Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Warranty work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Big Red

Warranty work

Having owned my se for a couple of weeks on thursday, sadly it is leaving me on thursday for a freelander Embarassed

Thankfully it is just for its trip into the dealers for some warranty work. Laughing

question is, how do you find your dealer handles warranty work.

i have compiled quite a list of work needing done, from rattling tailgate which has worn through the paint on the lower half,knocks and clunks from front and rear suspension, auto wipers going full pelt in very fine drizzle, pitted and corroded alloy wheels, uneaven tyre wear on all four tyres to the point of them being below legal limit,rear of car lying low on nearside, to name but a few Laughing

Don't get me wrong, the car is brilliant, its just i am a bit fussy and spending a huge wad of cash on a car, I want it right. Whick at the moment it isn't.

Car turns two yrs old on 30th April, so still lots of warranty left.

Its just I have a feeling the dealer will adjust a few things and tell me everything else is ok, and give me the car back the way it was.

Never dealt with a dealer before with warranty work, although i do know my way around a car as have been in motor trade for 27 yrs, so they won't be able to give me technical nonsense Very Happy

Always bought cars private, and non have been covered by warranty before so don't really know what to expect, but already have my own thoughts Confused

Any input appreciated.

Gordon

Post #1363256th Mar 2007 10:03 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A lot of it will depend on the dealer you use, there are good and bad as with all manufacturers.
Best thing to do is research all your problems on here and go prepared to the dealer.
There will be plenty of info on all the issues you have.
Good luck and post your experiences on here to get more feedback / ammo.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #1363286th Mar 2007 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chocolate

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I booked mine in with Guy Salmon at wakefield, and found them excellent, all work carried out without a problem, everything was explained fully, and the even fitted my side protection free of charge, superb!!

Car of the Year 2005, 2006 and 2007, Best Large 4x4
Top Gear "Best Car In The World"
4x4 Magazine "Best 4x4 In The World"

2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 SE Manual, Zambezi Silver, Ebony Powered/Heated Leather, Privacy Glass, Side protection, Parrot CK3200LS Bluetooth Phone Kit, 18" Type 2 Alloys, Bi-Xenons, and Tasmods Stainless Steel sill trims, MANTEC Protection 

Post #1363296th Mar 2007 10:12 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I did the same list idea and made sure they had it all written down on the worksheet with my copy attached. When I then collected the car I produced my list again and asked them to show me what they had done rather than tell me. We walked around the car and went over each and every issue in detail, to the point that I asked for the actual mechanic to come out and explain what the service manager couldn't. It ended up with about a third of the things I'd asked for being left/missed. So I told them that I wouldn't accept the car back unless these issues were dealt with and I will be hiring an equivalent car and charging them the cost. They were working on the points whilst I made my disappointment known and got most of the stuff done there and then. They also loaned me a new car to drive whilst they finished off the next day. Oh by the way this was a Toyota, not a LR. Same deal applies though.
Good luck.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #1363316th Mar 2007 10:14 pm
Big Red

Meant to add after reading through my first post, that the car was also bought private, as it reads like the dealer sold me this two weeks ago Embarassed although it shouldn't make any difference as it isn't two yrs old yet.

Also forgot the difficulty engaging first and reverse gear if the car sits any more than a couple of hours.
Really need to give it a solid push to get it to go in.

Dealer its booked into is the one that seems to be taking over most of the land rover dealerships at the moment.
Also same group owns quite a few other franchises around the country.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Gordon

Post #1363346th Mar 2007 10:18 pm
al cope

England 

my dealer needs pushing on everything - dont find them proactive at all. Also, I dont trust that they've done what they say they've done, especially when its stuff you cant actually see.

There is a tech bulletin out for the "hard to engage 1st/reverse" issue.

dealer is now part of str*st*ne group

Alan
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #1364147th Mar 2007 9:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My car has been in for two lots of warranty work and both times, the dealership have broken something else at the same time (aftermarket car kit & EPB)
they are also part of the Stratstones and to be honest i'm never going back there.
15k service due in a months time - going to travel for that one.

Incidentally, went in there yesterday to request a price on a raised air intake only to be told that LandRover don't do one for a discovery 3..... at which point i laughed out loud, told the parts manager that in fact LR do have raised air intakes, pointed to it in the LR accesories brochure and walked out the showroom.

I appreciate theres not much call for them in the city and where i live it's not likely to be requested, but this is from a professional who makes his living selling parts - just not good enough.

no wonder theres a banner out side advertising for staff....

Post #1364577th Mar 2007 11:05 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

al cope wrote:
There is a tech bulletin out for the "hard to engage 1st/reverse" issue.
That TSB is only applicable to the Auto The End  
Post #1364957th Mar 2007 12:16 pm
al cope

England 

there's one for the manual too, as I had this issue. it was a gerbox out job, with adjustment/lubrication involed to fix it - or is this yet another dealer tale Shocked - all I can say, it was in for 2 days.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #1365247th Mar 2007 12:56 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

al cope wrote:
or is this yet another dealer tale
Yep, call their bluff and ask for a copy of it Wink The End  
Post #1365257th Mar 2007 12:59 pm
Big Red

Update

Dealer has had car for two days, phoned them twice today for update, and promised both times I would get phoned back
No call until 6.00 pm.

Progress.

Rattling tailgate has had new latch fitted, getting sent to other dealers to have tailgate repainted due to worn paint from window rubber Very Happy

Crazy auto wipers have had sensor replaced. Very Happy

Rear wirer arm has been replaced Very Happy

knocking and clunking from front and rear is due to worn anti roll bar bushes, ordered and being replaced Monday Very Happy

Worn loadspace cover ordered and being replaced on Monday Very Happy

Suspension lying low on nearside rear has had software upgrade Confused 9no smiley on this one till i see if it is rectified

Excessive fuel consumption(best i have had is just under 21 mpg driving it like is running on fumes) cannot find anything wrong Sad

Abnormal wear on all four tyres, wanted the steering and suspension geometry set up, I would have to pay as not covered by warranty Rolling Eyes Told to speak to landrover customer services even after I reminded them of the tsb about this. Confused
Also told they would not cover the cost of the tyres that have worn out abnormally as it is past its first service Crying or Very sad
told to speak to landrover customer services again.

Difficulty engaging first and reverse gear, told nothing wrong Laughing even after telling them about the tsb about this issue as well. So looks like i will need to mention this to Landrover customer services as well.

Poor paint finish,pitting and corrosion on alloy wheels. Not interested, would need to speak to customer services Mad

So Monday morning, I will be giving LR a phone with my views on the above, quoting the relevant tsb about these issues and asking them why I need to tell the dealer about these known issues, but still tell me they are not covered and to speak to them.

No real surprise really, as I thought I would run into some problems, just have to see how it progresses on Monday once I speak to customer services.

looks like I am running about in the freeloader this weekend now Whistle

Post #1376359th Mar 2007 11:39 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

At the risk of making myself look stupid again, do D3's have anti roll bars? (don't recall seeing them)
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #1376389th Mar 2007 11:58 pm
gilbo

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

This sort of stuff makes me really cross. I don't know where you bought the car from or how long you have been dealing with this dealer but as that should be irrelevant. It is not like any of this is unknown to them. Took mine in. 24,500 miles 18 months old, inside edges of front tyres worn out. Allignment - FOC and 50% contribution for the tyres (all 4!). What did it take? A phone call by the dealer to LR. I didn't even have to threaten them - mind you once you mention the 'safety' aspect......All sorted in 24 hours. Mind you I have been buying from them for 13 years! Can't understand the philosophy as it is not the dealer who loses out financially, only Ford! Why do dealers have their own set of 'rules' - easy fix - go elsewhere! Good luck.
Gilbo

Post #13764010th Mar 2007 12:08 am
Big Red

DaveT wrote:
At the risk of making myself look stupid again, do D3's have anti roll bars? (don't recall seeing them)

yup Dave, front and rear.
The bushes the anti roll bars sit in are well worn, I can take hold of the bars in the middle, and slide them fron side to side and up and down in the bushes

Post #13764110th Mar 2007 12:14 am
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Embarassed
Yeh, I knew that all along. just testing Whistle

Just looked at Gareths pics. Dont know why Ive never noticed them - Ive spent enough time cleaning the underside of the last one! I just had a mental image of where they are on a D2, and don't recall seeing them in the same place on the D3 - they're much more tucked away.

Good luck with the warranty issues, I'm sure that gentle persistence will win in the end. L/R are keen to point out the strength and transferability of their warranty, as it is this that underpins the faith in the brand. On both my previous Landys all issues were eventually solved, leaving me with a car I had absolute faith in.

Dave
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #13764610th Mar 2007 12:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >