Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Welcome to DISCO3 and DISCO4 - Say hello here!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 715 of 819 <123 ... 714715716 ... 817818819>
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome to the club Very Happy

When doing your disc's and pads you may want to consider putting the larger discs on from the V8 you will need larger caliper carriers but can reuse the calipers .

Post #210563413th Dec 2019 8:29 am
LandyNL

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thank you for your advice!
What is the reason for replacing the original size disc's for the V8 size disc's?

LandyNL

Post #210566813th Dec 2019 11:20 am
aja4x4

Gives you better braking especially if fully loaded

Post #210567613th Dec 2019 11:56 am
Luke..

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all,

First post here. Had my Disco 3 for a few months now and love it. As with most, its not without its quirks and problems but its not fun if there's nothing to mess around with right?

Hoping to learn from all your experiences

Cheers
Luke

Post #210614615th Dec 2019 1:16 pm
aja4x4

Welcome Luke im sure you are going to wish you never said that Wink

Good maintenance is the key to reliabilty

Post #210616215th Dec 2019 2:21 pm
mrphill

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Hi all..!

Hi all, just saying a quick hello as I have just joined up!
I am a Discovery 3 owner who has had 15 years with the green oval!

3x TD5's
1x Range Rover P38a and
1x Discovery 3

Look forward to hanging around in here!!

Post #210662617th Dec 2019 7:33 am
Clint C

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
A purchase on the horizon...

Hi all

First post.

I'm on the lookout for my first D3. Hoping to purchase in the coming months. Great forum full of great advice. Thanks to all.

Clint.

Post #210694018th Dec 2019 8:56 am
extremeseby

Romania 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Greetings from Romania

Hy chaps, I’m new to this forum since owning another LR disco 3 beside the other two disco 2 that I have. Hope to find answers to all my questions and help also!

Post #210730119th Dec 2019 4:42 pm
edwbsg

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hello to the Disco4.com community.

I bought a second-hand Disco 3 S ('Poverty Pack') in a hurry one Saturday morning in 2009 because my dear wife refused to drive our 1975 Range Rover any more. She thought the steering was becoming too heavy and approximate, and in danger of dragging us under the tray of the next oncoming semi-trailer.

I miss the simplicity and directness of the Range Rover. It can be quite useful to be able to start your engine with a crank handle when the unthinkable happens while touring the bush.
I bought the RR brand new from the Solihull works, upgrading from a Series 1, and there are few locations in Britain, the Continent and Australia where it hasn't taken me. The RR workshop manual is actually a work of art with its clear and detailed instructions and exquisite line drawings.

It took me quite a while to 'bond' with the LR3. I has the endearing attribute of providing an armchair ride over the roughest bush track, but the prospect of terminal breakdown while many hundreds of kilometres from the nearest service station or phone connection is somewhat daunting.
I used to believe that I could fix any problem that the RR threw at me by building a new part from rocks and trees (thankfully it has never caused this theory to be put to the test), but the LR3 is a different proposition entirely.

It is clear that the manufacturer doesn't want their customers to tinker with its products and seems to go to extreme lengths to withhold every scrap of technical information- no comfort for travellers of the remote regions.

So here I am- hoping to learn all the necessaries to keep my armchair gliding along.
Barry Griggs

Post #210743020th Dec 2019 7:09 am
Dempsey85

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
New to the discovery world

Hi all ive just purchashed a discovery 3 hse and figured i need to know more about them as ive heard good and bad things but took the plunge.

Any problems i should keep my eye out for? It already has the handbrake issue🙈

All comments welcome good and bad

Thanks in advance

Post #210774921st Dec 2019 11:15 pm
GSD1172

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
New to the forum

Hi all.
I’ve recently bought my first Disco 3 (56plate HSE) having previously owned 2 Disco 1s in the past.
It has a couple of minor problems such as bubbling window waist seals, condensation in the fog lamps and the usual wear on the outside bolster of the driver’s seat and paint wear on the drivers door step. None of these are a problem, but the cost of new window seals seems a bit steep!
Looking forward to lots of interaction in the future.

Post #210786422nd Dec 2019 5:14 pm
edwbsg

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: New to the discovery world

Dempsey85 wrote:
Hi all ive just purchashed a discovery 3 hse and figured i need to know more about them as ive heard good and bad things but took the plunge.

Any problems i should keep my eye out for? It already has the handbrake issue🙈

All comments welcome good and bad

Thanks in advance

Hello Dempsey85
Here's a list of the problems that I've have (as far as I can remember) with my 2005 D3 S

(1) Plastic component of the upper rear door actuator broke; successfully replaced with a 3D printed version.

(2) Front suspension bushes have worn excessively and have been replaced twice. This might have been exacerbated by the rough track driving conditions. First set of replacement rubbers may have been sub-standard and did not last long at all. I think the vehicle is a mite too heavy for its suspension.

(3) Shock absorbers also seem not to last very long. Note that my S version has conventional coil springs rather than air-suspension.

(4) The fuel gauge shows very optimistic levels. I've run out of fuel several times with the gauge showing ~ 12%- no warning light to be seen. The front sensor has been replaced but to no avail. It is possible that the replacement sensor has come adrift from its mount and is causing the false readings. Investigations are still going on.

(5)Hand-brake switch has been replaced

(6) Upper glove compartment door hinge was snapped off by my navigator on a particularly bumpy stretch of road. Not sure whether it was out of fear for his life or in revenge for my careless driving. Damage was repaired with a stiffening bracket and a few screws.

(7) Drivers door outer skin and side mirror replaced after they were damaged by a large kangaroo while on my way to work. The animal hopped away without exchanging details.

(8) Gearbox oil replaced and access cover fitted - apparently this is a known problem with D3's - The transmission is sealed and the oil is supposed to last for the life of the vehicle, but doesn't.

(9) replaced the genuine tow hitch with an aftermarket version that raises the tow-ball to a better height. I understand that the genuine tow hitch is referred to as 'the plow' by certain irreverent owners.

Apart from the usual replacements of tyres, batteries, brake pads, gas struts etc., that's about the size of it.
Not too bad (touch wood) for a vehicle going on for 15 years. Its done about 170,000km.
Compared with the old Range Rover, it's nice how modern vehicle engines stay in tune without constant maintenance and adjustment.

Good luck with yours
You weren't specific about your 'handbrake issue'
I had an experience with the electric handbrake (EPB) making embarrassing wailing noises, but it all resolved down to the need for mechanical adjustment and subsequently replacement of the pads.
'Bodsey's Brake Bible' is an excellent source of reference.

Post #210797523rd Dec 2019 3:17 am
stevie sg1

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

hie forum martin glad to join disco 3 im a engineer from glasgow and looking foward to the forum Very Happy

Post #210830524th Dec 2019 2:44 pm
Wagasaurus

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Hey all

Hey folks

Newbie to the site. Had my 2011 XS Disco4 for 2 and a half years. Brilliant car it is for the family. Live just outside Glasgow and joined the site as I was passed on the M8 today, near the Glasgow Royal hospital by a black face lifted Disco4 with the website sticker. Thought I'd say hey, 😁😁

Post #210871227th Dec 2019 1:10 pm
TheCornishman

United Kingdom 
Assistance please...newbie alert!

Hi all,

I have a confession....I am not or ever have been a Landrover owner.

I am however looking for a new 4x4 after my Navara has been bought back by Nissan following a chassis recall.

I really am tempted by the Discovery 3 & 4 especially having driven a couple. I am an outdoorsman with a large Dogbox & family to cater for. The Disco seems to tick my boxes

I have been researching and trawling the net know for a couple of weeks and am becoming familiar with common faults, themes & models.

There is one for sale near me. 110k, Dark Grey, manual tranny, reasonable service history.

I thought it was an SE at 1st as it has black leather seats. It is a very well presented truck (or at least in the photos)

I emailed the owner and discovered it is an S model. Further more it doesn’t have Air suspension! It has not been retro fitted after compressor failure it left the Landry factory with coil springs. The switch where the ride height selector is factory blanked off & there is no terrain response dial. It does still have the the right hand Hi/low & hill descent switch

Anyone have experience at the wheel of this model?

The seller says that he was attracted to it because of the reliability issues with the air suspension. I really like the car but seems counter intuitive to buy a Disco 3 and sacrifice the magic carpet ride experience.

Anyone know how they compare on & off the road?

He’s asking £5k which seems strong compared to some of the SE & HSE prices on the Net

Thanks for any advice... hope to be a fully fledged member soon 😉👍

Post #210878627th Dec 2019 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 715 of 819 <123 ... 714715716 ... 817818819>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >