Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

VGA into Nav screen possible?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
VGA into Nav screen possible?

Lost the plot on this one - have read countless threads but they all seem to point to hugely expensive bits of kit from foreign shores, with no support available. So, a bit of googling later and I turn this up:

http://sewelldirect.com/VGA-to-Component-Video-Converter.asp

Would this be able to provide a signal to the nav screen? I already have a dooberry that will provide touch-screen signals from the nav screen to a USB port (thanks to an earlier wiggs thread). That an a 4-way relay (again, thank you wiggs) and I could have my pc available on the nav screen at the push of a button, provided I can sort out getting the video signal to the screen.

Anyone?

EDIT: also found this one:

http://sewelldirect.com/PC-to-TV-Converter.asp

EDIT again Rolling Eyes

Useful article on the types of VGA conversion http://www.sewellsupport.com/archives/pc-to-tv-screenshots
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4923807th Jul 2009 5:01 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I looked into this but gave up in the end.

The sat nav screen has only a limited range of frequencies of input signal, and none that I could make my vga card produce. All other options, as you say, required expensive bits of kit to convert the signal.

Anyone want to buy a 4 pole relay doobrey that switches the satnav touchscreen signal? Whistle

Post #4924197th Jul 2009 5:54 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yet there are people happily running £25 DVB tuners direct into the screen Confused Confused Confused Big Cry
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4924247th Jul 2009 6:00 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Keep searching the site I am sure someone managed to hack into the screen. Try wiggs.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #4924487th Jul 2009 6:48 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Perhaps I should moderate my response. It is possible to get computer output onto the satnav screen, but only through a composite converter, which for a computer signal is not good enough (IMHO). Text unreadable etc. You can get away with much worse quality for moving pictures e.g TV.

Post #4924497th Jul 2009 6:50 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Yeah, Wiggs seemed to have the same problem from what I can make out. He got a signal there, but not good enough to run memory map or read text. Looks like the stupidly expensive GVIF converters are the only option, but for that money you can get a decent Lilliput screen and change for some beers.
Post #4924977th Jul 2009 8:34 pm
kastone

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Forget about that. I connect my Car PC which comes with Composite Video to the Land Rovers Screen via a QDIS GVIF Box. At 800 * 600 Pixels the image quality is really poor because the bandwidth of Composite Video is not big enough for such a resolution.

I did not try it with 640 * 480 because my motherboard does not support that resolution. I think this is the highest acceptable resolution for composite video. But then the QDIS box will scale the image up to 800 by 600 pixels which reduces the quality.

The best solution would be a converter from 800x600 VGA to GVIF which is used by Land Rover. But i never found a box which supports that.
 Klaus Nahr - discovery3.de
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 

Post #49727718th Jul 2009 6:59 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Being completely ignorant of such things, what has this chap done?

video to touchscreen
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #49753420th Jul 2009 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just a silly question but is there a touch screen that can be fitted where the LR one is for non satnav cars, was thinking to run from carpooter thingamibob??? Question Question

Post #49753520th Jul 2009 7:43 am
kastone

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

There is an image on http://www.blacklandy.de/blboard/forum/sho...amp;page=2

Klaus
 Klaus Nahr - discovery3.de
Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE 

Post #49754620th Jul 2009 9:06 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

There are a few posts on here where people have put a normal VGA touchscreen in the cubby hole, but as to specific models I'm not sure.

Spotter, the chap there has taken a composite signal to the screen. My netbook doesn't have composite out, just VGA.

The more I look at it, the more I come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort/cost to use the LR Nav Screen. Size and resolution issues are to the major factors here.

I'll keep reviewing this, as there are other benefits to using that screen, but they aren't great enough to warrant the time and effort for my current planned use of the netbook.
Post #49754720th Jul 2009 9:07 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Because you can get them for £20 off ebay... I'm going to give the vga-composite converter a go. If it's good enough to see what centrafuse is doing, then it's worth it.

Post #49757920th Jul 2009 10:42 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a small laptop or netbook and mount it properly? Much bigger/better screen, more capability and you could use it outside the car as well... or am I missing something here?
Rolling Eyes
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #49758020th Jul 2009 10:42 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I was looking at a hybrid system, using a netbook in the top glovebox via the touchscreen when in the car, then pop it out and take it with me when not in the car. I've already got the touchscreen to USB doo-dah so the missing link was decent quality video combined with decent usablity.

VGA-Composite is ok(ish), but you have to cock around with the diagnostic screen every time you want to switch views. That's why the QDIS unit looked promising as it has a remote to switch various inputs at a single press.

Be interested to see how a netbook looks on the touchscreen with one of the cheapy converters Thumbs Up
Post #49758920th Jul 2009 11:02 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I bought this Qdis one from anthony604266;

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic36540.html

I'm going to play around with the RGB input with some pluggable VGA cables and the nav screen to see what the output is like, I'll come back with any findings.... probably none then Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #49760420th Jul 2009 11:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >