Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Using bottle jack on Air equipped D3s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Using bottle jack on Air equipped D3s

An interesting comment from one of the service guys whilst waiting for my brake/pump recall work to be completed. I mentioned that I trusted the provided scissor jack about as much as I trusted a ex-lax fed puppy on a new carpet, and that I kept a bottle jack for jacking the wishbones.

There was a general agreement over the suitability of the provided jack, however he noted that he thought that the air sprung cars had a different lower joint than the coilers, that was only made of lightweight plastic and only designed to carry the weight of the wheel when raised off the ground, rather than the entire weight of (1/4) of the car when jacking underneath it. He believed that the coilers had a reinforced part to cope with the extra stress.

Has he been misled, or is there some truth that lower wishbone joint damage may occur from jacking a non-coiler in this way?

Any advice, or a traditional D3 forum slide into off-topic gratefully received Smile
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #54025526th Oct 2009 12:37 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Personally I think he's talking Censored ....

There would still be the same weight at that point, but it would just be suspension by air instead of spring. But it's still the same weight.... (maybe you shoudl fill teh air suspension up with Helium? Would that help....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #54027826th Oct 2009 1:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

I was wondering that Bodsy...except...in my deluded and definitely overstressed head I could see the bulk of the weight of the car normally being directed through the top ball joint, not the lower one. The lower one would be subject to lots of lateral forces, but I could only see it's vertical loading coming into play when the wheel is hanging freely. I reserve the right for my brain to be telling me Censored too; it wouldn't be the first time Whistle

Helium would definitely be more fun if the car vented the excess into the cabin space though, maybe it'd help the voice recognition? Rolling with laughter
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #54028226th Oct 2009 1:30 pm
TR

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just a thought , where does the MOT tester raise the car for inspecting the bearing free play etc

Post #54049726th Oct 2009 8:18 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dom, I thought you were going to get an air jack?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #54050026th Oct 2009 8:23 pm
stapldm

Have approval Stu! Just waiting for NoDo$h to provide me something special to stick up the behind Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #54051426th Oct 2009 8:51 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If Al is providing it, it might be a bit small. You might need something bigger! How come you need Al to sort something surely they come with something to bung up your rear?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #54051926th Oct 2009 8:55 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Using bottle jack on Air equipped D3s

stapldm wrote:
, however he noted that he thought that the air sprung cars had a different lower joint than the coilers, that was only made of lightweight plastic and only designed to carry the weight of the wheel when raised off the ground, Smile
.......Please tell me this man is talking BILGE Rolling Eyes , I'd never want to take a corner at speed again, for fear of the whole bl**dy lot folding in on me, if I thought that was true.  
Post #54052226th Oct 2009 8:56 pm
stapldm

He seemed quite convinced that the only issue was the lifting of that point, not any other loading factors, but it still seems very unlikely that they would produce two different parts when one (stronger) part would do for everything.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #54057526th Oct 2009 10:04 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Bungage is still being looked into. I remember now why it took so long to get the first batch sorted. Blimey, don't people want business these days?

Hope to get some news later this week or early next Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #54064726th Oct 2009 10:52 pm
stapldm

Thanks ND, I can see it's a long winded up hill struggle to get these things moving; appreciate it Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #54066226th Oct 2009 11:04 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Used compressor with Bushranger XJack (4 Tonnes). Quick, clean and controllable, good for positioning stands, no poisonous gasses.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #54110727th Oct 2009 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >