Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > North America & LR3/4

Used Discovery 3/ LR3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
miracLe

Used Discovery 3/ LR3

Currently I am looking for a LR3. A used one since I am getting it as a high school graduation present from my parents. 20k is the maximum I can go with the money from my parents. How is the reliability of the 05-06 LR3 once they hit the 80k+ mark?
 Future LR3 owner, from the swamps of Louisiana  
Post #70670121st Oct 2010 9:01 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you are getting one as graduation present I would'nt care about the realiability...........I am sure Mummsy and Daddy will bank role it for you..................... Evil or Very Mad

Post #70670321st Oct 2010 9:04 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

dont be nasty macleod, you are just jelous Laughing

Welcome miracLe.

Cant comment on US prices but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you Thumbs Up

you could alway buy Macleods, he never uses his Laughing
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #70670521st Oct 2010 9:06 pm
MacLeod 313

Not at all, but if my parents were to spend 20k on a Landrover for me I would negotiate Servicing and running costs Laughing Laughing

Come on.................Graduation......................20k gift...................................LR3

Welcome anyway, enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #70670621st Oct 2010 9:09 pm
MacLeod 313

DiscoDunc wrote:

you could alway buy Macleods, he never uses his Laughing

Now thats Jealousy Laughing Laughing , I love my Pavement Ornament.

Won't be long before I get the same letter from the council as I did last year, asking me to move it as they need to Roadsweep under the D3 Laughing Laughing

Had a Dandilion grow under the D3 early in the summer, higher than the Cat Whistle

Post #70670721st Oct 2010 9:12 pm
miracLe

MacLeod 313 wrote:
If you are getting one as graduation present I would'nt care about the realiability...........I am sure Mummsy and Daddy will bank role it for you..................... Evil or Very Mad

Parents only plan on paying for it, they won`t pay for insurance and such. I wish they did. Big Cry
Post #70671221st Oct 2010 9:18 pm
jsui

Finland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine is a diesel engine version manufactured Oct 2005, now at 108k miles, one front wheel bearing replaced, original battery replaced this year. Smile

Probably many (most?) of the D3s have been serving well, without major hick-ups. Thumbs Up When reading e.g. this Forum you may get an impression that it is all faults and problem with D3, but I guess that's to great extent because when people occasionally encounter trouble, this is a great place to ask for advice and hints.

Post #70679822nd Oct 2010 6:17 am
scootay2k5

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mines an 05 model HSE i have the occasional hickup with the suspension fault which alike many others goes away by just switching the car off and back on. other than that it runs like a dream... seriously if i had to get rid of it there is only one other car i would go for and thats a D4... I LOVE IT!

Post #70679922nd Oct 2010 6:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

check :

Arb Bushes
suspension bushes
intercooler hose
wheel bearings if its been used offroad specifically wading
and check its had all the latest software enhancements applied. (any dealer can do this)

everything else I would say are just general checks as you would for any vehicle.

if you need parts fast TheLargeOne can supply, and probably faster and cheaper than you can buy locally Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #70681722nd Oct 2010 7:54 am
miracLe

If all goes well I plan on getting a good, thorough service done on it. I plan on doing a nice road trip in it. How comfortable are they road trip wise?
Post #7112742nd Nov 2010 9:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

17hours straight coming back through France (two drivers) but going tank to tank without stopping & then still get out as fresh as a daisy. And that's on our uncomfortable narrow European roads, given the wide expans you have stateside, you will have no problems with comfort at all my friend Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7112762nd Nov 2010 9:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miracLe

Bodsy wrote:
17hours straight coming back through France (two drivers) but going tank to tank without stopping & then still get out as fresh as a daisy. And that's on our uncomfortable narrow European roads, given the wide expans you have stateside, you will have no problems with comfort at all my friend Thumbs Up

Sounds good too me, I just don`t wanna be too comfortable and fall asleep at the wheel you know? Embarassed
Post #7112822nd Nov 2010 9:54 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I'm not going to say much, as mine is more or less a lemon, but I still love driving it! It doesn't bother me much.

Or, get a Jeep. Whistle (I have one for backup, when the LR is in the shop) Laughing
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #7113663rd Nov 2010 12:53 am
geotrash

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

miracLe wrote:
MacLeod 313 wrote:

Parents only plan on paying for it, they won`t pay for insurance and such. I wish they did. Big Cry

Miracle-

I'm going to commit heresy on this board but I don't give a $hit -- it's good advice Smile I was in a little different situation- paid for my college myself and had a few bucks in my junior year to finally buy a car, but it makes no difference really. Once it's yours, you still have to feed it. You are in a very good position with some excellent advantages. Don't squander that cash on a Land Rover at 18 if you have to pay for the upkeep yourself. It will eat you alive on a college budget and will spend most of it's time in the parking lot waiting for the checking account to build back up for the next thousand worth of repairs. Hey, they're great trucks, but cheap to run they ain't. They're designed for the budget of an experienced professional several years out of school, both in new/used purchase price and in upkeep costs...which you will eventually be. Parts are expensive and there are lots of things to go wrong.

If I were in your spot, I'd go out and get an early 2000s 4Runner or an XTerra with 100K on the clock for less than 10 grand, spend a couple grand on a kickin' stereo, a roof rack, camping gear, and a night on the town with my favorite girl, and still have 7 grand left over to put down on a sweet LR4 or Range Rover Sport when I landed my first great job.

Dave
 If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy  
Post #7113813rd Nov 2010 4:09 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Excellent Advice Dave Wink

My son is after his first 4WD and it will be either a 4Runner or a Hilux.
Tough and most importantly you can fix it yourself or with mates cheaply!
Sure it won't be as comfortable as a L/R or go as well but it won't send you broke.

Rich
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #7113823rd Nov 2010 4:46 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >