Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Water entry Via air intake on Diesal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Bill

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Water entry Via air intake on Diesal

Given that the LR and the Safari "snorkels' are not waterproof, I would like to know what amount of water can the current air vent cope with.-- e.g. when hosing down the vehicle, when crossing a river with the flow hitting against the driver side. I know the vent is relatively high but a diesal does not like water in the piston chamber at alljavascript:emoticon('Rolling Eyes')
Rolling Eyes
 Wlar  
Post #559902nd May 2006 10:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Bill, I've sprayed water almost directly into mine (even though the book says not to!) and there was no effect.

The snorkels should be water resistant enough to allow for river crossings, given that the force vectors will be pushing the water onto and across the mass of the car. If the water level is so high that parts of the snorkel will be completely submerged (and hence allowing constant water pressure across the surface of the snorkel), then one is really testing the liklihood of Archimedes Principle coming into effect!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #559942nd May 2006 11:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Water entry Via air intake on Diesal

Bill wrote:
the Safari "snorkels' are not waterproof

Bill,

This is not correct. I asked Safari 4x4 this question a while ago about sealing of the snorkel where it meets the guard and it is sealed with a silicon compound.

It is a snorkel and not just a raised air intake.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #560012nd May 2006 12:31 pm
Bill

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Water entry Via air intake on Diesal

Chris I went to ARB Northern yeasterday and they advised that the Safari snorkrl had a problem (same as the LR) and that a new release was due in about 2 months
regards
Bill
 Wlar  
Post #561473rd May 2006 3:57 am
PCH

Bill,

You are right Safari4x4 told me that they were still getting the snorkel into production and it was another 1-2 months and this was one month ago.

Sniegy (another Forum member) stated the reason for the delay was due to the fact the D3 bonnet can open to a vertical postion and it looks like Safari4x4 didn't take that into account.

I've been asking Safari4x4 since Feb 2005 and that was when they had no plans. It was in Oct 2005 that they confirmed one was in design and would be due out in Feb 2006. More follow up emails and they are still saying 1-2 months.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #561503rd May 2006 5:45 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I Emailed Safari this morning and got this rather vague answer:-

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your enquiry and interest in Safari.

The snorkel is in engineering at the moment. It will be finalized shortly and go into normal production.

Best regards,

James Gruber

Safari Automotive Technologies
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #561513rd May 2006 6:27 am
PCH

These are the kind of replies I get from James but I get time frames which keep slipping.

They must have brickwalls between Engineering and Production like most manufacturing companies. The Engineers design something the Production guys can't make Confused

Chris

Post #561553rd May 2006 7:26 am
Tony

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or the Accountants want it made cheaper.....
 Ex Defender 110 200Tdi owner.  
Post #561813rd May 2006 9:38 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Check the Safari website now. Details for the D3 are up, including fitting instructions. It looks pretty waterproof, and they do replace the plumbing between the fender and airbox (which is perforated on the original).

ARB tells me they expect pricing to be ~$A600 fitted. Given the complexity of the fitting instructions, and pricing for similar products, it seems reasonable..
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #757864th Aug 2006 1:24 am
PCH

Haggis,

Good find.

So we can really say the Safari4x4 one is water proof. Looks very involved to fit but instructions and templates look great.

Around $600 installed is a actually very good price since the LR one is around that price and is not water proof.

Chris

Post #757874th Aug 2006 3:13 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

chris
it does look fairly involved to fit but i think it would be more time
consuming than difficult
ill probably have a go myself
norto

Post #757884th Aug 2006 3:19 am
Jamo

Australia 

Chris, I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to make the LR one water tight.

I might have a go when I've got more time, but I've no intention of driving into water thats a metre or more deep!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #757904th Aug 2006 3:42 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
wading with TDV6

The wading depth is quoted at 750mm in offroad suspension mode. This is very conservative. During our recent trip we waded thru water up to the headlights with no problems. The intake is very cleverly placed to be in the "trough" behind the bow wave created when the vehicle pushes the water up in front. I reckon if you get stuck in such deep water you will have problems, but OK that's what the 750mm limit really means I think.
Also, the air-filter housing has a little valve in the bottom that I suspect is to allow water to "fall" out in the unlikely event that you do manage to suck some in.
So to answer your question about spraying water in when washing etc. I don't think you would manage to do anything, unless you are in the habit of leaving your engine running while you wash the vehicle with a fire hose

Post #758264th Aug 2006 10:27 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I had the water to the top of the headlights on the Billing off-road course, it was very deep indeed, and no ill effects (except the power steering disapeared for about 30 seconds whilst the belt dried out).

The tide marks on the side of the car afterwards clearly showed that the air intake was in the shallowest part of the trough. The water was no where near causing any problem.

I don't know what the level depth of the lake at Billing is, but I suspect it was in the region of 500 mm.

If I had a snorkel, I would be more concerned about a wave coming up and over the bonnet and entering the heater intake at the back of the bonnet.

Post #758764th Aug 2006 1:11 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

When we hit a pothole in the river I've had the water splash over the bonnet and right up the windscreen, and no problem except for a skid mark in the undies. I reckon if you are moving forward, you are ok. When we tested the depth later, it was up to my sternum, which is about 1.2m!
Granted, a firend in his TD5 D2 got stuck, but I reckon he was just unlucky, and he was also going pretty slow.

Post #758824th Aug 2006 1:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >