Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Warranty Investigation Work?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
p203557

Warranty Investigation Work?

I had my MY05 D3 serviced last week by TFC. Today it went in for its MOT and to highlight a couple of minor issues to be looked at under warranty. Neither of these were big jobs and didn't strictly need doing but TFC in his thoroughness pointed them out and said its worth a try at getting a warranty fix before it runs out.

Basically the main dealer wanted an hours labour £110 to thoroughly investigate the issues. If the problem was identified and was a warranty issue there would be nothing to pay. If either they couldn't find the cause or they found it and its not covered by warranty then I have to stump up the £110 plus the costs of replacing whatever it is.

Is this standard practice as it seems a bit harsh to me? Heads they win, tails I lose springs to mind. The issues were minimal wear in the rear bushes (plenty of life left) and a few spots of oil from the front n/s diff. For the time being I'm not having them look at it and will monitor it myself. As above the suspension was definitely a long shot at getting it sorted for free under warranty and the spots of oil I will monitor but its not even enough to leave a trace on the drive and was only highlighted by TFC when he had the wheels off!

Any advice gratefully received.

Last edited by p203557 on 14th Dec 2010 7:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #73142814th Dec 2010 7:37 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thats rubbish..........TFC done the same for me and pointed out issues that needed addressing before Warrenty Expired, although the Dealer was a bit reluctant at 1st cos I had'nt serviced it there with them. Iain is a well known and respected techy and most dealers know of him IMHO.

With some Warrenty claims, the Vehicle can fall into a Dealer responsible repair (the simpe ones), but if its a Premature failure of a componant then the dealer can ask LR to fund/part fund the parts. With this most of the time it has to pass an inspection by LR for an approval.

Never heard of the customer having to pay for it...

Out of curiosity whats wrong

Post #73143314th Dec 2010 7:42 pm
p203557

It is just slight wear in the rear suspension, I hadn't noticed any symptoms yet.

Also a few spots of oil at the front n/s which TFC thought might be from the front diff.

I'm going to email TFC to see what he thinks and might go back to the dealer armed with a bit more info, today the MOT was done as was a brake boost pump recall so not a wasted day. I just hate the whole feeling of mistrust I get from main dealers especially when compared to TFC whom I trust and explained it all to me in a language I can understand!

Post #73143614th Dec 2010 7:47 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

its all down to the individual dealer and maybe the customer/dealer relationship.

My dealer has never charged for investigative work, even when they cant find the problem, or they find it and its not covered under warranty - they just charged for the work to fix it.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #73144314th Dec 2010 8:03 pm
p203557

I think a call to their after sales manager might be in order. Hopefully a polite well reasoned call will provide some progress. I'm not fussed about the suspension issue as it is only very minor wear, the oil leak however I would really like to get it looked at.

Its the first time I've used the dealer and was hoping to start a positive relationship. TFC is great and will be my first port of call for all planned maintenance, but I still need somewhere local to take it for short notice stuff as he is a busy man!

Post #73144914th Dec 2010 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >