Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Africa

Various MY's (Model years for ppl like me)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
df

Various MY's (Model years for ppl like me)

Can't afford or justify the price of a new one so have been looking second hand, from what I've gathered there were quite a few enhancements and bugs sorted out from 05 to 06. Dunno about after that.

Should I get a 2005 with low mileage or a slightly higher 06? Could the "issues" be sorted out under warranty thereby allowing me to "have" in effect a 2006+, provided I extend the warranty another two years on the 05?

PS At idle does your TD vibrate the car a bit?

Not OT as I'm the OP Whistle , apart from a serious lack of space in the VW, why this car over a Touareg with air sus? I don't have kids yet so could / am looking at the VW.

I like the ability to hold "heights".

I am planning on regular overland trips. Bots, Nam.

Post #31553929th Jun 2008 7:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

TD????

Post #31554129th Jun 2008 7:34 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Touareg????
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #31555829th Jun 2008 9:24 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Various MY's (Model years for ppl like me)

2006 should all be completely sorted as of 2 years ago. Don't be scared of them and enjoy the money you save.....saying that, I would prefer a mid-late 2006 if I could be picky....don't get too worried of higher mileages either if the service history looks good (look for posts on here by a user called character)

df wrote:

I am planning on regular overland trips. Bots, Nam.

I think you've just answered your own question....The Touareg air suspension is nothing like the D3 air suspension which is built to make it work off-road, not just make it comfy on the motorway.

I was joking in my last post....the Touareg is actually much better than most people give it credit for. It's well put together, rides ok and will get further than most other off-road lookalikes.....

Think of the Touareg as a big family car first, a 4x4 later. When you've got that straight....the D3 is the opposite....A 4x4 first, big family car later. Saying this, in my opinion, the D3 will hammer the Touareg on both counts in my opinion (if we're comparing the V6 diesel-engined versions of course...) Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #31556429th Jun 2008 9:32 pm
df

What an enthusiastic bunch Razz

TD = Turbo Diesel

Touareg - Yip drives lovely and services are quoted at 20-30% (not less 20%) than that of what LR quoted me...

In SA, I've only found negative comments on the LR's. "Stay away", "Not reliable", "Gave him 2 cars and both overheated, whilst towing" blablabla. I had a dud car before and I'd hate to repeat the process Rolling Eyes

Everytime I google "Disco 3 reliable" etc I get some haveyoursay website bashing Disco 3's. I've seen and tried it offroad and for most the part overlanding is not serious 4x4ing, ground clearance being a priority and here the Disco 3 appears to lose out vs the Touareg esp with what we call "middle mannetjies" - high islands under the car's belly? (Surely someone has by now got a software hack?). I think that hack would be money better spent than chipping the car?

Any replies on feeling the engine at idle or using the warranty to "upgrade"?

I also asked a rep about the MY07 injector upgrade - having read about great consumption figures with the new injectors, I was told it was merely a pin and did nothing to fuel consump or power? Then why the pin, and like above could I "upgrade"?

Whilst I like to see a manufacturer upgrade their models each year, it bothers me when they change mechanical items as it makes you wonder why...and what if you don't have that item...

Post #31561429th Jun 2008 11:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >