DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

V6 Petrol SE Driveaway deal...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
malfunction99

Australia 

Hi All,

New to this forum - and seriously considering buying my first "serious" non-baby 4wd.

I see that LR aus are advertising the Disco3 SE V6 Petrol model at a driveaway price of AUD63,990 - which on the surface seems to represent pretty good value, since a SE TDV6 appears to be about $10k dearer, excluding ORC - so say $14~15k all-up here in QLD.

However, much as I've tried, I've been unable to find any reviews etc on the petrol model. I'm a little concerned that LR are aggressively pricing this model because they can't get rid of them - the fuel consumption figures show the pterol V6 to be about half as fuel-efficent as the TDV6 in urban driving and 40% worse on the combined loop. And this would be my only vehicle, so a large portion of my driving will be suburban hum-drum...

I'd greatly appreciate hearing any/everyone's view on the V6 petrol. Is it worth buying?

FYI - taken from LRA's website:- This offer is packed with off-road technology, on road refinements and luxury. Terrain ResponseTM. Command driving position. Electronic Air suspension. Almost 2 metres of fold-down flat floor space. Leather. Automatic Climate Control. Hi-fi with 6 speakers. 18" alloy wheels. Split tailgate.

Thanks

Post #1284898th Feb 2007 2:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi malfunction99, welcome to the site.

Whilst I am not mechanically familiar with the merits of the V6, when I was looking to order (about 7 months ago, just when the V6 "special" began) fuel prices were at their height and everyone I spoke to thought that the petrol V6 re-sale would be an issue.

I didn't really care about re-sale though and I don’t pay for fuel.

I wanted a car for long comfortable k's on road (50k+pa), but with off road capabilities also. The TDV6 could deliver both, and the modern diesel engine only slightly sounds like an oiler of old (just enough Wink)

Anyway, I'm sure a V6 owner will be along soon to sing its praises - but for me diesel is the way to go.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #1284938th Feb 2007 3:30 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Mal'99

Try this review:-

Overlander Disco, Prado, Territory & Prado

Or this one:-

Drive.com.au Disco3 PV6

But I'd also look around for some SE V8s (they seem to be similarly priced, given the 'fuel price crisis' we're apparently having), if you can find one (there's probably only dealer demo's left though). In my experience they use a similar amount of fuel.

Post #1284948th Feb 2007 4:13 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi malfunction99, I’ve got a 2005 SE V6 and when I was looking at buying, I weighed up the cost difference of the V6 and the TDV6.

The short of it is that as the D3 would be our town car, the then $8k difference wasn’t valid, even when considering the probable difference at resale time.

The V6 has more grunt and even though we have had a few long distance trips in it, the fuel consumption is at worst only about 30% higher than the diesel and then when you factor in the difference in the cost of say Optimax and diesel, the fuel cost difference is actually closer to 20%.

Unless you are planning on towing a trailer or caravan for thousands of miles, you are going to have to do well over 150,000kms before the diesel would work out cheaper.

Grab it, you will love it.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #1284978th Feb 2007 5:33 am
malfunction99

Australia 

Hi drivesafe,

Sounds like I've been following the same thought processes as you - the V6 sounds like its probably going to be fine.

I figured that if I do approx 20k km p.a @15.2 per 100km @ $1.10 per litre, the fuel cost per year should be about $3340

Same scenario for the diesel comes to about $28-2900 here in Brisbane. So, its unlikely that I'd ever bridge the cost gap between petrol and diesel. Combine this with the potentially messy diesel refueling experience, and the V6 looks better and better..

Which just leaves one real question:- assuming the specs etc are otherwise identical, which provides the superior driving experience, V6 or TDV6?

It sounds as though you're pretty happy with your V6. I'm assuming the weight/size for daily use isn't too much of an issue?

Guess I'll have to score a test-drive in a week or two (in PNG on business right now) I'm hoping that whichever way I decide, there won't be a long wait for delivery:- I'm not too patient when waiting for a new car Smile

Post #1284998th Feb 2007 6:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The fuel consumption for the V6 and V8 are about the same. The V6 has to work harder. I agree with Glymmer_Man try to find a cheap V8, they had some when I was looking with only five seats going for a song.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1285188th Feb 2007 8:46 am
malfunction99

Australia 

How much of a song? Smile

Post #1285228th Feb 2007 9:01 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

maybe it was the same as this one?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9130.html?highlight=seat
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1285418th Feb 2007 9:51 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

G'day malfunction 99,

I've got the V6 petrol S (coil springs). It uses approx 14 - 14.6l/100 in town, and drops to below 12 on long outback trips, or 14 to 15l/100 while towing our Jayco offroad camper, actual useage as mine does not have a trip computer.. So I would wholeheartedly agree with Drivesafe - the difference in running costs is well offset by the lower price. And as far as resale value is concerned, the longer you keep it, the less the differential will be, assuming, that is, that the petrol will bring a lower trade-in price anyway.

And the driveability of the petrol engine is MUCH better than the diesel - no throttle lag, much higher revs available, no vibration, less noise and the magnificent auto box seems to disguise the lower torque. This is not an idle assessment - I had an extended test of both diesel and petrol before buying, plus I've had both diesel and petrol 4WDs for over 40 years and despite some advantages for diesel, I would still enjoy driving a petrol unit more. And as a final bonus, using standard unleaded (when I could not get Premium) has shown no noticeable difference in performance or consumption.
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #1285648th Feb 2007 10:34 am
barryp

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I went for the TDV6 Versus the petrol because of its greater efficiency ( Green house gas minimised for weight of vehicle) but mainly because I love that massive torque at low RPM. Much more practical than high KW at high RPM.

V6 petrol 360nm at 3000 RPM
TDV6 440nm at 1900 RPM
V8 425nm at 4000 RPM

TDV6 has more torque at lower revs than the V8!

Much more practical power for everyday driving and worth the extra spend in my view. Its not a straight $ break even issue the diesel gives improved driving pleasure.

Very Happy
 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, gone after 12 years! Excellent vehicle.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW 

Post #1285658th Feb 2007 10:34 am
drivesafe

Australia 

malfunction99 wrote:
Which just leaves one real question:- assuming the specs etc are otherwise identical, which provides the superior driving experience, V6 or TDV6?

It sounds as though you're pretty happy with your V6. I'm assuming the weight/size for daily use isn't too much of an issue?

As far as it goes, the D3 is actually my wife's and she couldn’t be happier.

She owned a Astra before the D3 and says the D3 leaves the Astra for dead when it comes to driving, so you won’t be disappointed.

I’ve only driven the D3 off road twice and as I was not a good lad when I did, the wife has band me from taking the D3 off road so I can’t give you a fair insight to the off road capabilities but the little I did, the advanced electronics meant that it was an equal to my MkIII RR.

Cheers.
Post #1286018th Feb 2007 12:14 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

BTW there is one more thing to consider, diesel engines require more frequent and more expensive servicing than does the V6, which gives the V6 another cost advantge.

Cheers.
Post #1286078th Feb 2007 12:23 pm
White Disco

Australia 

Check out Year of Manufacture (MY) the dealer may be pushing MY06!
I did a deal this time last year an MY05 and saved thousands.
IMHO go the diesel. If you go Nth west of Dubbo or Bourke (just about anyway) or beyond the Black Stump diesel is the poison of choice.
Cheers
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1286128th Feb 2007 12:30 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi malfunction99. One of the reasons I went for a diesel because LRA did a special deal on base models and the lower price put a diesel D3 within my reach. I suspect the S models were offered on special as LR was about to supply the leather seats only across the range (S, SE and HSE). I also considered the petrol V6 and there were a few available at the special price but I wanted EAS and the Terrain Response and a car was located that met my requirements.

Another reason why I bought the diesel. I migrated from a petrol Pajero GLS and was very impressed with the Disco 3 diesel for around town performance (despite the turbo lag - just drive to suit the requirements) and the comfort and ergonomics of the D3 left the Pajero in it's dust.

But the main reason I bought the diesel is because low emissions and coupled with the fact that petrol can only get dearer in the long term as meagre supplies are distributed to more developing countries. I have it on good authority that when this Earth runs low on crude oil, there won't be any more because we need several things for that to happen.

1. We need a dramatic change of climate for crude oil to be formed.
2. We need masses of green leafy material (rainforests in other words) and we seem to be hell bent on destroying those.
3. We need a long time for the greenery to change into crude oil - millions of years in fact).

But Volkswagen has in conjunction with others has developed a replacement for diesel fuel that is a large percentage cleaner than crude oil derived diesel, can be produced from crops and can be used in ALL diesel fuelled vehicles with any modifications.

Therefore I went diesel so that when petrol supplies are in dire straits at least I can use this product called SunDiesel (it can use the same distribution and delivery systems that already exists).

But having said that I reckon a Disco 3 with ANY engine is good value for money. Don't worry about calculating the cost comparisons between the diesel and petrol engines. If you did buy the diesel, it just means that the initial purchase price was different to the petrol. Other makes of luxury 4WD cost, in some cases, much more than the D3 but may not give you the satisfaction of owning a car that gives so much pleasure to it's driver.

That is commonly called PermaGrin, and you have probably read about it here on www.disco3.co.uk.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Last edited by LeighW on 8th Feb 2007 12:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1286148th Feb 2007 12:33 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

drivesafe wrote:
BTW there is one more thing to consider, diesel engines require more frequent and more expensive servicing than does the V6, which gives the V6 another cost advantge.

Cheers.

Drivesafe, can you clarify "diesels engines require more frequent and expensive servicing".

As far as I know LRA recommend 6 month or 12K km servicing for the D3. Isn't this across the range regardless of engine type? I don't know about the cost to service, maybe it is different between engine types.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1286158th Feb 2007 12:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >