Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Warning Light Woes - The continuing saga!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mac 53

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Warning Light Woes - The continuing saga!!

Crying or Very sad My first post as a new Discovery owner was on 14th May - thanks for the really helpful replies. Tried the low batery route - no luck. Just got it back from the dealers (for a second time) last night and despite a software update the problem is still there. Originally it was showing suspension fault, ABS fault, warning symbols and HDC fault. The upgrade seems to have eliminated the suspension light but the others are still there. Pentland checked the compressor, the software (upgraded) and said that it was showing on the system as a 'communications' error that should be fixed via the software.

I was off road in May for a week's fishing in the Scottish Highlands. The faults occured a couple of times but switching off and restarting clears the problem. I was getting the odd single 'chime' and it did seem to coincide with crossing deep pools and/or streams. Could this be connected?

On a more positive note the vehicle performed brilliantly on the hills. I've used a Grand Cherokee over the last few years and although it was capable the Disco seemed to take the very steep ascents over wet gravel and polished stone with absolute ease. The third row cup holders do an excellent job of holding the bottles of malt whisky and the storage compartments can safely hold six crystal glasses!! Thanks guys!

Post #16813519th Jun 2007 9:05 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Could well be water ingress to a wheel speed sensor, the symptoms you describe indicate a 'cascaded' fault caused by missing wheel speed messages from the brake controller. as it isn't a 'hard' fault, DTC's may not be stored

Post #16818319th Jun 2007 12:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mepore

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mentioned before but just check none of the brake bulbs has blown. This can short out the circuit and fool the genius computer into thinking the brakes are stuck on and it decides to throw every warning it can think of at it.

Post #16931321st Jun 2007 6:31 pm
mac 53

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mepore, 10 for Cash,

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll have a look at the weekend. Have booked in with Pentland for the third time after my hols and keeping fingers crossed.

I just wish automotive electrical and electronic engineering was up the same operating reliability standards as other areas of their use. Vehicle components are subject to more stress than your typical TV or tumble drier, but they should be designed to operate in the envoronment for which they are intended. It's not just LR that are failing in this area - I've had similar problems with Audi and BMW over the years. If I can't get this sorted out this time, I'm going back to a Saab 96 - I can remember the days when I thought a low fuel warning light was really cool!!

"Ah well, Nostalgia is not what it used to be!"

Post #16965722nd Jun 2007 8:44 am
ianc

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Do you have an active rear diff? After 6 months fighting with dealer and finance company dealer finally replaced my diff and the spurious warning lights haven't occured since.

Post #18991016th Aug 2007 9:16 am
bam55

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi mac 53,

Agree with ianc : I also have an active rear diff and had the same problem several times during more than a year Crying or Very sad - finally (after presenting them information I got from this website) LR agreed to replace the rear diff, now 8 months ago, and from then I never encoutered the problem once !!! Very Happy

Post #24758518th Jan 2008 11:48 pm
Mr.Hamster

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hello!

We experienced this as well while driving on the some what 'harsh' roads in the out back of Australia, to tell you the truth it is perfectly normal, we had the exact same lights, we also where told before hand by one of the Land Rover service guys that it was known for happening as such the Disco 3 is such a sensitive car.

There where two steps to fixing the issue. Stopping, Turning the car off and taking the key out, waiting a few seconds and continue driving. He also suggested if the problem was still persisting altering turning the car on, turn of and do a 'hard reset' which involves unplugging the battery terminals etc...

Post #32378520th Jul 2008 11:24 am
dukeofplwmp

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My 05 HSE V8 is doing this. When AA tested it it said no fault found but then it crashed 4 days later when I needed the systems to help. Mine gets hard on road use in rural Wales and some mild off road use. How can I tell if it has active rear diff? It is silver and was owned by LR as first owner. I asked if it had been an experience vehicle but was told no. I suspect it was with the amount of problems I have had with it? Both electrical and engine and water ingress via rear hatch.

Post #60668219th Feb 2010 11:55 pm
kidney wiper

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Exactly what warning lights are illuminating & what error messages are being displayed ?

Post #68736229th Aug 2010 9:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >