DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

What to do????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
What to do????

I have a dilemma Sad

Love the D3, enjoying owning it, and everything it does,and could do, should I want to do it.........
and there is where the problem is, I want to do a bit more off roading, as and when I feel like it, I am also doing a bit more shooting now,( mainly clays at the mo) but come the end of the year I fancy some game shooting when the season starts again.
My problem is , i am very anal when it comes to looking after things I own, and condition wise my D3 is so nice I really could not adjust my mindset to using it "properly " off road, and when the game season is starting again, I think my head would pop if 5 blokes covered in Censored and wet if raining , were in and out of the vehicle multiple times in the day Big Cry
So basically the concept of getting the vehicle blathered inside and out doesn't appeal to me as I would then end up spending a day cleaning her.
As prices seem strong at the mo, would it make sense to sell mine on now and get either a cheaper higher mileage D3 that hopefully I would covert less, or I fancy the idea of a defender,county or similar just for using and abusing on/off road, not concerning myself with condition,( within reason) and just enjoy it.
Some have said the defender is an agricultural bag of spanners Laughing others have said they love them.
Would be thinking of around 15k on one, so hopefully something modernish, even though that description seems to bypass the defenders entirely Shocked
Then the other problem is , could I commute 60 miles a day in a defender, or would I end up needing a second "normal" car to commute in Sad

My D3 is an HSE in Zermatt, with 36,000 on it, an 06 plate, immaculate condition,inside and out , full LR history, new AT' s , new discs and pads up front, a every extra, bar DVD monitors...
I am thinking around £23,500 ish going by other sales,and the fact having trawled 14 pages of them on piston heads and finding nothing with below 40,000 miles below £25.000 ????
This would leave me plenty for another L/R and some change.
Or alternatively what does anyone think to a swap with an older d3 and cash my way??

Sorry for the mass of ramblings and queries, my heads in a confused state Whistle
 Procrastination is the thief of time!! 

Last edited by Windowlicker on 16th Jan 2011 8:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #74782616th Jan 2011 8:46 pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Keep it...good set of seat covers and rubber floor mats (and bootliner) and the car can returned to posh easily Very Happy

Post #74782816th Jan 2011 8:49 pm
Windowlicker

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks for the reply , Thumbs Up
I have the rubber matts all round, I guess seat covers would ease the pain Smile , I guess also the idea of scraping through trees and past hedges etc makes me cringe, the potential for paint damage must be fairly high???
Post #74783416th Jan 2011 8:53 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Get hypnotised into Student Mode, then you won't worry too much about the grime!! Seat covers to keep the blood & guts off and floor mats to shake out the rest. Sorted. A grubby D3 is a happy D3, it'll always get a wash at the service. Smile

Post #74783516th Jan 2011 8:53 pm
jamieg7762

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I use my d3 for shooting and depending on the shoot you go too, alot have a "guns" transport vehicle.

My dogs come with me when I am both shooting & beating, the d3 is always getting dirty both inside & out.

I usually let the mud dry & the hoover both seats & matts, then a quick wipe down of the leather & plastic with Mer leather cleaner. 30 mins later it is like new again.

Whats it for if not getting dirty and used for what it is built for?

If you get rid of it you will only end up wanting it back!

You could always get in somebody elses vehicle!
 d4 HSE in Corris Grey with Black options pack
D3 with the following
Alive Tuning EGR blanking kit
Alive Tuning Re-map
Alive Atrics console
Samco intercooler hoses (from Alive Tuning)
Alive Tuning De-Cat pipe, lovely tone!
Retrofit OEM Hybrid TV tuner 

Post #74784516th Jan 2011 8:59 pm
RichLech

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had a similar dilemma some years ago when I bought a new Disco 2. I do a lot of shooting, beating and picking up during the season and have three Labradors to cart around. I eventually managed to persuade myself that the only sensible thing to do was to buy a Defender as well ! This meant that I could go out on Sunday without having to sit in Saturdays mud. It also meant I kept the Disco in good shape for towing the caravan on holiday - the best way to holiday with your dogs.

Things got even better last November when I traded in the D2 for my 2007 D3. I know the D3 is designed for off-road but I'm afraid I cannot bring myself to go mud-plugging or wading in it. So I'll stick with the ideal (for me) D3 + Defender combination. I know it's a waste of money but what the hell - each to his own !

As for commuting 60 miles a day in a Defender, I wouldn't even consider it. Too uncomfortable and noisy. Very Happy

Post #74787416th Jan 2011 9:39 pm
Windowlicker

DSL wrote:
Get hypnotised into Student Mode, then you won't worry too much about the grime!! Seat covers to keep the blood & guts off and floor mats to shake out the rest. Sorted. A grubby D3 is a happy D3, it'll always get a wash at the service. Smile

Student mode Very Happy Does that mean I have to start sponging off the state, and assuming the world owes me a living , as I am considerably more intelligent than yow Laughing
Think I will give that one a miss, with regards the cleaning, I know it will clean up, but I can't and don't ever do half a job, so it will always end up many hours spent to get it back right again Confused
Post #74789516th Jan 2011 9:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Nah non sponging, just not worrying too much about having a clean car. I think my car as a student was cleaner than my present one as had to keep the pullingmobile nice. Whistle

Post #74789716th Jan 2011 10:00 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Here you go, good luck mate Wink

http://helpguide.org/mental/emotional_psychological_trauma.htm

Post #74789916th Jan 2011 10:01 pm
Windowlicker

jamieg7762 wrote:
I use my d3 for shooting and depending on the shoot you go too, alot have a "guns" transport vehicle.

My dogs come with me when I am both shooting & beating, the d3 is always getting dirty both inside & out.

I usually let the mud dry & the hoover both seats & matts, then a quick wipe down of the leather & plastic with Mer leather cleaner. 30 mins later it is like new again.

Whats it for if not getting dirty and used for what it is built for?

If you get rid of it you will only end up wanting it back!

You could always get in somebody elses vehicle!

Thanks for the reply Thumbs Up
On the last one I went to, it was a case of everyone pile into someones vehicle, and then all the vehicles drove on all manner of off road tracks/fields to the pegs, though as you say , some shoots have the old trailer with canvas roof for transporting people about.
I was with a mate and 3 others in his disco 2, which is a bit of a bag of spanners , but he doesn't care and it coped admirably, though the inside of the vehicle was horrendous after 5 pairs of muddy boots had been in and out so many times Big Cry I would have had an OCD fit I think Embarassed
Though I really enjoyed the driving part also, and would have liked to have done some myself.
Post #74790016th Jan 2011 10:03 pm
Windowlicker

RichLech wrote:
I had a similar dilemma some years ago when I bought a new Disco 2. I do a lot of shooting, beating and picking up during the season and have three Labradors to cart around. I eventually managed to persuade myself that the only sensible thing to do was to buy a Defender as well ! This meant that I could go out on Sunday without having to sit in Saturdays mud. It also meant I kept the Disco in good shape for towing the caravan on holiday - the best way to holiday with your dogs.

Things got even better last November when I traded in the D2 for my 2007 D3. I know the D3 is designed for off-road but I'm afraid I cannot bring myself to go mud-plugging or wading in it. So I'll stick with the ideal (for me) D3 + Defender combination. I know it's a waste of money but what the hell - each to his own !

As for commuting 60 miles a day in a Defender, I wouldn't even consider it. Too uncomfortable and noisy. Very Happy

That's a nice place to be , having a tool for each job Thumbs Up
Much as I would like to have both, it's not likely happen, and infuses I knew the answer to the commuting in the defender question Laughing Censored !!
Post #74790516th Jan 2011 10:07 pm
Windowlicker

DSL wrote:
Nah non sponging, just not worrying too much about having a clean car. I think my car as a student was cleaner than my present one as had to keep the pullingmobile nice. Whistle

Laughing In your dreams Rolling with laughter

I think my OCD mindset is here to stay, so I may just have to put my blinkers on and see how it goes Sad
Post #74790816th Jan 2011 10:09 pm
hotrocks

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

All Discos are made to be used and abused, my car has to work for a living and has lots of dings and is usually full of wet mud and god knows what. Clean it about twice a year if it is lucky!

I would not miss out on the ride, abilities and comfort factor just to save the leather!

Keep it and clean it if you must!

Anything else would be second best and twice the running cost... you will soon get bored of doing a 30 mile commute in s Defender and buy another Disco so save the pain and keep the one you have got!

IMHO

Post #74790916th Jan 2011 10:10 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You can always get it cleaned up properly when you're done with it... Whistle
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #74793216th Jan 2011 10:38 pm
Windowlicker

Right, this is doing my Censored in now Big Cry
Been looking every night at all sorts of possibility, defenders of every variety, all seem hugely overpriced for what appears to be a very agricultural tool ( I know that is what it is ultimately, but how much Shocked )
They all seem to have obvious rust , here there everywhere, even the newer , higher priced ones.

There are cheaper , higher mileage D3's , but then I wonder about reliability?? I have looked at TD5 and 300 tdi's etc, seem cheap enough, but being honest I would then also want a "normal " vehicle to do the daily grind to work, as I have got used to my creature comforts Whistle

So, would a base model with coils rather an airbags make sense? In a less to go wrong basis, height sensors, compressors , all the various associated electrics etc.
On a green laning basis, would the set ride height be an issue, in which case can they be raised, struts/coils length increased?
Basically I could have my creature comforts, but with less potential issues with a coil sprung, auto which would also be a lesser valued vehicle which I will be more inclined to abuse Very Happy off road and covert less Embarassed

Thanks in advance, Nick
Post #75097322nd Jan 2011 11:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >