Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

What to do????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

long and short, its going to cost yer money no matter what yer buy, cheap car - repair bills, more expensive car - repair bills..... motoring or green lanes comes at a cost, if yer dont want the bills dont do the driving Whistle

Post #75097922nd Jan 2011 11:19 pm
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

That's my quandary dude, something more basic that I don't care so much about, but has the potential to cost on the reliability front, or something younger that then makes me think it's a bit nice for scraping down hedges and dragging over rocks and ruts.
I know motoring costs, have run big power Evo,s for the last 7 years , so I am fully aware that with a passion/hobby involving cars there is no cheap alternative , if there is it's usually a false economy.
As per my question, is a coil sprung D3 a sensible/reliable greenlaner?.
Thanks. Thumbs Up
 Procrastination is the thief of time!!  
Post #75098522nd Jan 2011 11:33 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

not sure, most D3's people use are air sprung, a good range of D3's being scapped so most second hand parts are reasonably available, if yer have a concern about "this over that" I recon yer threads going to get very long Shocked

I would detach yerself away from the emotions of owing yer first d3 and enjoy yer hobbies, what breaks can be mended, just a matter of budget Thumbs Up

Post #75098622nd Jan 2011 11:38 pm
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

Fair points, almost sounds sensible, Thumbs Up Thanks dad Laughing

I think too much, and I also have always, and probably will continue to, cherish what I own, knowing what it takes to achieve ownership of such things.
So I am always overly anal in maintaining and looking after them, to the point where it more often than not takes the shine off the items itself as I covert it too much to enjoy their actual reason for being Rolling Eyes
It gets right on the wifes tits , she just calls me tedious Shocked me Whistle I highly resemble that remark Mr. Green
 Procrastination is the thief of time!! 

Last edited by Windowlicker on 22nd Jan 2011 11:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #75099222nd Jan 2011 11:57 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

seat covers. scratches polish out.

otherwise a lada niva. cheap as chips.
although you're more likely to be shot at rather than doing the shootin' Laughing
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #75099322nd Jan 2011 11:58 pm
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Just use what you've got.....

As said before, as set of LR rubber mats & seat covers will protect the interior, if you must, get a box for the dog in the boot.

The air springs are great (you cannot lower coils to get under low branches etc), and if you're worried about scratches you can always pick up a roll of shrink wrap and apply it to the panels when off-roading.

Living in East Yorkshire, you're biggest problem is going to be finding green lanes!! Thumbs Up
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #75102523rd Jan 2011 1:30 am
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

seat covers. mats. enjoy!

Post #75110023rd Jan 2011 1:09 pm
luv_my_v8

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

On my 4th Disco, as of today, and I'm always surprised at how durable the interiors and the paintwork are. I agree with other posters; get some decent seat covers and a load liner. I've just ordered one from Custom Covers. It runs the full length of the load bay (to the back of the front seats), and comes up to window level. It also has a flap that Comes down over the open tailgate to protect that. Made of some kind of canvas. 90 quid.

Have a look at LRO TV on the Land Rover Owner magazine website. They have a comparative test of the Melvill and Moon and Escape Gear seat covers. They test them to destruction! Both come out really well in terms of durability, ease of cleaning, fit and apearance.

HTH

V8

Post #76626224th Feb 2011 12:58 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

what about the additional cost implications (not talking fuel used) there will be the need for road tax, insurance, maintenance (not necessary mileage related, but fix what's broke) 2 car isnt going to be cheap as getting covers or make them yourself to fit even the parts other cover dont; then a quick shake out and wash it's all done Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #76627624th Feb 2011 6:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pete57

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Use your older D3 for mudplugging , shoots etc and buy my nice 07 SE in Buckingham blue and alpaca leather for a bargain price of £20k. 67K miles, phone kit and towing kit. I've been offered £18.5k by a land rover dealership and I've been offered £19k for a part exchange against another vehicle. But you only have until Monday to make a decision!!...... I look after my cars as well.
 D3 Buckingham Blue SE Auto
BMW 325i Convertible
Fiesta 1.4 Zetec
Fiesta1.4TDCi 

Post #76628424th Feb 2011 7:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >