Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Direct won't pay for new OEM part - pursue or not ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nichop

United Kingdom 
Warranty Direct won't pay for new OEM part - pursue or not ?

The Steering rack on my D3 has some play in it, evidenced by considerable knocking coming up through the wheel and confirmed by Rovertune in Reading. I duly speak to Warranty Direct who, despite being very rude, said they wouldnt pay for a new rack from LR (at approx £650) but I'd have to buy from elsewhere. They then provided a number for a company they regularly use. Speaking to this company it turns out they do reconditioned racks, albeit with a 12 month warranty.

I'm now unsure whether to pursue them for a new part or just go the no hassle route (apart from being without my car for 3 days while the rack is being reconditioned!).

Any comments/suggestions on how I should approach this gratefully received.

Nick

Post #69839329th Sep 2010 11:26 pm
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Hi,
I would suggest you read the terms of the warranty & see what it says. If it says they have the option to repair/recondition parts, then that's what you have to put up with.
So......they agree to a hire car for three days while they recondition your rack ? Wink

If nothing is stated, then pursue them for the Genuine Landrover rack.

Regards
Steve

Post #69841630th Sep 2010 6:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
goodfella

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did you specify main dealer repairs when you took out the warranty as oppose to their network of approved repairers? If so you should be able to press your point successfully.
 Badda bing.......How you doin'?

Java black SE, standard spec. Clean and shiny.

Club TFC - Off Road Essentials
Club Tesco Finest Warranty
Club G4 Stickers even though it's not a G4
Club Rhino Rack 

Post #69842430th Sep 2010 7:42 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Even on their top policy it states :

WD Policy Document wrote:
3. Repair authorisation
You must get provisional authorisation and an
authorisation number from us before any repairs are
started. The claim will be reassessed again upon
receipt of the necessary paperwork after the work has
been completed.We use governing body repair time
guidelines which are used throughout the motor
industry for all claims.We may want to repair or
recondition certain items if it is deemed appropriate.
We reserve the right to require your repairer to use
parts we source either new, reconditioned or service
exchange parts and to supply such parts to your
repairer directly.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 30th Sep 2010 8:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #69842530th Sep 2010 7:57 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

My Car failed its MOT week - front to rear brake pipes corroded and excess play in OSF and NSF lower suspension arms rear bushes.

Put a claim in with WD as I have their 'Luxury car' cover that covers wear and tear.

They agreed to pay for control arms but not the brake pipes. Fair enough I thought. At least it will soften the blow to my plastic friend.

Because of the mileage my car has done (82K), I have to pay 30% of the cost of the spares. Again, fair enough. However, the policy carries a £50 excess and WD have decided to treat the claim as 2 claims (1 per control arm) so that they can apply the excess to each one Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Robbing Censored Censored Censored bas Censored ds Twisted Evil Twisted Evil !

I've complained as part of the claim submission and asked them to reconsider. I'll write to their boss if they still insist on treating it as 2 claims!
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #69842830th Sep 2010 8:03 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

These policies really need to be read through before you pay your money, so you can see what is actually covered, & read it assuming that everything isn't covered, unless the policy proves otherwise! Neutral
I would suggest, if the wording is as DG suggests, that you ask them to supply the rack, then all comeback is on them, so are the problems with exchange etc.

Regards
Steve

Post #69843130th Sep 2010 8:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 
Warranties

It is always unfortunate when its after the event that it turns out the cover isn't what was expected. The only way to avoid this is to check before you buy. From car insurance, home insurance, warranty cover or before buying whatever car you pick, it is important you look at what you are getting. This is another reason you can hand the insurance back within 14 days if you are not happy.

Top price doesn't always mean top quality. I think all of us on here know that is the case with the high price of the Landrover and the known faults that we are all just waiting to crop up with the usual "bong" from the dashboard.

However, no one should ever give up in pursuing a claim if they feel they are being wrongly dealt with. With fax and emails, letters can be sent to the organisation asking for a response by return. In the case of any product sold by a company who is regulated by the Financial Services Authority (anyone selling warranty or insurance has to be) then the complaint can be made by telephone as the FSA tell members they must not make it difficult for individuals to make a complaint.

Post #69844030th Sep 2010 9:09 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Albourneboy wrote:
Because of the mileage my car has done (82K), I have to pay 30% of the cost of the spares. Again, fair enough. However, the policy carries a £50 excess
My WD policy (which starts when my warranty expires tomorrow) has the No Betterment and No Excess options on it at no extra cost (also go airbags & emissions cover and off-road use covered). They don't advertise these things but they are available if you ask

I spent a long time looking a warranties and as far as I can tell there just isn't one out there that will give you the same cover as the original manufacturers warranty, WD seems to be the best of a bad bunch Confused

nichop, if I was in the same position I'd find out the cost of the reconditioned rack and offer to pay the difference to get a new one
 The End  
Post #69856530th Sep 2010 1:25 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

just renewed mine with the LR one for the third year as I have no complaints at all about them Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #69857830th Sep 2010 1:57 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

How much Malc?
 The End  
Post #69857930th Sep 2010 2:03 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

£760 for the Approved without assist over ten months interest free, a shade on the expensive side compared to some of the others but for the past two years it has more than paid for itself and as I still have mine serviced by where I bought it from all the claims are handled by them, so zero aggro for me Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #69858130th Sep 2010 2:13 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

£88 per month for ten months ( 12 months cover ) including assist, no problems with it so far they have even just paid for gearbox flush ( albeit after Customer Care got involved )
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #69858230th Sep 2010 2:19 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers Malc, Paul Thumbs Up
I'm going to chance it with WD for a year, hopefully I won't have to use it, maybe I will and end up crawling back to LR in 12 months Rolling Eyes Confused
 The End  
Post #69858730th Sep 2010 2:38 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

blueanchorinn wrote:
£88 per month for ten months ( 12 months cover ) including assist, no problems with it so far they have even just paid for gearbox flush ( albeit after Customer Care got involved )

Same here, its a very good warranty - maybe a bit on the expensive side but worth it. They also replaced my steering wheel with a new smooth leather one when the original delaminated without any questions Mr. Green
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #69861830th Sep 2010 4:42 pm
nichop

United Kingdom 

I inherited the WD policy when I bought the car so, haven't read it through before purchasing. However I did go through the policy document I have with a fine tooth comb and there is no 'can use reconditioned' clause in the policy. When I spoke with WD they said new policy documentation had been released with this clause. As far as I'm aware the policy document I received when the policy was taken out forms part of the contract so, changing it ,mid-term isn't acceptable (although I will have to check if there is a clause saying they can do this).

I've been quoted £670+VAT for a new one. WD will pay £305 for a recon unit and have given me the right to pay the difference if I want a new one. Not sure its worth doing this. As for the 3 days car hire - I haven't yet raised this with them. They were having some systems issues when I called - apparantly the sales guys had put my total 24mnth mileage restriction into the system as 6k miles whereas it sould have been 6k per year. Consequently the claim was being blocked. Frustratingly he wanted me to then call the sales dept to sort it out !! Nope. its your problem not mine, go fix it !!!

Most of the guys there are fine but there is one chap who is just completely rude and out of order. Once I've sorted the claim I will be writing to someone about him. I suspect if I'd had someone else in the first instance I would have just gone with the recon rack but now I want to dig my heels in !!

Post #69865530th Sep 2010 6:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >