DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Want to upgrade from a Toyota - please help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SGK

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Want to upgrade from a Toyota - please help

Hi there,
am currently driving a Toyota and want to switch to the Discovery 3. Do some 4WDing but also use car as family people mover (3 kids and those Censored have friends, too).

I am looking at either a new 2006 model or used 2005. However I would appreciate some advice on the following questions:

1: Center Dif lock: D3 in Australia is no longer supplied with center dif lock - i.e. it must be ordered specially. Apparently no one really buys it in Australia.
I noticed on a forum where someone commented that he tried 4Wding it with and without center dif lock, but noticed no real improvement when it was on. Is it worth waiting to order one with lock or not really worth bothering? Any info especially from those having used the Disco 3 off road WITHOUT the lock would be greatly appreciated.

2: Manual - Can't get a manual in Australia anymore. Does anyone have experience with fuel consumption on manual Discovery 3s ? My Prado Automatic uses just under 13 liters on average - I'd love to use less than 10 liters (less than many small cars). Would give me a great feel good factor. Any idea why the Auto Disco 3 uses so much more fuel compared to the manual (almost 2 liters extra in city)? Are the manuals hard to use?

3: With all the problems of the early models - is it better to get a 2006?

Lots of questions, I know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyway I am off to the Dealer for a 2nd test drive and to do some more ogling Smile

My first test drive blew me totally away - this is no longer about IF i should get it - just which bits mine should have!

Smile
 Prado Grande --> D3 --> D4 ... its getting better all the time Smile  
Post #6299010th Jun 2006 12:30 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

They all have a centre diff lock, its electronic and fully automatic. There is an optional rear diff lock. It makes a difference if the going is very tough. Mine does not have it, and I have never got stuck yet. I do go off the road a fair bit.

The manuals are more economical, but it is a very heavy car. I gat 25mpg out of my auto TDV6.

Get the best spec you can afford.

Post #6299110th Jun 2006 12:40 am
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I drive more city (approx 90%) than highway driving and with my TDV6 I get around 11.5L / 100kms in Sydney.
For such a heavy car, I think that's around a good mark - especially since I have a heavier foot sometimes Wink

Gareth has answered your question for the diff lock.
And I agree with Gareth on the spec also.

Enjoy the D3 when you get it ... you'll no longer drive any other 4wd ... Very Happy
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #6299710th Jun 2006 2:22 am
irobbie

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Check this thread for more on the economy of the D3. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4611

Also the June 2006 issue of Australian 4WD monthly carries a test of an auto D3 and an auto Jeep and both achieved an overall consumption of approx. 14.4 L/100km over a very tough course of some 2570km of some tough outback roads. However, on the way out to Bourke they both achieved a staggering 8.70L/100km without even trying! And fully laden! Smile

So perhaps you can expect to achieve better than 10L/100km on certain trips - even with the auto box. Smile Smile Very Happy

Post #6299810th Jun 2006 3:34 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

The HD version (Heavy Duty) provides the optional rear differential electronic locker. It's an inexpensive option that is good to have if you can find it. However, it's fairly rare. I off road frequently and I have been in lots of two wheel situations and have not needed it. However, I don't drive in wet slippery muddy terrian very often. The locker would be much more benefical in those conditions.

My off road territoriy is rocky, bumpy, gravelly, sandy, dirt, dusty desert terrian. Not a lot of mud, very little rain!

Trail photos:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=18

As for the 2005 vs 2006 model. You will get more bells and whistles for your money with a used 2005. As for reliablity and maintainence features, you might see slight improvement in 2006 model, but I doubt it. The good news is that most of the problems seem sorted now, and a few trips to your dealer under warrenty will clean most if not all of them up for you.

I almost bought a Toyota, and it's a wonderfuly reliable vehicle, but my Land Rover came with a Community and 1,000's of miles of trails inviting me to explore them. I love my truck, drive it nearly 100 miles every day on the freeway to work, but off road it nearly every weekend and it loves it and begs for more.

Post #6299910th Jun 2006 5:21 am
Jamo

Australia 

The CDL is standard and can't be driver controlled. The only way to drive without it is to leave the TR in 'normal' mode when off road.

I have the rear diff lock and at $1,000 it is a cheap buy. You can only get it ex-factory and it's worth it!. I've been in some situations where it has pretty well stayed permanently on. And it's a lot cheaper than ARB and similar items.

Because I wanted the rear DL, I waited seven months for my car, though.

BUY A D3!! There have been a few issues, mie have all been resolved, adn they are the best 4WD available by far!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6300210th Jun 2006 6:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGK

Yes, Rear lock dif is what I was referring to. Wasn't quite up when I posted.
Post #6300310th Jun 2006 6:15 am
Vo Rogue

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have the rear diff lock - MY06 TDV6 -. Cuts in very occassionally so might make a marginal difference however the limiting factor for me so far has been lack of bite from the tires. Mind you I have not been rock hopping but the D3's are pretty amazing. It quite happily simply climbed over a fair sized log one day - on an uphill slope - so that saved me cutting the thing and moving it. Razz

Post #6300510th Jun 2006 7:01 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SGK,

I think the Australians are a bit lazy and prefer autos (me included).

I'd say most D3's will spend most time on the road and for the hassle of driving the manual most will go an auto since there is no cost diff.

Apart from the odd early problem (of wich I had a few) the D3 eats up the Prado for space (real 7 adults), current diesel technology and 4WD ability.

You cannot go wrong with a D3.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #6304810th Jun 2006 11:17 pm
SGK

It's finally here. Arrived at the dealer yesterday and ready for pick-up next week. Very Happy
Now which tires to get ...
And which roofrack ...
and which tint ...

searching the forum Smile
Smile
sgk
Post #8011123rd Aug 2006 9:25 am
Jamo

Australia 

Congratulations! Thumbs Up
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #8011523rd Aug 2006 9:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Congratulations SGK. It is worth the wait. Thumbs Up

Post #8030023rd Aug 2006 10:56 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

SGK
no real justification for the manual anymore. the auto box locks in gear and gives you full engine braking until you touch the accelerator.
auto also means no loss of turbo boost on gear changes. fuel consumption figures are very close and depends on how you drive.
I found the D3 was much better value than a 100 series cruiser, i think Toyota are having a lend of me charging the same amount for 15 yr old technology Surprised Evil or Very Mad
look at all your options and be logical beware of becoming emotionally involved in choice. (at least until after you have got your D3) then its "permagrin" Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #8031524th Aug 2006 12:54 am
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
I Like the Title of this Thread....

I Like the Title of this Thread!

Buy a Kia, thats an upgrade from a Toyota Laughing
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #8031624th Aug 2006 1:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: