Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Wheel alignment, camber and steering issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andy296

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Wheel alignment, camber and steering issue

I have an issue with my Discovery 4 steering and I hoping for some advice....

I noticed uneven tyre wear on the front wheels so I popped into my local tyre garage to get it aligned. They had several attempts at getting it right but struggled to get it aligned properly so the steering wheel was straight

Eventually they gave up. Gave me my money back and told me to go to LR to sort it. They couldn’t understand why they would set it and 5 after a few miles it was out again and suggested the car was at fault.

LR had a go and said the car was fine but they struggled as well and said it was probably due to uneven tyre wear. So a few months later I bought a complete set of new Pirelli tyres and LR aligned it again but I am still not convinced it is right so these are the symptoms:

On a flat bit of tarmac the steering is dead straight but on your average road which of course has a camber I often have to apply right hand lock (see photo)

to make the vehicle go in a straight line. I accept that with camber I would have to hold the car in a straight line as there is a tendency the car steering will pull it left but I am surprised I need to physically turn it towards the right ie away from dead straight. This does occur on seemingly flat roads including motorways albeit not so pronounced. When it does occur if you move to the centre of the road the wheel is straight and on the other side of the road the pull required is reversed so I am applying LH lock

LR state the vehicle is correct and so as this is the first vehicle I have owned which weighs over 2 tonnes, 4x4 with huge wheels I am after just advice as to whether correction to this level ie applying lock to travel in a straight line and sensitivity to slight cambers is normal for a Discovery

Any help you can give would be gratefully received

Last edited by Andy296 on 26th Mar 2018 1:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #193033326th Mar 2018 9:11 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
I often have to apply right hand lock up to 1/4 turn to make the vehicle go in a straight line.

Shocked

There must be something very seriously wrong. Are you sure you mean a 1/4 of a turn?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #193033526th Mar 2018 9:22 am
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Was it done on Hunter four wheel alignment, normal height and in tight tolerance mode?

Post #193033626th Mar 2018 9:24 am
Andy296

rrhool wrote:
Quote:
I often have to apply right hand lock up to 1/4 turn to make the vehicle go in a straight line.

Shocked

There must be something very seriously wrong. Are you sure you mean a 1/4 of a turn?

Thanks for your reply

Sorry quarter turn might be a bit misleading. A better way to describe is where the oval badge is pointing down about 45 degrees. I have taken a photo which might be easier. This is worse case scenario- sometimes it is less especially on a motorway but is still definitely rh lock to a degreee

Post #193037526th Mar 2018 12:33 pm
Andy296

LittleG wrote:
Was it done on Hunter four wheel alignment, normal height and in tight tolerance mode?

Thanks for your reply. Not sure re the type of alignment or tight tolerance mode as it was at the land rover dealership but was in normal height as I specificallly asked.

Post #193037626th Mar 2018 12:35 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Wheel alignment, camber and steering issue

Andy296 wrote:

I agree, 1/4 turn to keep it straight on a camber ,is unheard of IMHO. When my D3 starts to need any input to keep it straight , its usually worn bushes at fault , but its never had been more than a few degrees.

Post #193037726th Mar 2018 12:39 pm
RRH

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I've just had our D4 done on a Hunter rig in Liverpool.

It was showing red on most readings, and I similarly had to apply lock to keep it straight resulting in tyre wear.

They got most of it bang on first time, but had to order a steering rack end (for the extortionate sum of £19 lol) as the nut had seized.

Everything now sorted and it drives nice and true. The 4 wheel alignment cost me £80 inc vat, the 'repair' was £90.

The only advice I'd offer is to make sure its a Hunter rig - this might be of help https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

Simon Smile

Post #193038626th Mar 2018 1:12 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Check the suspension heights all round, from the centre of the wheel up to the wheel arch.

Post #193045726th Mar 2018 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >