Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Volume control on steering wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Volume control on steering wheel

The volume control on the steering wheel is a bit temperamental, it is fine to turn it up but to turn it down, sometimes I really have to push hard to make it work.

Do you think a new switch is in order

Could I replace this myself?

Any idea on cost.

Cheers

Post #7120714th Nov 2010 6:24 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's a job that I'd be happy doing myself, as changed the wheel to the smooth leather one last weekend. The wheel and it's controls comes apart really easily, once you've your head around the 'panic about the airbag' issue, which really is okay. I'm sure the buttons are easily changed, perhaps someone with more information will reply soon and let you know.

Post #7120914th Nov 2010 6:54 pm
ticktock

Yes,

Okay,

1. Source your audio steering wheel control from Ebay. It doesn't matter if it's for a FL2, a Disco or a RR. They are all the same. The cost is roughly 15 quid all in.

2. Source an airbag removal tool, again it's generic LR. Ebay has some ones or make your own from a coat hanger. Roughly 100mm long with a 5mm right angled turn up at the end or if you like, a hook.

3. Open the engine compartment. Disconnect the positive feed to the battery. Check all the electrics are off by opening a door or trying to stick a key in. You are doing this to prevent an accidental airbag deployment. LEAVE it 10 mins to ensure any residual electric has dissapated.

4. With the hook bit of your airbay removal tool turned towards you, insert the wire into one of the oblong holes either side of the plastic trim, just under the steering wheel, but before the dash cowel. You will feel a bit of metal, hook it and pull towards you at the same time as the other hand is just levering off the airbay from the steering wheel. Do the same the other side and the airbag is removed. Do not start removing the wires. No need, just place it on the top of the steering wheel, it will stay there.

5. With a torx screwdriver, Halfords sell plenty and reasonably cheaply, go round the back of the righthand side of the steering wheel and unscrew the two retaining screws that hold the right side horn.

6. Once done, the assembly will push towards the centre of the steeringwheel and the two plastic retaining clips disengage.

7. Push the clip down on the electrical connector going into the horn and it will free.

8. Connect the audio steering wheel replacment, just in the reverse fashion to the removal. All I'd add is that the airbag merely requires alligned straight and pushed back into the steering wheel. You'll hear it click in place. Remember to reconnect the battery and viola, your audio will spring into action, fully operational, light up at night etc.

Post #7121324th Nov 2010 7:53 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Think it's always recommended to disconnect the battery negative terminal. If shorting to the chassis or anything metal with the spanner then its the same potential so is okay; undoing the positive first and touching earth... Shocked

Post #7121384th Nov 2010 8:04 pm
ticktock

True, I am assuming people are carefull and dont touch things when undoing the positive terminal, but then the same thing could happen even if you disconected the negative terminal first.

Post #7121394th Nov 2010 8:07 pm
geoff.

England 

john

where abouts in kent are you i ask because it might not be the switch it might be the clock spring , but i have spare switches that i know work so if your not to far you could always try one Whistle

geoff

Post #7121634th Nov 2010 8:59 pm
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Geoff, that would be great, I am in West Wickham which is near Bromley.

cheers

Post #7121854th Nov 2010 9:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >