2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #3285114th Dec 2005 12:07 am
BN

England 

OK, this is my idea as you appear to have lost interest in the FBH fix and I have obviously wasted my time and efforts together with Webasto.

I will contact Webasto today and ask them for an e mail address that you can register your interest in the modification to them direct. There will be no facility for question answering, just interest registration. I will sort out a format with them and post it.

Should you take up their modification they will let me know and I suggest that you make a donation directly to Martin for the site upkeep and development, that will save Webasto sorting that issue out. Martin can decide on the donation amount, which I will discuss with him as and when.

Post #3286214th Dec 2005 8:15 am
gilmore

England 

Sadly, BN, I think you're right. It's a waste of time pursuing this further. I have only been tracking this issue from a distance, but it seems to me that people either:
1. Want the original LR functionality to work but aren't willing to get involved in paying/hassle with a third party solution that just offers a timer, or
2. Would be willing to pay for a system that is BETTER than the (non-working) LR functionality allowed them to use a remote to turn oit on from the house in the morning .

For one, I would fall into the "option 2" camp, as I don't value the timer
only option enough to actually pay more than about 50 quid.

As neither of these options are likely I would just cut and run at this point.

regards
Rob

Post #3287614th Dec 2005 9:03 am
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I would be with "Option 2"

I am not surprised a natural scepticism is creeping in, for the following reasons.

We have not had description on the functionality and features offered or what possibilities there are to upgrade at a later date to a remote control.

We do not have any idea as to the size and appearance of the module or the mounting options. Perhaps a picture?

We have no idea as to the price except that a morning's work to fit is likely to be in excess of £100 before considering the hardware.

The timing of when we are likely to be able to fit seems to become rather open-ended.
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #3289614th Dec 2005 9:27 am
Jim

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Firstly, Brian, you have not wasted your time Exclamation I think, know, that everyone on this site really appreciates all the work you have done on not only this issue but in organising events and assisting in a never ending list of queries and issues.

A lot of us D3 owners are just very impatient and get drawn in to issues so much that we start to lose focus on the bigger picture of how great the D3 is not only as a car but also as a tool and fun machine.

I am sure that if a poll was held as to the most helpful and appreciated forum member you would find yourself very highly regarded.

A lot of us like to think we know better, or have ideas for solutions, but we need to step back and realise that if the company that made it say something then this isn't done lightly and there are very good reasons for there statements.

I feel that this thread and others on the FBH have pretty much been well and truely exhausted at this point in time and we should all take a deep breath, stand back and wait for the next information to come from Webasto & BN.

It is a pointless exercise to brow beat BN in a hope that he breaks down and releases some small snippet of information that at the end of the day he has been specifically to keep to himself until the full working solution, with pricing and installation details is ready to be released from Webasto.

i think we are all due a BIG thanks to Brian and we should stop posting on the FBH and get out and enjoy our D3's (althought FREEZING cold in the mornings Wink )
 Jim  
Post #3290014th Dec 2005 9:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I've read this thread, and it is interesting to see how folk sway from one point of view to another depending on where the thread is moving.

Think about what you are doing.
Land Rover have fitted a pre-heater to our D3s that doesn't work. It is up to you as individuals to pursue LR for a fix or redress for this issue. Though, as we all know there does not appear to be any appetite from LR to fix this (in fact it is not present in later build D3s). take your frustrations out on LR, not BN or Webasto.

Mean while in the real world
However, totally separately, BN has been working to get an after market solution. Great. Those who want to use the pre-heater can buy the accessory. No further debate required - its your choice.

Further more, the fix BN has been working on doesn't have a remote. Nor does the LR factory fit solution. So why is everyone jumping on the band-wagon and berating BN and his solution for not providing this functionallity. Again lets be clear here, you buy what is on offer or you don't.

However, studying the thread further I see BN making an approach to sound out what the feeling is about having a remote control. Does he never stop trying to help! So the sensible approach is to ask everyone how much they'd consider paying over and above the standard accessory price for a remote control option - nothing wrong with that. So why have you all like sheep jumped in and gone on and on about commercials and Webasto's marketing techniques. This is BN trying to be helpful and have some information to approach Webasto with, to see if enough funds might therefore be raised to consider a remote control function.

Just remember the old saying.. Don't shoot the messenger

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #3291514th Dec 2005 10:29 am
gilmore

England 

I don't feel that LR promised me a FBH and then didn't deliver. They obviously tried to put the timer functionality in the car and failed to get it sorted in time for launch.

My LR dealer salesman never refered to a FBH feature and it wasn't refered to in the sales literature that I read. LR haven't tidied up the settings menu, so we can still see what maight have been. Otherwise I don't see why we are beating them up.

I applaud BN's initiative in trying to help with a solution. We should stop thinking about it as "rectifying a LR failure" and think about it as a thurd party enhancement, like a performance chip.

If Webasto can offer a remote control for less than £100 fitted, the I think people would go for that. Otherwise it's probably not worth the hassle.
rgs
rob

Post #3291814th Dec 2005 10:41 am
gilmore

England 

I have been a non-participant on this thread until today but have been reading it. It was reasonable for Webasto to sound out its potential customer base about how much they would be willing to pay. I'm not sure why people pushed back agaist that. Though I don't thing their tone was particularly helpful, it wasn't aggressive. I don't think that the words "berate" and "shoot the messanger" reflect the tone of the postings I have seen so far, which seems to have been reasonably measured.

I re-interate. BN has gone to a lot of trouble to help people. This is a great example of how this type of forum engenders a fantastic spirit of mutual support.

However it ends up as a simple marketing question. I think that not enough people will be willing to pay enough money for the only (non-remote) potential solution for it to be worth Webasto and everyone else's time and effort to pursue further.

regs
Rob

Post #3292314th Dec 2005 10:54 am
Biggles

My thoughts on this wild and varied thread,

Even though the sport that I bought does not have the software menu it does have the FBH.
Now as far as I can see some people feel very misled by land rover in what they have been told. I for one, knew of the heater when making my purchase and asked all the releveant questions regarding the purpose of this item at the dealership, as with most dealers they did not know thier backside from thier elbow and new nothing of this fabled heater.
I can see that on my own particular car it is something that I would love to have enabled. As such I will say thank you to BN and his contacts for providing the resources and information to hopefuly enable this item which would be nice if it worked by remote but not essential in my case.
However I do see that some people have issues that they should be taking up with land rover, but as is the normm not every body wants to be involved but are quite happy to use the anonymity of this web site to voice thier opinions on the matter.
If you were promised this heater on purchase and it was advertised on the specs as being an engine and cabin pre heater then your case should be taken up with land rover and your dealer, not the man who is trying to solve the problem of his own back (BN). I remember that on the initial specs for the sport it was advertised as having a fuel burning heater this I took to mean nothing more than an aid to getting the car upto working temp quicker and thus providing heat in the cabin quicker.
BN does seem to be trying to sound out who wants it and how much people will pay, but bear in mind that he is a business man and has put time into the project so some recompense is surely due. I dont see anyone else standing up with webasto and helping to get functionality of the heater.
 Just popped over from the dark side.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/index.php 

Post #3294914th Dec 2005 12:29 pm
gilmore

England 

Nice one Biggles. Hear hear!
regs
rob

Post #3296414th Dec 2005 1:51 pm
BN

England 

Biggles wrote:
My thoughts on this wild and varied thread,

Even though the sport that I bought does not have the software menu it does have the FBH.
Now as far as I can see some people feel very misled by land rover in what they have been told. I for one, knew of the heater when making my purchase and asked all the releveant questions regarding the purpose of this item at the dealership, as with most dealers they did not know thier backside from thier elbow and new nothing of this fabled heater.
I can see that on my own particular car it is something that I would love to have enabled. As such I will say thank you to BN and his contacts for providing the resources and information to hopefuly enable this item which would be nice if it worked by remote but not essential in my case.
However I do see that some people have issues that they should be taking up with land rover, but as is the normm not every body wants to be involved but are quite happy to use the anonymity of this web site to voice thier opinions on the matter.
If you were promised this heater on purchase and it was advertised on the specs as being an engine and cabin pre heater then your case should be taken up with land rover and your dealer, not the man who is trying to solve the problem of his own back (BN). I remember that on the initial specs for the sport it was advertised as having a fuel burning heater this I took to mean nothing more than an aid to getting the car upto working temp quicker and thus providing heat in the cabin quicker.
BN does seem to be trying to sound out who wants it and how much people will pay, but bear in mind that he is a business man and has put time into the project so some recompense is surely due. I dont see anyone else standing up with webasto and helping to get functionality of the heater.

Biggles two small points,

1 I get absolutely nothing out of this, in fact I have put time and money into it plus used my contacts for the site. I was hoping however that Martin would get something for the site upkeep, which many appear to forget that he funds himself and whilst he is still at Uni.

2 The 'fix' should work with the RRS.

Post #3297614th Dec 2005 2:53 pm
Biggles

Sorry BN,
I thought that maybe you would have covered your expenses at the least, there are not many people left who will help out a stranger in distress these days.
So good on you.
 Just popped over from the dark side.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/index.php 

Post #3299814th Dec 2005 4:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Come on guys, this is getting too heavy. I was the first serious member of this forum, and my first post was over a year ago regarding this mysterious option in the settings menu that I could not get to work! read it, we've done it all before!.

I got sick of beating my head against a wall with LR customer service and the dealers, I do think Biggles is correct when he says that they don't know their Censored from their elbows.

As Brian has stated, and as I got it in writing from Land Rover (Jaguar) Engineering back in February (I think) that their is no possibility of a factory fitted timer function built into the car on any new model before 09 build, and their is NO possibility of a fix/retro fit to 04 & 05 models that have the setting. The setting menu was a mistake and they admitted it to me in writing. I wish I could show you a copy of the letter, but some scrote nicked my laptop and documents.

So, you can keep trying to get something out of Land Rover, or you can live with what you've got.

Or, if like me you like gadgets, there is the third option. So I will be getting the Webasto aftermarket option providing its realistic in its price.

Well done Brian, you've done a great job on this. If I was coming to the xmas bash, I would buy you a pint for your trouble! but you will have to wait until the next Wales trip Wink

Post #3306514th Dec 2005 10:11 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Webasto Control

Well put Gareth Brian is trying to do his best for a thankless job and seems to get lots of stick for all the hard work that he puts in.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #3307414th Dec 2005 10:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tucker_j

England 

Thanks BN! I have registered my interest with the manufacturer and look forward to a warm, comfy cabin in the mornings Very Happy

Post #3348016th Dec 2005 2:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >