Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Whats Got Your Goat Up today ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 143 of 282 <123 ... 142143144 ... 280281282>
pjm-84

Ukraine 

That sounds broken......... I think our pool ID3 is nudging if not over 20k miles in 11months. Range will drop come winter time but it was at 202miles when I picked it up at lunchtime. (we typically dont charge it to 100% so I suspect 90% charged)

Post #226487530th Nov 2021 11:35 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Paul J. wrote:
Mind you, when a car goes as quick as prunes through a short grandmother, that cost is soon forgotten. Wink

That's a new one on me Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #22648911st Dec 2021 7:20 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The cars themselves are great and the tech' is moving quickly. Cars with 400 miles range are launching now and fast charges will give you around 100 miles charge in 10 minutes or so.

However........ the infrastructure isn't there. Super fast chargers are Tesla only really with the odd one here and there other than that.

Motorway services may only have a couple of chargers and invariably they will have someone sat on at least one of them so you are waiting before you even start to charge in many cases and no idea how long for or if/when the person attached will come back, people don't come back and disconnect just because they are fully charged...... Evil or Very Mad

App's to advise where chargers are, what they are and availability are not accurate (the concrete base where a charger was supposed to be is my best example this week), may be available bit and ICE car selfish Censored has decided to park in it, its fooked or, even if working, it will not have been maintained and is a trickle at best.

If you can live with home charging, and many can, they do make sense. I would have one as a second car without question with a home charger as SWMBO's main usage car - it makes sense and would work for us but until I can get a JLR product with 400 miles range I'm, at best, an advocate for a hybrid (but not the current P400e variants).

I breathe a sigh of relief when my jobs ping in and its not an EV at the moment.......

Post #22648931st Dec 2021 7:52 am
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Love my job in the NHS, you’d describe it as middle management with some hands on here than there and the pay is fine.

But Care Homes are advertising for my Banding and they must be getting desperate. They are now paying £15k + more than I am getting at the top of my pay scale plus perks, £5k golden hello and removal expenses.

I knew they paid more, but that’s significant. It’s no wonder people are moving away from the NHS in their droves. Still won’t go that said. I don’t know if I am a fool or an idealist or both.

Post #22648971st Dec 2021 8:04 am
Paul J.

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Super fast chargers are Tesla only really ....

Tesla rapid charger network:

Click image to enlarge

Other rapid chargers, filtered by CCS, showing only Ionity + BP Pulse installations (because these are reliable based on my experience and those of others on EV forums that I frequent):

Click image to enlarge

It is a myth that Tesla has an unrivalled infrastructure. What they did do was to deploy multiple charging units at Motorway services, which is where other providers have some catching up to do. However, these hubs do exist and are usually located very close to major routes.
 An ex-Disco3 / FFRR owner ......

..... now on the JLR electric highway. 

Post #22648991st Dec 2021 8:10 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

leeds wrote:
Having just filled the D4 to the top at a cost of about £76 which took about 5 minutes from pulling to paying to go and now have a range of about 400 miles.

My question how much would it cost at a public recharging state to go from 25% charge to 100% charge and how long to get a range of about 400 miles in a vehicle as capable as the D4?

Brendan

Where in the UK did you manage to fill a D4 for £76? Shocked Diesel's up around £1.50 / litre these days.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22649041st Dec 2021 8:15 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Paul J. wrote:
In 3 years of driving a pure EV, I’ve likely spent less overall time ‘at the pump’ than when I had an ICE car. With a home charge point I start every day with a full ‘tank’, and for long journeys aim to charge at my destination, so no time is spent ‘refuelling’. Indeed, I’ve needed to use the rapid chargers on the road network fewer than 10 times in that period. Thumbs Up

Edited to add that 400 miles of range costs me about £25, although the savings don’t really stack up when factoring in the higher vehicle purchase cost. Mind you, when a car goes as quick as prunes through a short grandmother, that cost is soon forgotten. Wink

I think the EV route only really works reliably if one can "do the day" on a single charge having charged overnight at home (or where ever else one is spending the night). Having to rely on unknown chargers that may be being used, are broken, or just don't exist (all of which astonbuilder found on his journey) means for many EVs are still too risky.

In effect, EVs are in the same place that ICE cars were back in the day when you didn't know if it would get you to the end of the journey without breaking down or needing some fettling en route.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22649061st Dec 2021 8:21 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Paul J. wrote:
Quote:
Super fast chargers are Tesla only really ....

Tesla rapid charger network:

Click image to enlarge

Other rapid chargers, filtered by CCS, showing only Ionity + BP Pulse installations (because these are reliable based on my experience and those of others on EV forums that I frequent):

Click image to enlarge

It is a myth that Tesla has an unrivalled infrastructure. What they did do was to deploy multiple charging units at Motorway services, which is where other providers have some catching up to do. However, these hubs do exist and are usually located very close to major routes.

I see Scotland has already become independent and sailed away ! Laughing
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #22649071st Dec 2021 8:24 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

@ab: you’d have prob been half the time if you’d have just run it dry and called a big yellow taxi. Whistle Whistle

Post #22649081st Dec 2021 8:29 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

or buy a D4 and a trailer for your job ? Laughing

Post #22649171st Dec 2021 9:22 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Have a gennie strapped to the trailer, transport and charging in one. Whistle Whistle

Hmmmmmm, wonder how many EV cars drive around with a suitcase generator and can of fuel in the car. And used when on the road. Just look for the cable coming out the boot, taped along the side and into the charging port. And fumes coming out of the boot. You saw it here first! Whistle Laughing Laughing

Post #22649201st Dec 2021 9:32 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My son looked at providing an emergency quick charge service, but a standard 230v supply doesn't work.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #22649221st Dec 2021 9:36 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Have a gennie strapped to the trailer, transport and charging in one. Whistle Whistle

Hmmmmmm, wonder how many EV cars drive around with a suitcase generator and can of fuel in the car. And used when on the road. Just look for the cable coming out the boot, taped along the side and into the charging port. And fumes coming out of the boot. You saw it here first! Whistle Laughing Laughing

Actually saw it on Top Gear first.... Whistle Whistle Whistle
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #22649241st Dec 2021 9:49 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Forgot about that. Embarassed Embarassed And very stylish it is too. Thumbs Up

Post #22649251st Dec 2021 9:52 am