Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

vehicle Recovery Rope?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
BN

England 

Guys, HSE can become involved in anything out of the ordinary if someone is hurt. May I suggest that as we have no highly qualified experts on winching on the site at the moment we look to get some proper guidelines on equipment. My quals are a little military and certainly commercial which does not apply to £40k motors and families on social events. Litigation is all too easy now and I am not going to give advice myself unless it is very basic and would suggest we seek guidance on this subject. Kenetic energy, foot pounds and stress are at this point not required. Safety comes before anything and that means training.

Post #1830920th Sep 2005 2:25 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I was intending on doing the LRE winching and recovery course, anyone else up for it? It would make sense for a few of us the have a vague idea of what we're doing in the need arises when we're in the thick of things!

Si
 The End  
Post #1836020th Sep 2005 4:07 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
I was intending on doing the LRE winching and recovery course, anyone else up for it? It would make sense for a few of us the have a vague idea of what we're doing in the need arises when we're in the thick of things!

Si
yup, but I think you need to do the LR level 1 & 2 first... more expense Rolling Eyes  
Post #1836420th Sep 2005 4:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

L1 done, was thinking of taking a few days off and doing L2 and Winching all in one hit, won't be cheap but what the heck!
 The End  
Post #1836920th Sep 2005 4:19 pm
10forcash

Slimer wrote:
L1 done, was thinking of taking a few days off and doing L2 and Winching all in one hit, won't be cheap but what the heck!

well if you can hold on till i've done my Level 1, we could empty a hotel bar again Wink

Post #1837120th Sep 2005 4:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a good challenge Very Happy
 The End  
Post #1837320th Sep 2005 4:22 pm
10forcash

Slimer wrote:
Sounds like a good challenge Very Happy
The LRE guys might have to winch us out of the bar Laughing Laughing Laughing now THAT would be a challenge Wink  
Post #1837520th Sep 2005 4:24 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have sat and read this thread and said very little as I feel recovery is an art that cannot be told over a forum, as much as anyone can help pick the right kit no one on a forum can show or tell you how to use it properly. I have seen Kinetic recoverys done in conditions that scare the crap out of me and with kit I would have thrown away years ago, I have seen winch recovery that if ever that cable snapped it would have taken the legs off at least 10 people all of this due to improper use of the equipment. Brian mentions the cost of our vehicles as much as it is a large expense I would prefer you all to think of one thing what value do you put on your life I bet it is far more than the 40k your D3 cost.

As for laning if at anytime you feel you will get stuck by travelling a lane if at all possible dont go down it and turn around, if you have passed the point of no return (No 10 FC not that point of no return Laughing ) then stop your vehicle walk to see what is needed and if possible get someone to spot your path as you travel. Please remember that Laning in this country is under scrutiny never give them any ammo to use our hobby against us and at all times please make sure your convoy is never bigger than 4/5 vehicles

Post #1866520th Sep 2005 10:47 pm
BN

England 

I have said about safety above as Scorpio reiterates and I mentioned families may be at risk. A gentle drive along a green lane may be fine, but without the right skills it can be a desaster.

To cover the courses for marshalling, winching, level 1 and level 2 and map reading is going to take about 7 days and around £1000 with LRE. The courses LRE do are not industry standard, but recreational. RoSPA courses I believe are recognised if you can get on one and the price may be double, but they do not do the driving only winching. To make any of them really worthwhile you need other qualifications with them, such as ADI and fleet trainer qualifications.

Post #1867420th Sep 2005 11:18 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Guys, why not buy a £800 range rover v8 or a series 3 for £1,000 or a 90 for £2,000 or a Defender Tdi for about £5,000. Then join your local Land Rover owners club. They will show you what to do. You will soon be tempted to buy lots of toys for your play thing (starting with recovery ropes and steering guards and ending with roll cages, diff locks, front & rear winches etc etc etc). You can learn everything you need to know about off roading, recovery and navigation without living in terror that you are going to damage your expensive Disco 3 and possibly not be able to drive to work the next day. You will meet lots of great guys and girls, real enthusiasts and some very skilled drivers / mechanics / navigators etc.

If anyone wants to get straight into the deep end in that game, I am currently selling my Defender 300tdi which is a very high spec offroad challenge vehicle. Briefly, it has Warn winches front & rear, full roll cage, rear ARB diff lock, snorkel, rock sliders, optimas, spots, simex's, etc etc etc. Ring me on 07774 499589 if interested. It will be competing in The Bulldog event this weekend at Drumclog (near Glasgow) but ready to go after that.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #1868821st Sep 2005 8:28 am
BN

England 

Smarticus wrote:
Guys, why not buy a £800 range rover v8 or a series 3 for £1,000 or a 90 for £2,000 or a Defender Tdi for about £5,000. Then join your local Land Rover owners club. They will show you what to do. You will soon be tempted to buy lots of toys for your play thing (starting with recovery ropes and steering guards and ending with roll cages, diff locks, front & rear winches etc etc etc). You can learn everything you need to know about off roading, recovery and navigation without living in terror that you are going to damage your expensive Disco 3 and possibly not be able to drive to work the next day. You will meet lots of great guys and girls, real enthusiasts and some very skilled drivers / mechanics / navigators etc.

If anyone wants to get straight into the deep end in that game, I am currently selling my Defender 300tdi which is a very high spec offroad challenge vehicle. Briefly, it has Warn winches front & rear, full roll cage, rear ARB diff lock, snorkel, rock sliders, optimas, spots, simex's, etc etc etc. Ring me on 07774 499589 if interested. It will be competing in The Bulldog event this weekend at Drumclog (near Glasgow) but ready to go after that.

Smarticus, brilliant, but you see we are now woosses and it is soooooo comfy in a D3 off roading that a TDi boneshaker no longer appeals. Actually some have never sat in one in fact.

Post #1869121st Sep 2005 8:41 am
Pelyma

England 

I'd considered this route, but space and ultimately time to maintain such a vehicle preclude it.

Scorpio in my limited knowledge is spot on about all the dangers, look at the LR guys that took Clarkson up the mountain, no gloves standing between the ground anchor and the car etc .It doesn't bear thinking about. I also think Scorpio is right if you think you are going to get stuck then don't drive that lane. I seem to recall a few years ago one of the LROI blokes slid his disco off the side of an inocuous track. I have also seen cars and 4x4s (including a brand new RR) almost rolled on farm tracks.

What I want to learn is how to drive these types of tracks and how to help if something dire does happen. I don't want winching just how to help with the usual sort of kit.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1869321st Sep 2005 9:02 am
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
I'd considered this route, but space and ultimately time to maintain such a vehicle preclude it.

Scorpio in my limited knowledge is spot on about all the dangers, look at the LR guys that took Clarkson up the mountain, no gloves standing between the ground anchor and the car etc .It doesn't bear thinking about. I also think Scorpio is right if you think you are going to get stuck then don't drive that lane. I seem to recall a few years ago one of the LROI blokes slid his disco off the side of an inocuous track. I have also seen cars and 4x4s (including a brand new RR) almost rolled on farm tracks.

What I want to learn is how to drive these types of tracks and how to help if something dire does happen. I don't want winching just how to help with the usual sort of kit.

Pelyma, that is exactly what a fun trip is about, no hassle. To talk about winching is getting too serious for a D3 family outing.

Post #1869721st Sep 2005 9:24 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

a stupid question probably:
can a kinetic rope be used as a normal tow rope?

Post #11915912th Jan 2007 6:28 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

captain_sugar wrote:
a stupid question probably:
can a kinetic rope be used as a normal tow rope?

If thats all you have then... yes. But I have never tried it.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #11922212th Jan 2007 9:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >