DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Water in front passenger footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gid

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4
Water in front passenger footwell

Hi All

this morning my wife informed me that there was water in the front passenger footwell,

I have done a little reading on this and most points to sunroof drains blocked.

I am wondering if this is still possible if we have never used the sunroof in the eight years we have owned the car

(Vehicle is 2006 Discovery 3 HSE)

any info most gratefully received

thanks Sad

Post #206033111th Jun 2019 9:59 am
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Whether or not you have used the sunroof, it is still very likely that it is the sunroof drain. There are four drains, each corner of the sunroof drains to each wheel arch. Sometimes the tubes perish and/or the valves/grommets taking them out through the wheel arch can fail.

Sadly the passenger side is the hardest one to fix, because it is hidden behind the central junction fuseboard. That’ll need to come out to get to it. It is certainly a DIY Job but give yourself a good few hours, getting the CJB back in is a total faff. Buy a new tube kit with the new valves. If you don’t have water on the headlining then you’re lucky it’s just the lower part of the tube or the valve. If you have to replace the whole tube you’ll need the headlining out too.

I’ve just replace all four on mine, took about a day in total as there was a lot to take apart just to et to them.

Plenty of guides on here, and you tube was helpful too.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #206036711th Jun 2019 12:02 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry, should’ve said - it might be the scuttle panel or the windscreen plastic surrounds too. Might be worth checking this out first to avoid taking the interior apart. Also check inside the pollen filter housing, that would likely be wet if the scuttle panel is to blame.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #206036811th Jun 2019 12:04 pm
wizbongre

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it is as simple as the drain being blocked, you only need to clear it out. This can sometimes be done by pushing a suitably sized wire down from the sunroof end.

To check, wait until it is dry, open the sunroof and (carefully!) pour water into the channel at the front where you can see the holes going to the drains. You want to fill the channel and then check to see if water is running out underneath the car, just near to the rear of the wheel arches.

If one side isn't running out, try to unblock it first before any other drastic measures (unless of course you can see the water running into the cabin from somewhere.) I use net curtain wire to push down, which has done the job of unblocking the passenger side drain on our D3.
 Cheers,

Gareth

'57 D3 2.7 TDV6 HSE gone and soon to be forgotten!
‘15 D4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Luxury
'64 Audi A6 3.0BiTDi Quattro S-Line Black Edition with lots of toys 

Post #206037111th Jun 2019 12:27 pm
greenhor69

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi there.
The valve has sheared off on the passenger side inner wing ,is there a definitive guide on here to gaining access?
Lee
 Better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than open my mouth and prove it !!!!!  
Post #207865727th Aug 2019 6:08 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DIY Ace wrote:
Whether or not you have used the sunroof, it is still very likely that it is the sunroof drain. There are four drains, each corner of the sunroof drains to each wheel arch. Sometimes the tubes perish and/or the valves/grommets taking them out through the wheel arch can fail.

Sadly the passenger side is the hardest one to fix, because it is hidden behind the central junction fuseboard. That’ll need to come out to get to it. It is certainly a DIY Job but give yourself a good few hours, getting the CJB back in is a total faff. Buy a new tube kit with the new valves. If you don’t have water on the headlining then you’re lucky it’s just the lower part of the tube or the valve. If you have to replace the whole tube you’ll need the headlining out too.

I’ve just replace all four on mine, took about a day in total as there was a lot to take apart just to et to them.

Plenty of guides on here, and you tube was helpful too.

^^ This - Your car is a 2006 and the elbows will have perished. It's a fact of life that as these things age they deteriorate. If you just rod them now, they will still rot and drop off inside the car. From your description that's whats already happened. Get it sorted whilst we still have some good weather. Good Luck

Post #207871927th Aug 2019 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >