DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Waterproof luggage cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DaveM

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Waterproof luggage cover

Hi,

About to load up the roof rack and troll off to the west country, i'm looking for a luggage cover to keep it all dray in our wonderful summer weather. I can go with a basic tarp/cover from halfrauds or possibly a thule'softbox' strapped to the rack - anyone got any better ideas?

cheers
dave

Post #5039465th Aug 2009 8:57 am
Discofever

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, I've got a Thule soft box, picked it up in the Halfrauds sale, fantastic bit of kit, though I did have to modify the fixing points as there was no config that fitted the Disco's roof bars.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE auto, Cairns Blue, Lamp Guards, LR Roof Bars - Just love it!
Club AT2 

Post #5039635th Aug 2009 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveM

discofever, took your advice, it was one of the options I had considered and you are right, it is a robust bit of kit, however, I have caused myself some problems!!! on the basis that I have a the LR rack, with ally plate on it, with tie downs and the DII bar across the front, I niavely assumed that I would be able to work out how it fit it easily........ BIG MISTAKE!!!!

1.the expedition rack bars are to wide - so can't drill through the ally play to allow the U bolts to come up through around them.
2. I can take the DII bar off the front, but it is too wide to sit far enough back to allow the U bolts to go around it and the rear bar on the rack

so.... the clever clamping system will sit in the garage and the box/bag will be laid on the roof, filled and then rachet strapped down to the tie downs! - ugly but it works - kind of an expensive tarpaulin!

I might try drilling holes in the ally plate to accept the u bolts without going around a cross bar, but thats a bigger job, and I would rather take the plate/rack off to do it as drilling through close to the glass is a bit too risky!!!

at least i have another carrying system!

cheers
Dave

Post #5047297th Aug 2009 9:05 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

i got a waterproof roof bag from Frogs island - cost about £30 i think. its full width of the roof rack about 1.5m long, zips all the way round, velcros and starps to the roof bars. the seem split (cos its not great quality) but you can borrow it if you want
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5047347th Aug 2009 9:19 am
DaveM

Thanks for the kind offer. Thumbs Up The thule soft box thingy will work, its just the attachement to the roof rack is somewhat crude - it is in effect, an expensive plastic tarp! and as I'm putting soft stuff, wet suits etc it will be fine.

thanks again for the offer Thumbs Up

Cheer
dave

Post #5047387th Aug 2009 9:22 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dave if you're sticking wet suits in it do they need to be kept dry?

I think the best way of keeping kit dry is to stick it all in the boot, flatten the middle seats if you need to and just stick the wife and kids on the bus! Razz

Seriously though isn't a tarp just as good, probably tougher, pack down smaller for storage and cheaper?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5047617th Aug 2009 10:48 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Why not just use some dry bags like these and put your kit in them and tie them to the rack, much cheaper than the thule roof bag and more flexible to Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Last edited by SJR on 7th Aug 2009 11:12 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5047647th Aug 2009 10:55 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dry bags are great, and they are actually waterproof compared to the water resistant thule offering. You can even use them to take the wetsuits down to the beach etc.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5047707th Aug 2009 11:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >