Gibraltar car in South Cambs. Royston HERTS is nearest large(r) town. It was due to be transported to Gib. Monday gone.

I do not know of anyone close by with a diagnostic tool, wish I did. Anyone know? PM me if anyone knows.
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16771664th Jul 2016 10:24 pm
omg!

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I am coming to Gib this Sunday afternoon and could bring my BT IID tool with me. I will be away sailing all week and will return on Friday 15th in the afternoon, staying in Gib until Saturday morning.

The tool can be used to pair keys but it would need another VIN licence to do it on yours as my tool is locked to my car. I think an additional licence is £60 from GAP so if you felt it was worth doing I will happily bring it along but I can't make any guarantees that it will work as I have never done it before.

The iid tool manual says this:
Key Programming (VIN locked L319-04)
An already programmed key is needed to begin the procedure. At fi rst, the IIDTool will start displaying
messages to guide you through the process. Once the key is turned to position I, the LED on the IIDTool
is used instead of the instrument cluster to indicate status or step completion.
• “Each key is programmed at position 1 (accessory) <+>”
• “When completed turn last key at position 2 (ignition) <+>”
• “Reprogram all keys including new ones? <+> Yes, <-> No”, Press on the Speed + / Menu
Up button to continue.
• If the engine is not running, the following message will be displayed: “Start Engine”
• Followed by “Turn Key to Pos. 1”, this will turn OFF the engine and the vehicle will remain in
accessory mode.
• The LED on the IIDTool will fl ash once to indicate key number one is being programmed. It will
turn solid to indicate completion.
• Remove the fi rst key. The LED will fl ash to indicate it is waiting for the second key.
• Insert the second key and turn it to position 1.
• The LED on the tool will fl ash twice to indicate key number two is being programmed. It will turn
solid to indicate completion.
• Repeat until all keys are programmed.
• When the last key is programmed (LED ON), turn the key to position II.
• If the process was successful, the message “Upload succeed <+>” will be displayed. The key
programming is now complete.
Add a key (VIN locked L322-10 and L319-10)
This routine is used to add one (1) new key to the vehicle. It will not remove previously programmed
keys.
An already programmed key is needed to begin the procedure. Instructions will be displayed on screen.
When prompt, press and hold the unlock button of the remote. Pressing the unlock button will be done
a few times in a row to complete all programming steps. The horn will be activated during the procedure.
Notes:
• A used key can be programmed to a new vehicle. Once programmed, it will no longer work on
the previous vehicle.
• Both key models (slim and bigger one) can be programmed on any model and year.

Post #16773185th Jul 2016 10:45 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I've never seen the pairing procedure you've quoted Confused

After my own refurbishment of my own keys I haven't had to pair back to the D3. They just work.

Perhaps, and only a perhaps, the key refurbisher accidentally swapped the PCB inside your key with the PCB from another key he was doing?

So you are basically trying to use someone else's transmitter/immobiliser with your key blade?

Does your D3 have the 315MHz key system not the European 433MHz?

If I was closer I would happily help with diagnostics.

I suggest you start a new thread with a new title asking for a member with IID Tool or GAP or other diagnostics near Royston/Cambridge. Not everyone will be reading this thread, but a new thread with a relevant title will be more visible.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #16773655th Jul 2016 1:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maxbasscat

Martin - Top stuff will do later but sweating cobs here in Gib at the moment.

Pairing advice was the printed word from locksmith who I have seen on here as recommended. So it is a mystery. I did at one time think that the valet may have damaged the internal components.

Key was taken back to key refurbisher in London and double checked and 315 /433 hz checked as I thought might be an issue too, so the story plays out and still have no luck.
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16773835th Jul 2016 2:31 pm
maxbasscat

omg! - luck works against me as I will fly back to UK Friday......bring your sun tan cream and swimming gear though. 8)

Here's the rub I now only have one key, a clone from the original and the blade from the original fob The cloned fob is the one that will not work hence my comment in last reply to Martin I think a total reset is the only way forward. Will an IID tool reset the system?

That is what is brilliant about this site people go out of their way to help many thanks for the contribution
Paul
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16773875th Jul 2016 2:43 pm
omg!

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Oh that's a pity and just bad timing. Thanks for the tip on the weather, which I KNOW 8) is going to be nice for my 2 weeks.

I'm not proficient enough using the iid tool to be able to advise you I am afraid but I am sure some of the techs on here will have the answer for you.

Good luck.

Post #16773905th Jul 2016 2:50 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If your trying to use a key that has been programmed to a other car it will not work, it has to be a virgin key to be able to pair it on a D3.

Geoff is the nearest one to you with a tool to pair your key for you but still a trek ..

I am coming down to Southampton on Friday but your out of my way Shocked

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #16773965th Jul 2016 3:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maxbasscat

Flack - the original key was used to create the new key (refurbished key) see the story, it does not work. I wonder whether this key, the only key fob I have can be reprogrammed at the car and the system reset? I just do not know.

Strong connections with Preston and NW. Personally I do not know your chosen route but if you do M6 A14 then A1198 goes to my door! I don't know your plans. PM me if you can help
D3 4.4 V8 Zambezi silver
D3 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
FFRR TDV8
Defender 300 

Post #16774065th Jul 2016 4:10 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It didn't work because as has already been stated, you cannot program a key using a series of mythical steps and procedures like installing the key, closing the door etc. as you have done.
The only way to program a key for a D3 is using a diagnostic tool which you haven't got and you must have a virgin key ( brand new, never been used or programmed ). The keys are a one shot, single program item. Once programmed, that's it, cannot currently be reprogrammed to operate on a different vehicle.

Whoever does the new key set up, you'll need a brand new unused key as well as the original working key, if you want the new key programming to your car.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #16774135th Jul 2016 4:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >