Vive la difference
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Headlamp covers

will they fit with the headlamp guards on Question
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #2736210th Nov 2005 9:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I was wondering myself, how much of a gap is there between the guards and the lights?
 The End  
Post #2736310th Nov 2005 9:56 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Lamp guards

just had a look not much at all would have try if you have not got the guard put on the covers first then the guards then they may fit.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #2736410th Nov 2005 10:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Was about to wash my D3 and fit them but it's going to rain any minute so I proped one in place and took a few photos

The End  
Post #2753511th Nov 2005 5:15 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

how are these held in place ?

the aussie spec ones have the screw on the top of the cover (in the centre)

hmmmm ....
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #2784414th Nov 2005 2:01 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

bashir wrote:

hmmmm ....

To the Aussies,

I just picked up my set of headlamp covers for AUD$93 (Made In Australia). I am very disappointed at the fit. The cover does not sit and touch the light on the sides where the little clear bumps are attached. The cover basically sits about 10mm off the light and could easily get caught on a bush and ripped off when reversing.

What is making the cover sit off the light is the metal clip which fastens the cover at the top. The plastic holder for the brass screw makes the cover sit up about 5-8mm off the light and this makes the cover then sit far off the light around the perimeter. In my opinion the cover needs more curvature molded in the centre to account for the metal clip/screw.

What have others found with the fitment?

Thanks

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2784514th Nov 2005 2:18 am
bashir

the ones Slimer has look to be similar to the Disco II (with the square lights) - it looks like they just push on and clip in - not like the aussie ones.
but i guess i'll wait for Slimer to confirm.

my wife likes the headlamp guards, but i think these protectors will do a better job ....

(what options?!) 

Post #2784614th Nov 2005 2:32 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

bashir wrote:
the ones Slimer has look to be similar to the Disco II (with the square lights) - it looks like they just push on and clip in - not like the aussie ones.
but i guess i'll wait for Slimer to confirm.

my wife likes the headlamp guards, but i think these protectors will do a better job ....

Bashir,

Do yours fit well?

Thanks

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2785114th Nov 2005 6:51 am
bashir

haven't bought them yet ... waiting to see the verdict ... Confused

(what options?!) 

Post #2785214th Nov 2005 7:14 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

bashir wrote:

hmmmm ....

Same as the Aussie ones, there's a small bracket that screws to the top, it's on propped in place in the photos above, not fitted properly. They're the same ones just branded EGR instead of LR

I'm of the same opinion as Chris about the fit. They do not fit closely at the top, would be better with a bracket each side rather than one in the middle to hold them on securely. Worse thing is (I think) there is a gap at the top which means every time it rains or I wash it the water is going to run down between the light and cover and I'll have to remove them to dry it otherwise the water will sit at bottom and it'll end up with water residue on the headlight and back of the cover. It would be much better if it came up higher and the top was covered by the bonnet. I don't think they're going to end up staying on there for long

Si
 The End  
Post #2786414th Nov 2005 10:15 am
BN

England 

I think a lot of these headlamp protectors hold water and moisture. They also reduce light output a lot. The way they are formed also distorts the light as they are never optically correct like a proper headlight front. The D3 front clips on, it is a shame they are not simply replaceable, which would be better.

Post #2787114th Nov 2005 10:27 am
photothames

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

One question /query I have about these light covers, is that in the UK I believe with Xeon head lights you must have headlight washers. With the head light cover on you could as Slimer indicated get muck between the light and lens cover will this cause any detrimental effect?
What is the thinking behind having to have headlight washers with Xeon headlight anyway?
 Andy - 2006 HSE TDV6  
Post #2790414th Nov 2005 2:19 pm
BN

England 

photothames wrote:
One question /query I have about these light covers, is that in the UK I believe with Xeon head lights you must have headlight washers. With the head light cover on you could as Slimer indicated get muck between the light and lens cover will this cause any detrimental effect?
What is the thinking behind having to have headlight washers with Xeon headlight anyway?

Interesting point, not heard that one before. Must look into the answer?

Post #2790614th Nov 2005 2:52 pm
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:

Same as the Aussie ones, there's a small bracket that screws to the top, it's on propped in place in the photos above, not fitted properly. They're the same ones just branded EGR instead of LR

I'm of the same opinion as Chris about the fit. They do not fit closely at the top, would be better with a bracket each side rather than one in the middle to hold them on securely. Worse thing is (I think) there is a gap at the top which means every time it rains or I wash it the water is going to run down between the light and cover and I'll have to remove them to dry it otherwise the water will sit at bottom and it'll end up with water residue on the headlight and back of the cover. It would be much better if it came up higher and the top was covered by the bonnet. I don't think they're going to end up staying on there for long

Si

So may they arrive on eBay at some point Smile Dom might buy them for his collection of D3 memorabilia Wink
 Jim  
Post #2792814th Nov 2005 6:13 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
bashir wrote:

hmmmm ....

Si
think they'd manage a week? Wink  
Post #2796814th Nov 2005 8:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >