Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Warning Message - Help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Normsdisco4

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Warning Message - Help please

When driving my d4 yesterday after about 20 miles a warning came up 'stability control not available drive with care' and 'emergency brake not avalible' anyone got any ideas what would be causing this.

Thanks in advance

Norma

Post #164248018th Apr 2016 5:25 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

disco mickey will probably know..hes in Dundee...probably along soon

Post #164248318th Apr 2016 5:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

never get mickey when you need him

Post #164258818th Apr 2016 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
James W

United Kingdom 

Just limping home now in a lowered D4 with SWMBO driving, these messages have appeared twice now today, clearing on re-start. Will book into the indy tomorrow but any thoughts on any usual suspects?
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #175471528th Dec 2016 5:51 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Made it home safe, but a very wallowing ride which wasn't ideal after a long and mostly liquid lunch Shocked especially with SWMBO driving.

Anyway a little more info. It happened twice, both times after around 15 mins of driving. Battery charging at around 13.5v according to T-Max split charge (not scientific, I know). The 4x4 info screen showed the suspension height at just below normal on all four wheels, but not as low as it goes when in access mode. There was no 'special programs off' warning and (thankfully) no power loss.

Car requested me to select the required suspension height on restart and raised quickly when 'normal' selected. Today was very very cold, and I did notice it was a bit sluggish to start when we originally set off. I've now got it on charge with with the smart charger via the tow socket overnight, as I'm wondering if the battery is possibly on the way out. If it continues as a problem, I assume the fault codes will need to be properly read to see what's triggered the two warnings? (Stability Control and Emergency Brake Assist not available).
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #175473928th Dec 2016 6:39 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

As a closure (hopefully) for this, I thought I'd post the conclusion for me on this, in case anyone else finds this thread via search (as I did). I'm aware it's not my thread but didn't want to start a new one.

So as above, received the two messages simultaneously (Stability Control and Brake Assist), vehicle lowers, wallowy ride. Clears on ignition cycle. Happened to me four times (weirdly on the exact same place on the M53 between J10 & 11)

Due to the cold weather and infrequent use over Xmas, did wonder if low battery although unlikely as this was 20 mins into a good motorway run. Used ctek charge for a couple of days anyway, problem returned.

Diagnostics completed at local indy, turns out steering calibration sensor out by about 18deg. Not detectable when driving, wheel was straight and tracking seemed fine apart from following the usual road camber.

Faults cleared and sensor re-calibrated to 0deg at dead ahead centre on steering wheel. £30+VAT.

Was told it may not necessarily mean an impending sensor failure, although I wasn't left clear on how the sensor lost its calibration in the first place.

See what happens.

James

Post #17571513rd Jan 2017 12:31 pm
raincloud

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

not unknown for them to work loose on the column

Post #17572243rd Jan 2017 2:48 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Interesting - And do you think that would cause an calibration error rather than an out-and-out fault?

Thanks
James

Post #17572393rd Jan 2017 3:16 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi guys, what is probably happening is the plastic bush which drives the steering sensor is starting to move. I'm not sure if it is held on the column shaft by adhesive or friction or whatever. Mine came loose and gave the dreaded bong and special programs off HDC fault suspension lowered etc. I fixed mine in place with sticks like sh&t adhesive, a fellow d3 member came and recalibrated it and it's been fine ever since. Thumbs Up
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #17572443rd Jan 2017 3:21 pm
A1GSS

England 

James W wrote:
...Diagnostics completed at local indy, turns out steering calibration sensor out by about 18deg. Not detectable when driving, wheel was straight and tracking seemed fine apart from following the usual road camber.

Faults cleared and sensor re-calibrated to 0deg at dead ahead centre on steering wheel. £30+VAT....

Good work by the Indy at only £30. (Assuming thus has fixed teh problem of course Laughing )
 ____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey 

Post #17572523rd Jan 2017 3:39 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

I was pleasantly surprised, too. To be fair it only took 15 mins and that included pleasantries and paying.

I'll do some searching to get a pic/location of this sensor, sounds like it warrants a quick check to make sure all is still firmly attached. Thumbs Up

Post #17572713rd Jan 2017 4:19 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Mine came loose, LR dealer put a blob of weld on the shaft so plastic bush was tightened up, OK since.

Post #17572803rd Jan 2017 4:55 pm
Janz1964

France 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Have had 3rd repetition of Restricted Performance, Stability Control not available, Emergency Braking assist not available, suspension lowered for safety, yellow engine light and yellow and red triangles. Once, before the rest of the christmas tree lights occurences, I had Restricted Performance come on only. In all cases, immediate loss of power and hard ride due to suspension lowered. On that occasion and the first Christmas tree light session, switched car off, restarted aftr 15 minutes and OK. After 2nd X-mas lights, switched off, restarted after 15 minutes, still the same. Left it for an hour - all OK. These faults have been happening since about June last year. Today, same x-mas tree session. Luckily just rolling into the drive - it is on a slope. Switched off, restarted - same. Left it 4 hours - same, tried to take it out for a drive, can't get it up the slope! Also, terrain response programs not available, boing noises as I try to use suspension button. Think this time it's cooked!
Irony is, it went in for 7 year Cam and fuel belt service in February at LR main dealer in Tarbes. Surely they should have checked inactive error codes etc? They told me these things 'just happen every now and then'.
Any ideas?
Has anyone else seen this combination of entertainment?
Oh Yes, I am the saddo with the 2.7 Manual Smile and no, not a D3 as my Main LR dealer told me I had with the badge swapped for a D4.... see the VIN... ahhhh learn something new every day Confused

Oh and last car in the signature will also show up as SOLD once this lot is over! Will buy normal car next time like a nice Picasso, or a Duster, or a Partner Tepee... sorry, LRs have me in cynic mode at the moment
 MY10 D4 2.7 TDV6 Manual - the rare one Smile
MY99 Defender 110 CSW TD5 Sold
MY01 D2 TD5 ES Sold
MY99 D2 TD5 XS Sold
MY94 D1 V8 EFI ES Scrapped
MY79 109 S3 2.6 Safari SW Sold
MY72 88 S3 2.25 Rag Top Sold.... Why??????????? 

Post #17995503rd Apr 2017 11:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >