Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

My view after the test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
My view after the test drive

Went for a test drive in a D4 today. First impressions were thats its very nice.

The engine is very smooth, but I have to say it wasnt any quicker or felt any more powerful than a remapped TDV6.

the one i tested had keyless start. all very good but i could see my self loosing the keys somewhere.

It also seemed smaller inside ie the width across the two front doors. i'm not sure if it is because the centre dashboard protrudes into the front seat space more than the D3 so it appears smaller

The cameras were interesting but i'm not sure how funtional they are. seems more of a gadget than something i would actually use.

the dash was softtouch, but i found a few places where i could screw light swtiches etc.

handling was better on some of the tighter corners but seemed a little harsher ride than the D3

my overall opinion : Im really not sure Confused

When I got into the D3 3 years ago for a test drive it immedeatly grabbed me and I thought, yep this is great, i could live in this. The D4 is different and I didnt get that feeling - its more of a RRSport feeling.... and i hated that when i test drove it 3 years ago Confused
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Last edited by DiscoDunc on 1st Oct 2009 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5281781st Oct 2009 6:41 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: My view after the test drive

DiscoDunc wrote:
When I got into the D3 3 years ago for a test drive it immedeatly grabbed me and I thought, yep this is great,...

The step from Td5 to D3 I had = awesome. D4... not so much. Lovely car though.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #5281821st Oct 2009 6:45 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had a E class merc at the time, but the D3 seemed perfect. I always find it very difficult to choose a new car. The D3 was the only car i have got into and within a few seconds felt, yes, i want one of these.....
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5281831st Oct 2009 6:48 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I also went from an E class to the D3, and the change was fantastic - it'll be difficult for any car to recreate that excitement again. Don't think the D4 does it for me...
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #5281901st Oct 2009 6:55 pm
mzplcg

England 

And I too went from an E class to the D3. Best day's work I ever did !!

D4 though. I need to get over the feeling that it's a bit prissy. Once I do I reckon I'll buy one. Thumbs Up

Post #5281931st Oct 2009 6:57 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'll probably get one. I was put off by the D3 originally - I preferred the look of the Td5 - but now I wouldn't change it!
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #5281951st Oct 2009 6:59 pm
shopbobby

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

The D3 was also a instant sell, I got in and thought I want one, I actually spoke to the salesman and said Your are obviously employed to sell Freelanders because D3's sell themselves....
 RLD Sump Guard & Spare Wheel Protector, 19 GoodYear Wrangler, 17in Maxxis Bighorns
Torq Tune 

Post #5281961st Oct 2009 7:01 pm
NJF

I've just taken a 90 minute test drive in a fully-loaded D4 HSE. I was very surprised to find that I preferred the D3. The D4 doesn't ride so well on 20" wheels and it's lost the magic carpet ride. I felt bumps in the road in a way that I never have with the D3. I thought that the engine and gearbox were not very well matched, with some lumpy changes and more frequent shifts than the D3, which left me feeling as if the car wasn't as composed as it could be. There is, however, much more progressive power from the engine, which can be fun.

I also decided that the LCD screen in the instrument binnacle is grainy and I found the digital display of km/h very irritating. I would certainly want to switch it to show something else. And my back hurts from the seat, although that might be that I didn't find a setting that suited me. And I don't like the night lighting that's built into the interior door handles; it's too bright and white. And the centre dash creaked ever so quietly in a way that eventually became the only noise in the cabin. I very much liked the new satnav, though.

I have the car until tomorrow lunchtime so I will take it for another drive in the morning.

Not quite what I was expecting. Confused The decision to buy one is not the sure thing I thought it would be. Shocked

Post #5282471st Oct 2009 8:15 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

NJF wrote:
I thought that the engine and gearbox were not very well matched, with some lumpy changes and more frequent shifts than the D3, which left me feeling as if the car wasn't as composed as it could be

I've found quite the reverse - first decent run today, and crossing the Oxfordshire Ridgeway on the A34 (fast dual carriageway), I found that even at 60 it wasn't dropping out of 6th, when the D3 definitely would have done. Similarly went through the 50mph stretch for the M4 roadworks at Reading still in top, running along quite happily at about 1400 rpm.

I'm sure someone here knows these things, but I've always interpreted the auto box "clutch lock up" as being when the rev counter stays steady as you ease on and off the gas - when not locked up, the converter slips and the revs will shift around without the speed changing. I reckoned this occurred somewhere around 1900-2000rpm in the D3. I know they've been able to make the lockup happen earlier in the D4, but I hadn't realised till today how much earlier - seemed to still be locked up below 1500 rpm. Can that be right?

Post #5282771st Oct 2009 8:56 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I thought the D4 was a little saccharine, until I venture into sport mode. OMFG Shocked

Chalk and cheese. In standard box, the D4 is a smoother version of the D3. In sport mode it's bloody awesome. Took it down some B roads and then swung it 720 around a roundabout to see where the limits where. Unlike the D3, that can understeer like a bitch when pushed and is all too keen to put the DSC into play, the D4 in sport mode will tuck in and power through from the rear wheels. Body roll also substantially reduced. I can see myself getting some speeding tickets in one.

Would I find the £20k needed to make the swap?

Would I Censored

Too "city" in appearance and I'd be scared of slinging the dog in the back in case some hair got on the seats. A bit too precious for me.

Verdict: Grabs the badger by the dangles, but the full ham's only there when you felch the strawberries. Minty.

NJF, remember it's an adaptive box, so if the previous driver didn't drive like you, or it's brand new, it will change gear like a lumpen lass from hartlepool changes her scrannies; infrequently, and with a thud.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5283141st Oct 2009 9:36 pm
DiscoStu

England 

NoDo$h wrote:
Verdict: Grabs the badger by the dangles, but the full ham's only there when you felch the strawberries. Minty.

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #5283281st Oct 2009 9:43 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Can't beat a bit of Carcoat Damphands. All hail SniffPetrol Bow down
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5283321st Oct 2009 9:47 pm
jkp

Scotland 

ND that has to be the quote of the month Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #5283451st Oct 2009 10:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ND U been sniffing the chainsaw fuel?? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #5283471st Oct 2009 10:02 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

If only. This week, oi has been mostly drinkin' Rioja Thumbs Up
Post #5283531st Oct 2009 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >